VOGONS

Common searches

(WANTED) BetaArchive login details

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by 5247846

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They must be from an Advanced Member so I can download some exclusive files.
Password will be left intact. I promise.

Regards,
Javier Donoso.

Reply 3 of 33, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because pretty much anyone can find this thread on google and use the username and password for their own malicious purposes. 🤣 Also, it probably goes against the TOS to share an account rather than having other people sign up for it.

Reply 7 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Did anyone read the home page for that site? They host abandonware.

Big deal. I just don't get why you are so extremely against adandonware sites or sites that have even a slightly hint towards them. I guess you can't even visit assemblergames.com with that attitude. Alot of software would have been lost forever if it weren't for those sites or warez groups in general back in the 80s-90s.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Did anyone read the home page for that site? They host abandonware.

I just don't get why you are so extremely against adandonware sites

Because it's illegal? Who ever gave them the legal right to preserve those games in the first place? And you can preserve old games without distributing them.

Reply 9 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it were so illegal the copyright providers would crack down on it. It's their job, and it would be very easy to stop open abandonware sites. What I don't gett is why you are on such a crusade against it? It's not your property and you have no responsibility for it. Are you trying to be the internet police?

So rare old software should be preserved for the few who has the possibility to pay outrageous prices for it? You know that is what would happen. The whole retro and old hardware scene would be a sad place.

Reply 10 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

If it were so illegal the copyright providers would crack down on it. It's their job, and it would be very easy to stop open abandonware sites. What I don't gett is why you are on such a crusade against it? It's not your property and you have no responsibility for it. Are you trying to be the internet police?

So rare old software should be preserved for the few who has the possibility to pay outrageous prices for it? You know that is what would happen. The whole retro and old hardware scene would be a sad place.

The point still remains that distributing copyrighted material without the owners permission is a crime. Claiming that not allowing distribution would in some way impoverish the vintage gaming community is not a legal or moral justification for theft.

Reply 11 of 33, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's quite easily construed as a moral justification at an indiviudal by anyone who cares to do so, as that individual's morals are a matter for that individual.

Legally it's quite different.

For this site - as the official home of dosbox - the view has normally been that we don't want open links to sites distributing or condoning abandonware, whether or not people here use them.

I'm surprised the thread hasn't been locked.

Reply 12 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing is linking directly to a download somewhere else or publishing the download directly here, but not being able to even talk about a site who maybe has some abandonware stuff among its legal files is taken it too far in my opinion. The threadstarter didn't specify what files he needed, and untill he does that I think he should have the benefit of the doubt.

Also I just don't understand why some has so much grudge against it. For me it looks like it's their personal crusade. Do you do the same when someone is passing you on the highway and breaking the speedlimit? Both is illegal, but do you write down the number plate, follow them and tell them to slow down and report them to the police?

Reply 13 of 33, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣

The abandonware issue is site policy, it's been stated many times, whether or not some people preach it with religious fervour or just see abandonware-related discussion as something to keep muted. Other sites have similar-ish rules - try selling sgi cd's on nekochan.net for example. In our case, dosbox wants to remain untarnished and not be directly associated with abandonware on it's own official site. I'm not sure it's so much about morals or legality, as about reputation and portraying integrity in order to facilitate the development and use of dosbox.

But re-reading this thread, as you say - it's not clear what the OP was/is ultimately after in the first place.

Reply 14 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Two reasons for my crusade against abandonware:
- this forum and other projects I work for need to be "clean" and not be associated with abandonware
- i hate it when people use the term abandonware as if it were a legal term or their given right to download abandoned software and to spread the word. I'dvrather see them say "i know it's not right but I used to own this game but lost the disks,so I illegally downloaded it" than "I downloaded this game and you need to help me play it!".

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5247846 wrote:
They must be from an Advanced Member so I can download some exclusive files. Password will be left intact. I promise. […]
Show full quote

Regards,
Javier Donoso.

Why don't you register there and download the files yourself?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 33, by 5247846

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
5247846 wrote:
They must be from an Advanced Member so I can download some exclusive files. Password will be left intact. I promise. […]
Show full quote

Regards,
Javier Donoso.

Why don't you register there and download the files yourself?

Unfortunately I can't. I got banned there because of Andy's fault!

Reply 19 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5247846 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Why? So others can be banned for your ban evasion?

Take a hint.

Because I attempted to join some group too many times.
Even so, there must be a solution for my problem!

What files are you trying to download anyway?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!