VOGONS

Nascar Racing 2 - DOS Glide

Topic actions

First post, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gah sorry to bother you all again. Having trouble getting the Nascar Racing 2 3DFX beta working in Windows 95 pure DOS mode on my Voodoo1. The problem is that whenever I run the game (either from the supplied .bat or the .exe itself), the screen just goes a solid color (either white or a very light shade of blue) after it says it's initializing Glide, and I have to hard reboot. I've tried disabling antialiasing in the batch file; I've tried playing with the texture memory settings (though the default should be fine). I have tried putting a couple versions of Glide2x.ovl in the game folder (one was from the current drivers I use in Windows, and one was from the last official driver release). Same results every time. I have 637KB conventional memory free (I made a separate boot config that doesn't use EMS) so I doubt that's the issue.

Not really sure where to go from here. Am I missing something? I was under the impression that Glide with a Voodoo1 in DOS is very straightforward.

Here's my specs:
Pentium MMX 200
Asus TX97-XV
4x16MB EDO
Matrox Mystique 220 4MB
Diamond Monster 3D (3DFX Voodoo) 4MB
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4380
7GB Quantum Fireball
Windows 95 OSR2

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 2 of 31, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's an old official beta from the developers, and some people have had success with it. Still, that could definitely be the problem.

I haven't tried any other DOS Glide games actually, as this was going to be the first one I tried. Not sure what else I should test... GTA has Glide support right? I could give that a try tonight (probably opening up a whole other can of worms 🤣)

Reply 4 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

Are you using the internal 3dfx emulation or a wrapper?

He's using a real 3dfx hardware.

Gah sorry to bother you all again. Having trouble getting the Nascar Racing 2 3DFX beta working in Windows 95 pure DOS mode on my Voodoo1. The problem is that whenever I run the game (either from the supplied .bat or the .exe itself), the screen just goes a solid color (either white or a very light shade of blue) after it says it's initializing Glide, and I have to hard reboot. I've tried disabling antialiasing in the batch file; I've tried playing with the texture memory settings (though the default should be fine). I have tried putting a couple versions of Glide2x.ovl in the game folder (one was from the current drivers I use in Windows, and one was from the last official driver release). Same results every time. I have 637KB conventional memory free (I made a separate boot config that doesn't use EMS) so I doubt that's the issue.

This beta worked fine for me back at the time, both with the Voodoo 1 and the Voodoo 2. I think there were 2 versions but both were definitely beta. You should try other DOS glide games and others with direct hardware access (like XCar, EF2000, Fatal Racing, Whiplash). Screamer 2 has 2 different 3dfx patches, one that uses glide and one with direct HW access. Both should work on the Voodoo Graphics (the first one doesn't on Voodoo 2).

Reply 5 of 31, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, thanks for the replies. Yep I'm using a real Diamond Monster 3D 4MB, in DOS mode in Windows 95.

I don't have any homework and don't have to get up super early tomorrow so I'll be testing stuff out for awhile tonight. I just downloaded Fatal Racing and the unofficial 3DFX patch for it (just for testing purposes, don't worry guys) and both the standard and 3DFX versions of the game worked well. I'll try some other games; I'll also take a look to see if there's a different version of the 3DFX beta for Nascar2 if you say there were multiple versions; maybe there's a newer one that will work for me.

EDIT: I'm seeing evidence of there being a BETA 1 and BETA 2 of the 3DFX patch for this game, according to this site: http://community.fortunecity.ws/underworld/fi … 168/nascar2.htm
but the FTPs for the BETA 2 are all down, and google only turns up downloads of the filename for BETA 1 (which is what I have).

Also, worth noting that trying this in Windows 95 itself, sometimes the first time I launch the 3DFX version it will run until I select "Quick Race" and then it will crash; every time after that until I restart it errors out.

This is the error it gives if I force it not to close the cmd window:

DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception 0Eh (page fault) at 2C7:82BD2432
TSF32: prev_tsf32 80C8

and then a bunch of junk. Looking into what that could mean at the moment.

Reply 6 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try running the game on DOS 6.22 if you can. Direct HW access is working fine for you, now it's worth trying a DOS game that uses glide. It turns out I still have that patch, so I'm sending it right here.

Attachments

• Filename
    n23dfx.zip
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Downloads
    279 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 31, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First off, thank you for taking the time to help me out, and for uploading that. Unfortunately, that version of the beta had the same results for me, in both DOS and W95. I realized I haven't specified this, but for the record the regular version of N2 works perfectly for me in both DOS and Windows.

I think I understand the difference between direct hardware access and using an API. I'm not quite sure if the regular version of Fatal Racing used direct access and the 3DFX patch actually uses the Glide API (it did display the older-style 3DFX splash screen), or if the standard version uses software rendering and the 3DFX patch uses direct hardware access (that was my assumption).

Here's the interesting part: I tried Screamer 2, and grabbed the 3DFX Glide patch for it. And it has the same problem as Nascar2. Blank unresponsive screen of varying colors in DOS, and interestingly in W95 it gave me a black screen that I couldn't kill (tasks wouldn't come up upon using ctrl-alt-del). So it seems that I am in fact having issues with actual Glide games.

I think before I do anything else I'm going to install my beloved Unreal Tournament in W95, since I know how that works and am familiar with it, to see if I can get any Glide-based software working in W95. Because right now I'm not sure if the DOS and W95 issues I'm having with these games are even related, or if I have a driver issue in 95 that's separate from the DOS problem, or if I have a faulty card, or what.

Reply 8 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems that only DOS glide games are causing this. Try getting the other Screamer 2 3dfx patch to see if it works. If Fatal Racing worked, I assume the other Screamer 2 3dfx patch will. There might be a possibility that your primary card is causing this since early Matrox cards used to be problematic under DOS and some games still access VESA even when they use glide. There may be a BIOS update for your Matrox card that fixes DOS issues.

Reply 9 of 31, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fatal Racing is statically linked.
If you can't run standard DOS glide games - the main culprit is glide2x.ovl.
Check your PC, you must have only 1 copy of this file in the PATH directories. And this copy must be from drivers for your's card exactly.
Try these SDK tests (SDK\Glide2x\bin\DOS, you need DOS4GW).

Reply 10 of 31, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I've got a copy of glide2x.ovl in each of the game directories; I took it from the latest official Diamond Monster 3D drivers for win9x, so I imagine that should be the most appropriate driver I could use.

I downloaded that SDK test package and have been running the numbered tests in the SDK\glide2x\bin folder. In windows 95, both the Windows and DOS versions (once I put a copy of DOS4GW in the folder) work perfectly. However, in pure dos, the dos ones do the same thing, just a solid light blue screen. I did put glide2x.ovl in that folder as well.

So the issue definitely seems to be specific to DOS.

EDIT: Whoops didn't notice filipetolhuizen's post above. That sounds very possible. I'll look for the direct hardware access patch for Screamer 2; if that works along with Fatal Fury, that would confirm that the problem is with Glide games, but not static-linked games.

I'll also investigate possible BIOS updates for the Mystique. Real quick though, I could switch the jumper position on this motherboard that enables its built-in ATI video. I have no idea what it's DOS VESA compatibility is, but it wouldn't hurt to try that out and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, I truly do appreciate it 😀

Update: Tried that (removing the Matrox and using the built-in ATI video) and no dice, same problem. Manual says the integrated video is Mach64-based, I don't know how well that supports VESA. I'll look into the other stuff.

Reply 11 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you check device manager for hardware conflicts? There may also be an environment setting that is causing this. Later 3dfx drivers added some messy stuff on Windows and Autoexec.bat upon install. Some environment settings that are said to improve performance just make your 3dfx card not to work at all.

Reply 12 of 31, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I have it configured so that Windows keeps a separate autoexec.bat and config.sys for booting into DOS mode, so DOS should be completely unaffected by whatever the windows drivers do. Though what you mention could definitely be making it behave poorly in Windows mode. To answer your question though, device manager looks good in Win95, except for it showing an unknown display adapter which I have disabled (this is the ATI video; even with its jumper set to off on the motherboard, Windows and Speedsys still detect it for some reason).

I just made the most progress I've made so far in pure DOS. I've been trying a few different versions of GLIDE2X.OVL. The version I had been using is the version from V4.10.01.1600 of the Diamond Monster 3D drivers. With these, running a Glide game in pure DOS results in a solid colored screen and having to hard reset. I also tried the version that came with V2.16 of the official 3DFX Voodoo 1 driver, which I believe is the same exact file (same filesize), and it behaves exactly the same.

I just, however, tried the version of glide2x.ovl from the older V1.08 of the Diamond Monster 3D drivers, and it behaves somewhat better. With the Glide tests, instead of going a solid color and freezing, it immediately returns to the dos prompt, or for the ones that display something to the effect of "Press any key to exit" after the test is done, it skips right to that message. In NASCAR Racing 2, instead of the solid color, it displays the Papyrus splash screen, then goes to the menu, and everything on the menu works until I select Quick Race, at which point it returns to DOS. This is the same behavior that running the 3DFX version in Windows95 was giving me.

Gonna play around with a couple other versions of glide2x.ovl and see what happens.

EDIT:

I've got it working! Tentatively. Tried the glide2x.ovl from v3.00.00 of the Orchid Righteous 3D driver. With the Glide tests, it doesn't show the 3DFX splash screen for some reason, but it does perform the tests themselves properly. With Nascar Racing 2, I had the same issue as above with going to Quick Race when I launched gns3dfx.exe, but when I launched nas3dfx.exe instead, it's working perfectly (it also is weird with the splash screen though; it showed the old-style splashscreen for just a fraction of a second but it instantly disappeared. So not sure if things are working 100%).

I'm able to play the game though, and holy crap is it smoother than software mode. I'll try Screamer 2 in a sec, wanna enjoy making a few crashes of the automotive kind instead of the computing kind 😁

Reply 13 of 31, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

I downloaded that SDK test package and have been running the numbered tests in the SDK\glide2x\bin folder. In windows 95, both the Windows and DOS versions (once I put a copy of DOS4GW in the folder) work perfectly. However, in pure dos, the dos ones do the same thing, just a solid light blue screen. I did put glide2x.ovl in that folder as well.

Looks like no glide2x.ovl in the PATH variable. IIRC this file located by default in c:\windows\system, so - just add this to the PATH.

Reply 15 of 31, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember some people had problems with a mystique and v1 can you try another 2d card ?

That's what I told him above and he already did this. The culprit was actually Glide2x.ovl for some reason.
I'm glad you found a working Glide2x.ovl. Strange that I never had any problems with DOS glide games back at the time and I went thru all these versions.

Reply 16 of 31, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah it does seem strange, especially that the one that ended up working for me was for another manufacturer. Perhaps some strange quirk with my particular hardware config made it pickier than most. At any rate it seems to work well now, I'll keep playing around with it. One note, I did not get Screamer 2 with the Glide patch to work (it just black screened), but I was also not able to get the software mode to work (didn't try the static-linked version yet), so I think that's just a separate issue with that game. Since I don't own it and don't really have much desire to play it, I'm not going to bother sorting that out.

Thanks again for all of the help everyone! Glad to have this working nicely in Glide now 😁

Reply 17 of 31, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ehy, I just finished my run here, searching help!

I really cannot make run my Nascar 2 copy, with my Creative Blaster Banshee.

I tried the 3.00.00 .ovl file from Orchid, but no work, I don't know what to do.

Simply after the 3dfx logo the screen remain black. And everything freeze so I have to reset my PC.

PS: Is a way to make Nascar Racing 1 work in 3dfx too?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 18 of 31, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"SET FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH=1" then try again.
No, Nascar Racing not have the glide version.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 19 of 31, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

"SET FX_GLIDE_NO_SPLASH=1" then try again.
No, Nascar Racing not have the glide version.

Thanks a lot, I try it now!

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.