VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just recently figured out this trick as I had problems using the Avermedia software on the 3DFX cards (had to use a HDMI upscaler which gives low quality) for it to sync properly in 640x480. Instead of using the Avermedia software, I use VLC or VideoLAN (VirtualDub can also be used).

Here are some sampling videos I just captured:
Tomb Raider 320x240 as captured in VLC:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57506833/files/tombra … oft_320x240.mpg (130MB) (original VLC file is 1.37GB)
Youtube: http://youtu.be/3sHCV_lACc0

Tomb Raider 320x240 streched to how it is viewable on a regular monitor (fullscreen) using Sony Vegas Pro 10:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57506833/files/tombra … 0_stretched.mpg (130MB)
Youtube: http://youtu.be/19oziTDTJ9s

Larry 1 and Alley Cat EGA and CGA. Showing unstretched and stretched:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57506833/files/Larry1 … atEGA%26CGA.mpg (300MB)
or Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYgwxlIpWN8&feature=youtu.be
There are no sound in this video as I don't know how to capture the PC speaker directly. Probably you need some sort of cable to the line-in on the soundcard (if someone know how to do this, please reply!). Also stetching the videos give little to no quality loss if done properly.

I also upscaled the videos to 1024x768 so that Youtube will accept them as HD material, which is alot better bitrate. Though a game like Tomb Raider with all that movement and "pixel-noise" really doesn't work well on Youtube.

How to setup VLC for capture:
1. Open Capture Device
2. Then select DirectShow, Avermedia HD Capture and the sound device that has the sound input.
3. Click Advanced Options and check Device Properties, click OK.
4. Click Play
5. Click OK on the first window that pops up.
6. On the next one select 60FPS as framerate and then 640x480 resolution. (select higher if you intend to capture in higher resolutions)
7. Click OK on all the next windows.
8. VLC will now show the captured image, but it is not in-sync with DOS atm.
9. Go into DOS mode, start a 640x480 program/game (I use Tomb Raider's main menu). VLC should sync and show the image. Quit the program. (If you don't have a device/computer which can't show 640x480, then sync the image on another computer unplug the VGA cable and connect it to the other machine. You have around 20 seconds before the "No signal" screen appears.)
10. You should be back in DOS with VLC still showing the DOS prompt.
11. Start the program of your choice and capture away! If you restart your computer you will also be able to capture the BIOS screen and the bootup (this depends a bit on the graphics card as well, for instance the Rendition cards don't like this. ATI Rage and S3 Virge works nicely).
12. Using VLC there is no stop in the recording if the resolution changes. I also believe, but have not tested that 1080p can be recorded with 60fps using VLC.

How to capture with VLC:
1. Make sure under View -> Advanced control is checked so that you see a red button under the screen on the left side.
2. Click that button to record. Videos (uncompressed) go by default into the "My Videos" folder.
3. If you want to change the default folder then go into
Tools -> Preferences -> Show Settings "All" -> Input and Codecs -> In the Input and Codecs window find "Record Directory or Filename" and then input your desired directory.

Some more hints and tricks:

1. VLC have a much higher delay, so playing a game directly through this program can be quite difficult. If you don't have it already, a VGA splitter is the way to go.

2. The trick I describe works in DOS, but what about Windows stuff that is below 640x480? I had alot of problems capturing VGA from Destruction Derby on the S3 Virge. It runs at 512x384 @ 70hz in Windows. Turns out that if you have a S3 Virge GX2 card with TV-out you can turn on both VGA and TV-output at the same time (other cards might work as well). This has the effect that all resolutions and refreshrates on VGA signals are also scaled to 720x480 (NTSC) which is compatible with the Avermedia card. This "combo" mode also works in MS-DOS which gives another alternative to capture DOS stuff. You can see how the quality turned out in my comparison video on Destruction Derby.

3. Sometimes I've experienced the picture not to be 100% stable (jumping up and down), but having the signal go through a 3DFX Voodoo card can help getting rid of this problem.

You can argue that all DOS stuff can be captured in DOSbox, but I feel it's a bit more interesting when it is actually captured on the real hardware.

PS. I can't gurantee that every resolution and game works using this method.

Last edited by vetz on 2013-01-13, 21:54. Edited 4 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What codec do you use? (lossless?)

I usually use VirtualDub for capturing, but it seems to be promising if VLC continues recording on resolution change. How does it behave if the refresh rate changes?
A typical mode change is from Textmode 720x400 at 70 Hz to 640x480 at 60 Hz.

How do you encode the video data that contains different resolutions in the same stream?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 36, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

What codec do you use? (lossless?)

I use lossless. If you try to use the convert/save option you can only use a maximum of 9999kb/sec bitrate which is too low. Also it is alot easier just to press the record button in the main window than to fiddle around with codecs.

elianda wrote:

How does it behave if the refresh rate changes?
A typical mode change is from Textmode 720x400 at 70 Hz to 640x480 at 60 Hz.

As far as I have seen nothing stops the recording. Even if you restart the computer you are capturing from it continues to record. I posted a video on Youtube featuring exactly what you are describing yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UvDRc_rdo&feature=g-u-u
(I was annoyed by the other low quality 3DFX logo intro's that is on Youtube)

elianda wrote:

How do you encode the video data that contains different resolutions in the same stream?

All video is recorded in 640x480 by VLC. Then you have to use a editing program (I use Sony Vegas Pro) to vertical stretch (horizontal is always OK) the footage into the correct aspect ratio. See my sample videos. The sample videos have been compressed with MPEG-2 at 30.000kb/sec VBR and upscaled to 1024x768 resolution.

Reply 3 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently noticed some quirk with the card:
I have a main screen that usually runs at 1920x1200 60 Hz DVI on a NVidia GTX570. For recording I clone this to the Avermedia Card to HDMI.
So the main screen reduces to 1920x1080p as the avermedia supports. Avermedia gets the main output for resolution settings and shows 30 Hz.
So far so good, sounds all right...

On the recording machine I noticed in VirtualDub with the Avermedia as DirectShow device that the output was interlaced. In the Aver-Mediacenter it didn't showed interlaced. So I believed what VirtualDub showed.

The thing that fixed it, was to open the NVidia Control Panel touch the 30 Hz menu for the Avermedia without changing anything and hit 'Apply'. Magically the interlaced output changed to progressive on the Virtualdub preview.

I am not sure why this happens, if the NVidia driver sets something wrong after enabling a different display mode?
Why does the Aver Mediacenter looks like progressive if DirectShow Capture Applications look like interlaced? (Auto-Deinterlacer running?)
Anyway if this problem comes up, maybe this helps.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 4 of 36, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a stupid thought;

Example; you play at 320x240. Why not record it at 640x480 and then decrease the resolution of the recorded movie to 320x240?

(512x384 would be recorded in 1024x768 and downscaled back to 512x384, etc)

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 36, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you need to use a sound card in order to capture pc speaker sound. Most of them have a pc speaker input. There you connect a cable whose other side is connected on the pc speaker header on the motherboard(I think you just need a single cable, connecting just one of the two pc speaker pins). Then you can use the sound card's line out.

Reply 6 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still digesting all the info in this thread

vetz wrote:

Probably you need some sort of cable to the line-in on the soundcard (if someone know how to do this, please reply!). Also stetching the videos give little to no quality loss if done properly.

I made a video on routing the PC Speaker cable to the PC SPK pins on many Sound Cards. I once made a cable, directly into line-in but I smelt something burning. I think the PC speaker signal is too strong and needs some circuitry to go into a line-in. Hence I just use a Sound Card. 😵

EDIT:

Excellent information in this thread!

The ability of S-Video to just capture, regardless of resolution is quite handy. Booting, BIOS, Post screen, VGA game, SVGA game, odd resolutions, it doesn't matter.

But the quality isn't as nice as RGB capture, that's for sure.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 36, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks all. I should have updated that text some time ago. Gona sent me a PM about it some time ago explaining the PC SPK pins, so if I ever need to capture it I'll know how 😀

The ability of S-Video to just capture, regardless of resolution is quite handy. Booting, BIOS, Post screen, VGA game, SVGA game, odd resolutions, it doesn't matter.

But the quality isn't as nice as RGB capture, that's for sure.

That is true about S-video. It is less picky, but even on low 320x200 resolutions it can't match VGA in colors, sharpness and quality. Also VGA capture is progressive, meaning you don't have to deinterlace the picture as with the S-video capture. In many games with a good videocard (Matrox and Voodoo3 are my favorites) it gives so good quality that it is hard to tell the difference between direct capture from DOSBox and capture from a retro computer. There are VGA capture cards that probably are less picky than the Avermedia, but they are probably WAY more expensive. There aren't many choices for lowprice VGA capture cards these days that can capture HD, and the Avermedia is not sold as a below 640x480 capture device.It is designed to work on modern VGA and HDMI connections. The quirks I've found has not been a dealbreaker so far. The only thing that really annoys me is 800x600 on Voodoo1&2 cards! I'm going to try and buy the Jamma board (cheap on Ebay) and see if that can fix it.

Here's a stupid thought;

Example; you play at 320x240. Why not record it at 640x480 and then decrease the resolution of the recorded movie to 320x240?

(512x384 would be recorded in 1024x768 and downscaled back to 512x384, etc)

Why do you want to scale back again? On the Avermedia all resolutions below 640x480 are captured as 640x480. This is much more preferred than capturing in 320x200 and then upscaling. The pixel stretching done directly by the card is the same you'll see a monitor do when you play a 320x200 game. Just try and test in DOSBox and you'll see what I mean.

Reply 8 of 36, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In another post I wrote this which I think is applicable in this thread:

Youtube have higher bitrates on HD material. If you upscale a 360p video to 1080p and then upload it on Youtube the 1080p version will look better than 360 or 480p in the Youtube player even if the original material was 360p. Youtube unfortunately use heavier compression on the lower resolution modes. This all ofc depends on the source material. If it's lossless material in 480p than you'll see bigger difference using this method.

As an example I uploaded for myself earlier, take a look at this Tomb Raider video that was captured lossless at 320x200. It got HEAVY pixelation which causes lot of constant movement in the picture. This results in havoc for the compression algorithms and thus require a high bitrate to look good. Take a look how big the quality difference is between Original, 720p, and 360p on Youtube from the SAME sourcefile. Original is not "original" lossless quality, but a step above 1080p in resolution. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEb9WDDZtA

Reply 9 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use this already in this way in my workflow. I encode with Staxrip x264 2pass and usually scale up every low resolution material to 2x for youtube uploading. It is a bit annoying though to do separate encodings just for YT.

Youtube Channel

Reply 10 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When recording demos, such as Second Reality, my VGA > S-Video adapter kinda resets itself (you get the colour bard like when you turn it on for the first time). It happens when the demo transitions from one scene to the next.

Has anyone observed similar behaviors?

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 36, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding speaker output:

Did you have a look at Recording The IBM PC Speaker, especially section 3. Alternate solution: Hook the speaker leads to a line input?

Reply 12 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made some captures of Tomb Raider (so we can compare).

The first video is my current setup. Various Time-machine PCs into a KVM, then into a splitter (one goes into the monitor), then into VGA to S-Video converter and then into a USB capture device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r70GI0MV1ws

The second video is shorter and shows footage taken from another PC directly from the S-Video out of a Geforce FX5200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7OXXkY788

Using a Video Card with S-Video out will give you a better capture, but not every machine / card has this and for my setup it's not as convenient. I was sick of having to unplug and plug stuff around, so I wired everything up and now I just need to use KVM and audio switches.

I think the quality directly from a S-Video capable video card is very good. Through the converter it's good, but not as clear / sharp with more blur to it.

I think I will stay to my S-Video method. It's less fiddly and with my switches setup convenient as it can get.

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vetz, how is the supplied software that comes with the AverMedia? Is it stable or any bugs? Did it ever crash, audio out of sync or any other issues? I had a look at the support forum and there seem to be quite a few issues, at least with the replacement model (that one is HDMI only and has hardware encoding).

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 36, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the software is the same that came with the AVerMedia HD DVR C027 card that I have, its pretty crappy. I use VirtualDub to capture with the card. What I really want to know is if this Gamebroadcaster card will work with 240p RGB content (15.75khz horizontal scanrate). If so, it would be a decent capture solution for game consoles and vintage computers (Amiga, Apple IIgs, etc.) with RGB output.

Reply 15 of 36, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The software that comes with the Avermedia is OKish. It has some drawbacks, but also some advantages:

-Pros:
- Captures directly in 30MB/sec MPEG2, saving alot of disc space compared to lossless in VLC/Virtualdub while still providing excellent quality.
- Faster to get running than VLC/Virtualdub
- Auto syncs to resolutions above 640x480 (VLC/VIrtualdub needs this to be specified to get optimal quality)
- Syncs with audio, never had any issues here.
- In normal use, stable (see below for the one issue I've noticed)
- Less input lag than with VLC/Virtualdub (not an issue anyway if you got a VGA splitter)

Cons:
- Does not work at all for resolutions below 640x480 (except maybe 320x240). You need VLC/Virtualdub for that. Does not want to sync properly with Voodoo 1 & 2 at 640x480 (works with VLC/Virtualdub).
- If resolution/refrash rate changes, recording stops (for instance going from 640x480 in Windows to 3DFX 640x480)
- No lossless capture option if you would like that, but 30mb/sec in MPEG2 is pretty good though.
- If the software is running in capture mode while you power on the computer you want to capture from, the recording computer gets a blue screen and needs a restart.

I have yet to test it with 240p analog sources. Any ideas on what to test with? I don't own any old game consoles.

Reply 16 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

240p capturing is weird as it doesn't capture the scanlines, the main highlight of this mode 😀 IMO for game consoles, S-Video is pretty darn good.

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 36, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

240p capturing is weird as it doesn't capture the scanlines, the main highlight of this mode 😀 IMO for game consoles, S-Video is pretty darn good.

Scanlines are an artifact of CRTs. They have to be emulated otherwise. It can easily be done after the capture using software filters. Trust me, once you go RGB on consoles, you don't go back to S-Video. The colors just pop, and everything is nice and sharp.

Reply 18 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I have always recommended RGB, but not so sure about capturing. Do you have any videos to compare S-Video with RGB?

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

S-Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWj-alq0RE
RGB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQ85b8tVZE

Youtube Channel