VOGONS

Reply 40 of 141, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Hi-Octane also seems to be clockspeed-sensitive. It runs choppy on my old Pentium 100, yet it runs unmanageably fast on the said laptop above. By the way, I tried to run it using VDMSound instead of DOSBOX. The game mostly doesn't run (it exists into Windows after you start a race), but it runs sometimes. And when it does, it's unmanageably fast.

By the way, Hi-Octane is the most perplexing game I've ever tried. Even in DOSBOX, it mostly quits to DOS until I start a race.

Just get a Creative 3D Blaster PCI and run it in CGL mode. The 3D card will work as a very nice bottleneck even on 1.4ghz Pentium 3's and you'll get bilinear filtering and longer draw distance 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 41 of 141, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Hi-Octane also seems to be clockspeed-sensitive. It runs choppy on my old Pentium 100, yet it runs unmanageably fast on the said laptop above. By the way, I tried to run it using VDMSound instead of DOSBOX. The game mostly doesn't run (it exists into Windows after you start a race), but it runs sometimes. And when it does, it's unmanageably fast.

By the way, Hi-Octane is the most perplexing game I've ever tried. Even in DOSBOX, it mostly quits to DOS until I start a race.

Just get a Creative 3D Blaster PCI and run it in CGL mode. The 3D card will work as a very nice bottleneck even on 1.4ghz Pentium 3's and you'll get bilinear filtering and longer draw distance 😀

I see. Guess I need to hunt for Rendition Verite, then. 😁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 43 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Outlaws on my modern PC. The intro sequence runs too fast, the cutscene that plays when the first level is started plays normally though. In-game it runs fine except for inexplicable lags when shooting enemies. In software mode, that is, the Direct3D patch produces only a garbled mess on screen both with ATI and Nvidia as I already wrote. This game definitely has some compatibility problems on newer systems.

Reply 44 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use nGlide and in-game glide mode.
Dx5-Dx7 compatibility was killed in Xp since ATi Radeon HD series (No more fixed pipeline, only shaders. And the Catalyst programmers can't make drivers without epic failures). In Vista/Win7 it was never implemented from the start.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 46 of 141, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Catalyst team screwed the game on nVidia as well maybe ? 😀

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 49 of 141, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I played the game on a Tualatin 1.4 not too long ago and I'm pretty sure it runs fine on a Prescott 3.2GHz too! Perhaps it's a multicore thing.
Voxel madness is the correct phrase to describe the game hahahaha

Reply 50 of 141, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Add SimCopter and Streets of SimCity to the list.

I found out it's a clock speed issue and not a post-Win9x issue when running them on my P4 3.2 GHz setup booted into 98SE, and not only did they run kind of fast and glitchy, but eventually crashed!

Meanwhile, SimCopter definitely ran fine on a K6-2 350 (didn't test Streets of SimCity on that one while I still had it), also booted into 98SE.

Reply 51 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Streets of SimCity - use nGlide and Voodoo Rush patch for this game,

Reply 55 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hexplore is working with normal speed on my P4 3.00E/Xp Pro Sp3 system. There is a Securom trouble, fixed with AddWhitePermissionstoDeviceFiles ACT fix. Unfortunately the game is quits to desktop randomly after 2-3 minutes of the play...

Gex: Enter the Gecko - sound issue. Run the game with audio acceleration level "basic". With this - the game is working perfectly even on C2D T7500.
This is the common trouble, especially with newer audiochips. Examples are - Jane's Longbow Gold, Red Baron II etc. But the source isn't CPU, it is soundcard + crappy MS backward compatibility.

Reply 56 of 141, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a fix out there for Hexplore, I'm not entirely sure if it is a speed issue that's causing it to crash every 2-3 minutes. I can upload it if anyone is interested.

About Gex, do you mean that if you run the game with audio acceleration to basic there will no longer be any timing issues? I tried the game on a K6-3+ 600 and my Phenom II X6 and the game is pretty much unplayable. The framerate doesn't really seem to lock to a certain number.

Reply 57 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, Enter the Gecko is supporting glide API, so I'm testing it with any new version of nGlide.
I'm 100% sure this game is playable on a modern CPUs.

Reply 58 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just for the record, I recall speed fluctuations in a number of different Crystal Dynamics titles on the PSX which presumably all shared the same engine, including Gex. In certain spots, like when standing in front of a wall, the game would suddenly speed up etc. If the issues in the PC version described here are the same then it's clearly by design.

Reply 59 of 141, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's just as you say d1stortion. I'm fairly certain Soul Reaver eluded this by locking the framerate to 30fps.
Gamecollector, I can't play it on my main PC with nGlide or my K6-3+ with a Voodoo 3. The game just runs too fast. I'll probably be building an MMX233 later this month, so that's where I'll be playing the game.