VOGONS

Voodoo 5 5500 safe to test

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive just bought a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 and its missing the coolers.
I want to test it if it is functional, but i am not sure will it be such a good idea to do it with out its active cooling.

Here are 2 images:

VoodooTOP.jpg
VoodooBOT.jpg

Ive bought these on a flea market, so its possible that some one didnt know how to start it and just took what he can salvage.

Reply 1 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be fine if you just want to boot with it to check it if works, and maybe quickly start a game or benchmark to check that 3D is working. I wouldn't actually run through a full benchmark or try gaming with it though.
It won't die instantly if you run it with no fans. A few minutes at most should be fine.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, after finding out that my Dell Optiplex GX280 does not have a valid AGP slot i went to my sisters place to dig up her old PC which doesnt have an operating system / HDD.

Ive inserted the card and started the PC.

The Graphics card POST screen was displayed successfully and everything was correct, i entered the PC bios with out any graphical glitch. So i guess this is quite the chance that its fully functional.

All thats left now is to get a pair of coolers and do a 3D benchmark. 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:
Ok, after finding out that my Dell Optiplex GX280 does not have a valid AGP slot i went to my sisters place to dig up her old PC […]
Show full quote

Ok, after finding out that my Dell Optiplex GX280 does not have a valid AGP slot i went to my sisters place to dig up her old PC which doesnt have an operating system / HDD.

Ive inserted the card and started the PC.

The Graphics card POST screen was displayed successfully and everything was correct, i entered the PC bios with out any graphical glitch. So i guess this is quite the chance that its fully functional.

All thats left now is to get a pair of coolers and do a 3D benchmark. 😀

This sounds pretty much just like the history of my first V5 5500. I also got mine from a flea market - it was covered not just with dust, but also with hard-core dirt. After I enthusiastically came home, I spent at least an hour on cleaning and drying the card... but it worked! Those things never die!

Have fun with yours! 😊

Reply 8 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you fixed the fan issue yet? If not there is plenty of choices for coolers out there and arctic silver 5 works wonders on these VSA era cards. As for removing the crappy stock coolers just stick it in the freezer for a few min then lightly bend one of the corners of each cooler and they will pop off with a pinging sound. Use 90%+ rubbing alcohol to remove the old thermal epoxy.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No i havent, im still looking for valid 4cm coolers, hard to find good quality ones. I managed to find some 6cm Thermaltakes, but no 4cm.

If you would be kind to tell a little about this, with what can i replace the default heat sinks and what paste to use so it sticks to the chip? Id be really thankful 😀

Reply 10 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just use chipset coolers with universal mount and apply arctic silver 5 to the gpu as a small blob or carefully spread a thin layer.
The other option is this but that requires a decent drill and a little skill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZj6F8wGyV4 The coolers I got cheap for like $1 together but I had to pay $4 just for the fans. Even with the better coolers and vastly better thermal compound there was still plenty of heat being passed through the pcb so I used Zalman Ramsinks. You could mod some coolers but I strongly recommend that you use the bolt method to mount the coolers instead of using epoxy to bond them to the card. Only true retards do the epoxy method, if you want to use 3M thermal adhesive tape that will work just fine and safe to remove.

Reply 11 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

No i havent, im still looking for valid 4cm coolers, hard to find good quality ones. I managed to find some 6cm Thermaltakes, but no 4cm.

If you would be kind to tell a little about this, with what can i replace the default heat sinks and what paste to use so it sticks to the chip? Id be really thankful 😀

I'm using an el-cheapo titans VGA cooling kit. Here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/149/dscf9857mc9.jpg/
http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl … =1231551864/8#8

Works fine since January 2009 😀

The only thing is - its not really silent...Well it is... but its not that silent... Actually I may be too harsh on the thing, but still I like retro systems as silent as possible 😀

Reply 12 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, cool. Ive found some aluminium radiators, but nothing serious, just lame chipset ones.
I will post a picture as soon as i get my camera back. And add more text.

Reply 13 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, ive dug up some stuff, mostly useless, but ive found these two on an auction:

http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Thermaltake-Ve … 77725-oglas.htm

Should i buy them and try to find appropriate radiators?
Also my dad can drill the holes and the screw thread. He has all the machinery/tools at the army base workshop. So i can probably find some metal radiators and mod them.

Reply 14 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those fans look great for the task but I suggest that you look for decent coolers. If you are going to do it may as well do it right and not have to bother with it again. 😀

Reply 15 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those fans are 6x6cm man! Six ! Voodoo used 3-4cm ones i think. Even if you drill the holes, I doubt the card would be able to 'stand' by the force of AGP slot alone with fans such as that (and probably with some crazy radiators).

Just go to radio shack and get some cheap ass 3cm fans, connect them to the 12V line or to the cards own power supply and grab some radiators off some random scrapped mainboards that you can find for chips at buvljak (flea market) and glue it all together, or use the retention clips that you can also salvage from random old coolers. Voodoo 5 5500 already has holes for the 3cm fans so there is no need to drill! Maaan - whatever you do, please do not destroy the card 😀

Reply 16 of 22, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i dont have radio shack here 😁

But those Tts sure look sick! Well, those are better than my idea of using an 13000RPM 33dB 1U rack fans xD
That would rip off the radiator and fly out of the housing.

thing is its hard to find good looking and good quality 40x40/35x35 fans around here 😒
But im still searching, will update this thread as i progress 😀

Reply 17 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

i dont have radio shack here 😁

Yes you do (if you are in Serbia/Belgrade). It was called "radio klub", but now they changed the name to Kelco. Here is the link to their catalog of coolers:
http://www.kelco.rs/katalog/komponente.php?IDgroupweb=8320
Its the kind of shop where you feel like a child in a candy store. 😊

Oh and... those TTs arent really that special; they are just the standard 6cm case fans with 1.5-3k RPM (if you combine it with a fan controller) taken out of a TT case. The only thing that differs from a standard el-cheapo made in China 50-cents fan is their orange color. I know, because I had them in my TT xaser 3 😉

Reply 18 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:

Those fans are 6x6cm man! Six ! Voodoo used 3-4cm ones i think. Even if you drill the holes, I doubt the card would be able to 'stand' by the force of AGP slot alone with fans such as that (and probably with some crazy radiators).

Just go to radio shack and get some cheap ass 3cm fans, connect them to the 12V line or to the cards own power supply and grab some radiators off some random scrapped mainboards that you can find for chips at buvljak (flea market) and glue it all together, or use the retention clips that you can also salvage from random old coolers. Voodoo 5 5500 already has holes for the 3cm fans so there is no need to drill! Maaan - whatever you do, please do not destroy the card 😀

Why would anyone drill a card? If anyone did they certainly deserve the Darwin award. Drill the blocks and use bolts to mount through already existing holes that were meant for push pins. It works very well and anyone who has done it knows that it isn't rocket science.

Reply 19 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Why would anyone drill a card? If anyone did they certainly deserve the Darwin award.

Beats me. But they still do it, and this one deserves one such award:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/91/dscn0765kh8.jpg

After seeing quite a few such attempts I idiotically assumed that he would drill the card and not the heat sinks. Stupid me 😅