VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am trying to install a package of Live! DOS drivers from here under Windows 98SE on a 12 GB FAT32 partition, but every time I run setup.exe I get a "not enough free space" error.

I have tried filling the partition to capacity, but it doesn't make a difference. I can only assume the installer is trying to read the total capacity of the partition and then encountering an overflow.

I tried plugging in a USB drive and changing the TEMP and TMP environment variables to point to a folder on the drive, but that did not make a difference either.

If this was XP, I would use Resplendent Resolver to lie about the free disk space, but apparently that doesn't work under Win9x.

If it was a 16-bit InstallShield setup.exe I would use MKCOMPAT, but it's already a 32-bit setup.exe (Version 5, to be precise).

I feel like I'm forgetting something useful. Is there any easy way to make this go, short of manually unpacking the installer or resizing the partition?

Last edited by Jorpho on 2013-01-27, 05:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Isn't there some driver/software to hide other partitions?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, hiding partitions is easy, but I fail to see what hiding partitions has to do with it. The setup program is being run from drive C, and Windows 98 SE is running from drive C. The setup program also does not ask me for a particular target drive, but it seems reasonable to assume it is trying to install to drive C.

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Whatever you say. My approach was that unreasonable installers can't always be debugged by reason. When it searches for possible drives to install to, it might decide that the possible destination d: or e: or ...
Or the RAM size is too big or or or...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jorpho just give it a try 😀 You never know...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very well, I hid the other partition on the disk such that only the Windows 98 SE partition was present. No change.

I also tried running Scandisk. No errors.

It occurred to me I might not have the Windows Installer Engine (instmsia.exe) installed, but no, the unofficial service pack took care of that.

There don't seem to be any relevant switches for setup.exe that I can find except maybe "-z", which causes it to ignore memory requirements. That didn't help either.

I tried Filemon, but the log is a bit of a hopeless mess and it's kind of hard to tell exactly what it is trying to do to determine disk space.

Any more ideas?

EDIT: It occurs to me the package may well have been put together wrongly and that no one can install it.

Specifically, I think someone copied a directory off the SB Live CD, casually tossed in setup.exe , _isdel.exe, _inst32i.ex_, and _setup.dll, and decided to hope for the best without testing it! Not a free space problem after all, looks like.

Reply 6 of 8, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I definitely remember having to use setver to install live drivers (this would indicate the dos drivers installed in dos - could be wrong)
theres a creative drivers section here at vogons try there

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, both the SB Live! and the Ensoniq AudioPCI use the Windows installer to install DOS drivers. (The SB Live! installer does appear to put setver in the autoexec.bat for some reason.)

I was able to sort out the problem (more or less) with a complete driver CD.

Reply 8 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea, the SBBASIC and CTCM DOS drivers will complain if not run from MS-DOS 6.22 or older. However for such cards (e.g. AWE64) there is another driver package specifically for W95/W98 users. It's basically a bunch of files like AWEUTIL.EXE and DIAGNOSE.EXE to get the card going. Now resources are already assigned through Windows, so CTCM shouldn't be needed I believe, but could be wrong as I'm not much of a Windows person and prefer pure DOS 😀

Glad you fixed the installation issues 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel