VOGONS

Rendition Verite Thread

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah they aren't great for D3D or OpenGL, and they tend to be blurry 2D cards, and DOS VGA modes are incredibly slow.

The RRedline/Speedy3D games can be interesting, like those mentioned by vetz. It's pretty amazing to see a V1000 running Grand Prix Legends complete with edge anti-aliasing. The V1000 accelerated versions of Quake, Quake2 and Hexen2 are unique as well.

I admit that I am attached to them only because I was a bit of a Rendition fan back in 1997-8 and had a Stealth II + Voodoo1 setup at the time. V2000 typically has better image quality than Voodoo1. It left an impression on me. I was also closely following the V3300 and V4400 rumors until it was clear they were never coming out.

Reply 261 of 652, by jacco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tincup wrote:

that sounds about right Vetz. One went for 24 plus S/H a couple of weeks ago.

I want pay for, but if i ask a american seller for shipping to europe then i receive a answer 'sorry no' and that was everything.

😖

Reply 263 of 652, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

... In terms of gamesupport they are fairly useless as it is basically only Indycar Racing II...

For me that support is far from useless - it is enough, and well the worth 20-30 buck entry fee. ICR2 Rendition is a wonderfull window into early 3D, which racing sims were soon to adopt agrressively, and a very well done one at that. For most people this will be of little interest, but for the racing buff, and one that enjoys older sims too, it's a real eye-opener.

In racing games the total fucus is on the road ahead - basically a 1" high strip of horizon, that only 3D [along with antialiasing] can render in clear enough detail and spaciality as to telegraph to the driver [you] the sort of feedback needed for efficient braking, overtaking, and finding the correct line through a corner.

Racing, you rarely have the luxury of kicking back to admire the scenery, one reason it is easier to criticize 3D implementation in other types of games since taking in the big picture, and probably why it took some years for the art to appear to have advanced very far. But in brute terms of clear 3D rendering ICR2 was both one of the first, and quite good.

I even upgraded my older 4mb S-220 recently with a QDI 8mb, and runs quite smoothly and has good image quality.

Last edited by tincup on 2012-11-27, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 264 of 652, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was an offer just recently from Czech Republic:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rendition-Verite-2200- … =item2ec33b279d

Not exactly cheap, but only three different bidders, so there is hope.

I just recently found my old card (QDI 8MB AGP) on my parents' attic together with my M3D so if I ever find the time I will give it a go. First 3D accelerator for me. I can't say exactly when I got it but it must have been quite late in the chips life, rather cheap (I think 70,- DM at the time). I can remember the beta drivers coming out, though.
It was a nice card for playing Tomb Raider 1 although the PowerVR version had somewhat better performance.

Reply 265 of 652, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you like old Papyrus games you want to have a Vérité.

idspispopd wrote:

I have two of those, good to see them valued 😀

Reply 266 of 652, by jacco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your lucky
I found nothing .
No stealt ii s220 found in europe.
I from netherlands.
Strange that many people have rendition verity to show here but nobody who want sell a card.
Only for collecting people to show it but nothing more.

😒

Reply 267 of 652, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jacco wrote:

Strange that many people have rendition verity to show here but nobody who want sell a card.
Only for collecting people to show it but nothing more.

😒

I've only got one V1000 card and one V2200. I wish I could sell you one, but these cards are not that common these days unfortunately. There were a person (can't remember name) here which got his thread deleted for trying to see if there were some interest in his videocards, rendition included. Maybe if you're lucky he will contact you through PM or he will sell them on vintage-gaming or amibay forums.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 268 of 652, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jacco, sometimes it can take a while to track things down - in some cases years if you are not prepared to pay big $$$. That's just the nature of retro hardware - especially the parts that were never too plentiful to start out with. Keep at it, and like I said before spread your net wider; try searching for other brands that made Rendition Verite cards.

Reply 270 of 652, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jacco wrote:

Ok nobody have it and pm me nothing .
Now i have a cheap kasan blitz 2200 card from a friend .

That's real good! Good luck with your new acquisition 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 272 of 652, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try the V2200 reference drivers:

http://download.micron.com/downloads/itg/V2k-3.0b5.zip

Should work with all 2200 cards.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 273 of 652, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just saw that you asked about drivers here and in the thread you started.
Like I wrote there, you can try the 3.0 beta 5 reference drivers but don't expect them to be the best solution for you. I installed them when they came out, and I remember symptoms like icon corruption after running a game.

Asides from this special Rendition card I have never heard of Kasan either.
The Rendition SDK contains links to several V1000 and V2200 cards (definitely not all of them since the Bonny & Clyde is not mentioned).
V2x00 cards:
Blitz2200 by Kasan
DVT5200 by Data Expert
GLadiator by DSystems
Stealth II S220 by Diamond (V2100)
Thriller 3D by Hercules
V-Raptor 3D by Genoa Systems
Vision 1 by QDI
Warrior 3D by InnoVISION

V1000 cards:
3D Blaster PCI by Creative Labs
Intense 3D 100 by Intergraph
Magic Video 3D by IO Magic
miroCRYSTAL VRX by Miro
Rider 3D by InnoVISION
Screamin' 3D by Sierra
Tornado 3D by Max 2 Tech
Total3D by Canopus

I didn't bother to extract the links to list them here since most will probably be dead. This one is: http://www.kasan.co.kr/support/driver/blitz2200.html (Domain for sale, not in archive.org)

Reply 274 of 652, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have expanded my V1000 benchmarks page and I have upload my vQuake patch collection too:
http://gona.mactar.hu/v1000/

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 275 of 652, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I went digging. Here's a particularily rare old version of VQuake the googles can't find.

Thanks for the find!
Might I ask what's special about it? Any speed or visual improvements?

On my typical SiS 160MHz 486 VQuake is significantly less speedy than Voodoo1+GLQuake. Can't cope well with 640x480 with weaker CPU... though V1 and V2 do great 😐
...and the card is Verite v2200 so it should compare with V1 at least in some aspects.
I would like some "mega" edition of VQuake... 😀

Reply 276 of 652, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

512x384 ftw. VQuake just does not scale and minigl of 3dfx can demand less from CPU. Proper version taking advantage of V2000 was not published. Read the text files to play with anti-aliasing and water warping. Find which r_surfacelookup works better for you. Also slow CPUs should prefer widescreens- if you have such display go for lower vertical resolution.

Reply 277 of 652, by jacco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here does nothing pm me about a diamond stealth .
I have buy a stealth s220 without this site.
I know newbies are not important on these sites.

This site is Only for colletors who can show newbies his produkts and newbies can only watch to see big collectors showing his overpriced videocards from stupid places like ebay.

not my place here to ask something .

Reply 278 of 652, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stealth II S220 is really not that amazing. It's a very basic card and it gets blurry at higher resolutions (most Rendition cards do).

I'd like to see a photo of that Kasan Blitz 2200. There's no reason that card shouldn't work with the Rendition reference drivers.

Reply 279 of 652, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now on VogonsDrivers:

Rendition - BigRRed Glide Wrapper v4.1c
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=491
"this is a newer (beta) version of the BigRRed wrapper, with some further enhancements for Unreal."

Rendition - BigRRed Glide Wrapper v4.1 source
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=492
Source code for BigRRed Release 4.1 - 19980606
Also includes:
- BigRRed Release 4.1 - 19980606 binary and readme
- BigRRed Release 4.1c - 19980621 binary and readme
(BigRRed Release 4.1c source not included/available)

Enjoy!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto