VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason why that I made this thread is that people who search around on the net will find it so it is not just meant for Vogons. 😀

For V1 and V2 these cards are pretty easy to work with and any stick on cooler (3M thermal adhesive tape) will be more than enough. Don't use any epoxy or anything that will create a permanent bond.

For Banshee and Voodoo 3. Be very careful when trying to remove the coolers from these cards especially if thermal epoxy has been used. There are two very similar methods to removing coolers that used the epoxy. Both are the same except one goes a step further to chill the card in a freezer. If you can't bend the cooler with a flat tip screwdriver but instead the pcb bends be very careful. The bga can pull a trace from the pcb and the bga package can crack. If the bga package cracks and doesn't go across the die you must apply pressure to allow the gpu to function correctly again. I learned the hard way this morning. If the die cracks then you have a brick but it can still serve as a donor for other cards as parts.

For V5 the task is very easy, a few min in the freezer, any swipe card, and a flat tip screwdriver. The coolers are very thin and bend very easily so they pop off. Don't try to bend them all in one go but work a little more each time you apply pressure. The epoxy will crack as the cooler bends then pop off with a ringing sound.

To clean up the epoxy on Banshee up through to v56k all you need is 91% grade rubbing alcohol. You can reuse the stock cooler to help clean the gpu free of epoxy by applying some alcohol on the gpu and then placing the cooler back on. After a few min you can then scrape some of the epoxy off. Will take two or three times to full clean up. Once done you have a few choices, either stick on or bolt mounted/push pin. I prefer bolt as it is full secure and if the bga package cracks you can recover the card that would have been bricked.

One thing to keep in mind for the thermal tape that was used on the V3 it can be fairly strong so keep an eye on the pcb and core. For the cards that have the very small cooler like the v3 2k the cooler comes off with ease.

The choices for thermal compound are pretty good but arctic silver 5 works great on these older cards and is cheaper than 3M thermal tape. It acts like a glue as it sets in but takes time but medical or scotch tape will help keep the cooler in place if there is no mounting holes in place.

For a little extra cooling vram coolers to the backside of the gpu will help with temps and allow for slightly higher clocks when overclocking. For Banshee and V3 cards cooling the mosfet that powers the gpu will help to extend the life of the card as well further improve stability.

Quick vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZj6F8wGyV4

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 9, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually say dripping compressed air coolant on the heatsink is better instead. This freezes it within seconds and you can tell how well it's frozen. Makes the awful STB thermal glue pop off nicely with the skimpy heatsink 😁

If you stick the card in the freezer, you'll damage the electrolyte in the surface mounted capacitors (unless you feel like replacing them of course, I'm not in the mood for soldering tweezers!)

Reply 2 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you stick the card in the freezer, you'll damage the electrolyte in the surface mounted capacitors

No you won't. Most electrolytics are rated down to -40C operating temperature, and they can take short periods of even more extreme temperatures if they're not in use at the time. Even a chest freezer at its lowest setting is highly unlikely to go under -20C or so.

Reply 3 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
raymangold22 wrote:

I actually say dripping compressed air coolant on the heatsink is better instead. This freezes it within seconds and you can tell how well it's frozen. Makes the awful STB thermal glue pop off nicely with the skimpy heatsink 😁

Ironically, I did this to a brown recluse I saw crawling around my apartment while installing a 3dfx card (no heatsinks.) It froze as I approached it, then it literally froze! I was all like, "Hasta la vista, baby." 😎 Then I stabbed it with my Japanese katana and it broke. Because I'm all weird like that. I freaking hate spiders. I hate it when they try to climb in my computer and touch my stuff.

(Thankfully I didn't put a hole in the carpet with my sword...)

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 4 of 9, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

Because I'm all weird like that. I freaking hate spiders. I hate it when they try to climb in my computer and touch my stuff.

Sorry to derail the thread, but this made me think of..

J91W4t.jpg

Reply 6 of 9, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those are nice. I wonder if I would still have room for my Ageia PhysX PPU? I currently don't have it installed, but to me it's almost like the 3dfx of PhysX. I really only used it for Cellfactor, City of Heroes, and Bet On Soldier. BoS has that stupid Starforce though. I almost want to buy it again on GamersGate just to eliminate the DRM.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 7 of 9, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

For V2's, if you can find them, you want the Tennmax Stealth V2 coolers.

I have a bunch of V2's and they really can get hot - but I never managed to overheat them to such degree that a cooler was needed though. Are these really there for cooling purpose, or just standing there as modding eye-candy?

Reply 8 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I have a bunch of V2's and they really can get hot - but I never managed to overheat them to such degree that a cooler was needed though. Are these really there for cooling purpose, or just standing there as modding eye-candy?

Both but those coolers are very rare and sometimes worth more than the cards they are installed on. Any simple cooler with thermal adhesive tape will do but they have to be thin so that there is room between the cooler and the card in the next slot.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 9, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I have 2 V2 from Diamond, one overheats quite badly, without a fan near it, it will start showing some bad artifacts or freeze after 5 minutes...