Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1200 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

Interesting. Wasn't expecting that to show up on GOG since Flat Rock Software still sells these games themselves, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. ;)

Also, running slightly late with Episode 108. Only just started rendering about 12 minutes ago, so it'll probably be online around 3 or 4 AM EDT. Offline this week's been Hell for me so I'm kinda surprised I managed to get this episode done at all. Then again, I'm one of those people who really understands the concept of the phrase, "The show must go on." ;)

...now if only I could find some way to apply that to my game making skills... >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1201 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 108 - Betrayal at Krondor is online!

Three gifted games so far this season! Hooray! :D

...I'm now out of gifted games... umm... HOORAY! XD

Actually, yeah, it's kinda funny how the first three games I was gifted from people who had to actually pay for them have all been this season, though I was actually given Quest for Glory not long after wrapping up Season 2, so the person who gave it to me had to wait all the way up to January to see my take on it. ^_^;

Also, my Wing Commander review made it up onto Reddit again and once again, the comments rolled in about why the heck I wasn't on YouTube when I could be reaching such a wider audience if I was.

Would you believe after reading through FIVE completely different YouTube/Google policies I still wasn't able to figure out if my webshow would be allowed, let alone if monetizing it would be possible? Their policies between their different services are so intertwined that it's extremely difficult to know what applies to what and how it applies, not to mention what's considered acceptable when doing a parody of copyrighted content, which is what a review technically is. According to what I read in their policies, NOTHING is considered acceptable for purpose of parody since there's no exception for this anywhere and there's even an example given of how having a TV on in the background can get your video taken down. By this logic, every single video on YouTube that has any sort of video game footage in it is technically against policy. Seriously. Unless someone can point out the section that explains that parody material is acceptable. :/

So yeah, I'm probably still gonna stay away from YouTube for now.

And yeah, silly me forgot to check the sound settings before trying to record footage. At least I was able to apply the CD audio music myself almost as well as the game does. In the sections where you hear no music, you typically hear birds chirping. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1202 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But there there are MILLIONS of Minecraft videos? (first thing off the top of my head) I don't see LDG getting videos taken down and he is using video game material. Pardon my french, but fuck monetizing. I sincerely hope you aren't making videos to make money.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1203 of 3343, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Offtopic, but what's up with the Thor's Hammer video? On my system, it says "we are currently unable to play this episode." Every other ep works though.

Reply 1204 of 3343, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I don't see LDG getting videos taken down and he is using video game material.

You mean LGR?

He's associated with that Retroware.TV group. Among other things, they have deals with publishers to licence content to people like Clint.

Machinima is another group that provides that service.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1205 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LDG? Where did that come from? I remember youtube griping about me putting footage of Day-Z online. Turns out day-z music was stolen(?) from some weird group in some derka-derka-stan country. But they didn't seem to care about the video part.

Reply 1206 of 3343, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

LDG? Where did that come from?

Lazy DOS Games. The man-love-child of ADG and LGR. 😜

Reply 1207 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

But there there are MILLIONS of Minecraft videos? (first thing off the top of my head)

And theoretically, unless I missed something in YouTube's policies, they're all against their policies. :P

YouTube also happens to rely almost entirely on self-reporting. Almost anyone making video game related videos on YouTube could pretty much have their content stripped in moments if a small group of people banded together and just mass-reported the producer's videos.

luckybob wrote:

I don't see LDG getting videos taken down and he is using video game material.

He has had videos taken down. His Heavy Rain review was one of them.

luckybob wrote:

Pardon my french, but fuck monetizing. I sincerely hope you aren't making videos to make money.

I don't make much money off of my videos as it is, but what little I do make goes into paying for my webspace as well as new DOS games every so often. Clint actually makes enough off of his videos now to support himself and was thus able to leave his day job.

The main reason for making the videos isn't money though, it's because I'm good at it and I want to share my talents. :)

tranoidnoki wrote:

Offtopic, but what's up with the Thor's Hammer video? On my system, it says "we are currently unable to play this episode." Every other ep works though.

It probably glitched out. This happens every once in awhile and usually requires me to re-upload the video. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1208 of 3343, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

YouTube also happens to rely almost entirely on self-reporting. Almost anyone making video game related videos on YouTube could pretty much have their content stripped in moments if a small group of people banded together and just mass-reported the producer's videos.

IIRC, That kind of request needs to come from the owner of the content. (OR somebody officially representing them)

As it happens, Mojang says it's OK to upload Minecraft videos and put ads on them: https://minecraft.net/brand

You may not make any other commercial use of the Minecraft Brand or Minecraft Assets for example you may not sell any merchandise that uses the Minecraft Brand or Minecraft Assets. If you upload videos of the game to video sharing and streaming sites (like YouTube) you are however allowed to put ads on them.

Reply 1209 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

IIRC, That kind of request needs to come from the owner of the content. (OR somebody officially representing them)

Although I've not seen it happen, I've heard stories of people having their own 100% original content getting taken down. :P

You may not make any other commercial use of the Minecraft Brand or Minecraft Assets for example you may not sell any merchandise that uses the Minecraft Brand or Minecraft Assets. If you upload videos of the game to video sharing and streaming sites (like YouTube) you are however allowed to put ads on them.

Considering the existence of fair use, fair dealing, etc., it's kinda sad that Mojang actually had to make a rule like this; It shouldn't have to be said explicitly. Though I will grant you that it's probably more-so for the players who are in countries which DON'T have equivalents to fair use in their copyright laws.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1210 of 3343, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Although I've not seen it happen, I've heard stories of people having their own 100% original content getting taken down. 😜

Yeah basically NOTHING is okay. so when they gank your shit, you can't argue and are fucked. TL;DR TOS gives them full control.

Reply 1211 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Although I've not seen it happen, I've heard stories of people having their own 100% original content getting taken down. 😜

Yeah basically NOTHING is okay. so when they gank your shit, you can't argue and are fucked. TL;DR TOS gives them full control.

So it brings me back to my point of view. Do it anyway. See what happens. "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission." and "The answer is always NO unless you ask." Seem to apply here.

Trow shit on the wall, lets see what sticks. What is the worst youtube can do? If the drop the hammer on you, make a huge fuss about it, and any new viewers will come back to blip.

Reply 1212 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[thinking]

I wonder how well Filler #21 would go over on YouTube, since that's the one where I actually state that I don't like YouTube.

Guess that's what annotations are for. :P

In terms of comments, I don't have the time to moderate them, but I could always just say on the main channel page that I don't read the comments and that if someone wants to tell me something they should send me an eMail, and if there's any excessively stupid comments to just report them...

In terms of the additional information and corrections, I could put them in the main description of the video, though that could be a bit of a mess, having to keep two sets up to date on both my own website and YouTube... or maybe I could direct people to watch my videos on my website if they want to get those corrections and additional information...

Blip offers automatic linking of videos from their site to YouTube, but at the same time I have to wonder if there's still that 10-minute time limit YouTube used to have...

Still need to fix Episode 14...

[/thinking]

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1213 of 3343, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Blip offers automatic linking of videos from their site to YouTube, but at the same time I have to wonder if there's still that 10-minute time limit YouTube used to have...

Mau1wurf1977 on here uploaded a 3-hour epic on Roland MIDI modules... 😉

Reply 1215 of 3343, by Kosmonaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I heard about your videos via LGR on youtube last week and have since watched most of the episodes, I am hooked, great stuff!:)

Can you please do another video sometime like the 2000 shareware games video? One of my most cherished memories as a kid was browsing through shareware compilation disks, magazine cover disks and what not, running random games I find and not having a clue what to expect, sometimes being pleasantly surprised and sometimes being horrified. For me, that was what DOS gaming was all about! I would love to see another improv video where you just randomly run some games from a compilation disk, maybe you could do some more from that 2000 shareware games cd.

Regarding youtube, honestly it should be fine, worst that can happen is that after a year or so you get a lot of views and youtube start to scrutinize and possibly take down a few videos (although I think this is unlikely), in which case you can just return to blip and you would have still benefited from the much increased exposure which you can direct to your pixelmusement site if they want to watch the rest of the series, which makes you better off overall. You should also be able to disable comments on your videos if you want.

Also, I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but you should watch your habbit of saying "like I mean" between sentences/clauses, it sounds a bit off, sorry to be a nitpick, your commentary is still great!

Reply 1216 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Catching up on recent episodes:

ScummVM (writing as I watch):

SCUMM is the engine that LucasArts used for most of their adventure games (yes, including Full Throttle), just as AGI and SCI were Sierra's. ScummVM started out supporting only SCUMM games, but has added support for other engines (including the Sierra ones) along the way.

I like the EGA undithering as well, although I got the impression from their forums that it was a bit controversial (or at least the person who added it was controversial).

ScummVM really is available for almost every system you can think of, thanks to the fact that it uses SDL as its low-level graphics/sound/input SDK. I've used it on Windows, Linux, GP2x Wiz and iOS, and could make use of it on Android and Wii as well if I wanted to. I really need to dig into writing games using SDL, as it's a widely-used cross-platform API, and I haven't really tried writing any game stuff since the late '90s (using Allegro when it was still mostly a DOS SDK) - well, unless you count porting and/or tweaking various projects (like porting Abuse to the Wii).

Wing Commander:

I got a USB joystick for xmas, and immediately started playing all the space sims I had been avoiding due to my lack of said joystick. I wish your Wing Commander video came a couple months sooner, as I made the exact mistake you showed of ramming into the Tiger Claw while trying to dock with it!

You should really get Munt Reloaded working and play Wing Commander with MT-32 emulation. I couldn't believe how messed up the OPL music sounded in your video compared to the MT-32 soundtrack. Even the sound effects were wrong.

I really dislike the use of sprites to create a pseudo-3D effect in space combat games. I much prefer the shaded polygon approach of X-Wing and such. I can't decide if my problem is with the terrible way sprites tend to look when scaled without filtering, or if it's the unconvincing motion effect that results from having to use a limited number of camera angles to keep the number of sprites per object down to a reasonable level.

Betrayal at Krondor:

Sierra actually gave it away for free on their web site at one point, but only for a limited time and without redistribution permissions. This created a lot of confusion as to the legal status of the game, but technically it wasn't free except to those who had downloaded it directly. It's good to see that GOG.com has picked it up, although possibly a bit of a shame that they only peddle the CD version, as it has a great MT-32 soundtrack (but frustratingly also good Sound Blaster digitized effects that won't play in MT-32 mode, so maybe the CD version is the best tradeoff after all).

I loved this game back in the 1990s, but unfortunately never finished it because of a game-breaking bug in one of the later chapters. I didn't know until later that Sierra had mistakenly neglected to pre-install the latest patch in the "free" version. This has been on my "revisit" list for a long time, but I've not managed to do so yet.

The music is one of my favorite things about B@K. In fact, I was the one who supplied saved games and suggested song names (which seem to have propagated widely across the 'net!) to Tom Lewandowski of Quest Studios back in the '90s so that he could make his famous MIDI recordings.

The graphics engine was also rather unique at the time, however, for being adapted from Dynamix' famous flight simulator engines.

I played this before ever hearing of the books, but later found that college friends and later my wife were fans of the books. I read the first few and should probably revisit the series at some point; I'm not the biggest fan of medieval fantasy, but they were page-turners!

Betrayal at Antara was billed as a sequel, but was really only related in that it used the same engine. I think Sierra/Dynamix were trying to shamelessly capitalize on the good reviews of B@K. I've never played it myself, and I think it has largely been forgotten.

They did make a true sequel, but it was Windows-only and made in that horrible period where 3D characters populated pre-drawn 2D backgrounds, resulting in annoying "camera" angles. I didn't make it all that far into the game, as it just didn't feel as epic as the first one (plus I'm OCD about playing sequels before finishing the previous games in a series).

Reply 1218 of 3343, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wing Commander - I'm glad you recommended the MT-32 sound track. Did some generous fan finally donate something nice to Gemini?

As for EGA and Tandy graphics, they need to be converted from the original floppy install disks. Ditto for WC2, except that only supports EGA. I have posted some screenshots of WC2 EGA to Mobygames, which you may be able to see in a few weeks.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1219 of 3343, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It annoys me that GOG picks only one version of each game and ships it with only one configuration. I had to read forums to figure out how to hack WC1 to run in MT-32 mode, and I had to dig up starflt.com's (now hard-to-get) copy of the non-EGA version of Starflight 1.

I understand why they do it, though: it's good enough for 99.9% of their customers, so why waste the extra time and effort (and possibly make things more complicated for end users who don't care)?