VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What early games supported multiple monitors? Either natively or with hacks. Referring to it before it was basically built into windows XP as an easy thing that is, like win98 era or before. Also curious which hardware had support for it.

I would imagine there probably wasn't anything before the PCI era as a rule, although I knew of VGA/Hercules dual card setups being used to edit software code i'd be amazed if anyone made a game supporting something like that.

Matrox had a thing for dual head support I know, my guess is they would have been one of the earliest if not the earliest, but I don't know whether any early games really supported it. I think Unreal did, primarily by having really flexible resolution options so if your windows desktop was it, it would run. i'm not sure what else. Did anyone else do dualhead (or more) during the win98 era? (or before but I doubt before existed) Did anyone ever support more than 2048 pixels in one dimension with multimonitor? (the DX7 limit i'm aware of) Like a pair of 1280x1024 monitors?

Reply 2 of 11, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the G400 era, Matrox had some early support for spanning monitors on Windows desktops, but I don't think it provided spanning resolutions to games. I am interested in a list of apps that support the secondary Hercules display, which includes certain versions of Mechwarrior I believe, but I'm not sure which ones.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 6 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Except not only are you using three different video cards to achieve that triple screen view, you're also using 3 different computers. The Parhelia can do it with one card on one computer.

Reply 7 of 11, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Jeronimo JN2? something. I should try that out again now that I think about it. It was, is, in a IT5H and I ran dual screens in Acad12 DOS. It needs the dos program to do it I believe, and I ran it under NT. Later under 2k with bloomberg drivers. It did decent OpenGL.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 8 of 11, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

The dos game Back to bagdad supported an optional herules monitor for the mfd (radar screen)

I just had to say thank you so much for that tidbit, that is just so cool. 😀 I knew that back in the day certain programming tools would for instance let you run a VGA monitor with Hercules on the side since they used different memory addresses, like for debugging code and such, but I never would have imagined any game would ever have supported that.

Is there any other game of the DOS era to ever do something like that?

To others i'm aware of the Parhelia, a 4096 pixel wide Direct X 8.1 buffer and the XP era after which multimonitor gaming was more readily supported. It's specifically before that that i'm curious if there were games that pushed limits or had some kind of clever hacks (like the above) or workarounds for odd ball implementations. Dual monitors in the win9x era was possible but not too common and I can't even remember if it was natively supported by video drivers in windows or not or if it needed special software from the video card maker to do.

Reply 9 of 11, by VictorB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first game that i know that supports triple monitor gaming is quake3

I made a setup with linux and 2006 hardware to play quake3 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfcYBcuKrE