VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have this IBM PC Server 325 that I purchased with one PPro/200 CPU and one VRM, and I thought I'd use it as a test-bed for trying two VRMs that I got from some defective socket8 boards - one came with an HP Kayak dual-PPro workstation board, and the other apparently originated from a Compaq machine.

I successfully tested the Compaq VRM with my IBM server, but it wouldn't POST with the HP one. Are there any "fundamental" differences between VRMs designed for different socket8 machines, or should I assume my HP VRM is faulty?

Reply 1 of 1, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iulianv wrote:

I have this IBM PC Server 325 that I purchased with one PPro/200 CPU and one VRM, and I thought I'd use it as a test-bed for trying two VRMs that I got from some defective socket8 boards - one came with an HP Kayak dual-PPro workstation board, and the other apparently originated from a Compaq machine.

I successfully tested the Compaq VRM with my IBM server, but it wouldn't POST with the HP one. Are there any "fundamental" differences between VRMs designed for different socket8 machines, or should I assume my HP VRM is faulty?

I would assume the HP VRM is probably faulty.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z