VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to use the mpu401 drivers in windows 3.11 to archive better midi sounds in KQ6, but even if i install the driver and change the midi mapper options in win3.11 i can't hear any midi sounds; using the Sb16 everything works but with a downgrade in the midi music.

I'm using Dosbox 0.74

Reply 1 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The GM music is working for me in the cdrom version of the game with only the SB16 drivers installed. The KQ6 Win3 installer gives a choice for "Base Level MIDI" or "Extended Level MIDI" that correspond to the MIDI Mapper setups named "SB16 Bas MIDI" and "SB16 Ext MIDI".

Reply 2 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Everything works with the Sb16 setup, i was curious to see if it was possible to use the roland mpu-401 drivers.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 3 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can use the MPU401 driver if you want to, but don't expect it to magically sound better than SB16 MIDI output.

Add the "Roland MPU-401" driver and configure it for port 330, interrupt 2/9. In the MIDI Mapper, add a setup named "MPU401 Ext MIDI", description "MPU401 Extended MIDI", edit it and on channels 1 through 10 change the port to "Roland MPU-401", then save the setup and leave it selected in the mapper.

Of course the game should be installed with the "Extended Level MIDI" option, or you can manually change it in the SIERRA.INI file (synthtype=highsynth genmidi=true) after installation.

Reply 4 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did that, now there's no MIDI audio.
WAby9E.jpg

For the quality differences in the audio.

Sb16 what i hear normally in Dosbox\win3.11

http://www.filebox.com/fcxygm6p90nu

SC-88 what i would like to hear

http://www.filebox.com/mbb8weuy8pzn

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 5 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It sounds like you're getting FM music, which is what happens if you chose the "SB16 Ext Synth" option instead of the "SB16 Ext MIDI" mapper setup. The "Synth" options map GM to FM synthesis.

What is in your SIERRA.INI file? What port names do you have in the channel drop down list? What you have selected in your screenshot is an option that isn't available in the MPU401 driver I have that comes with Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

Attachments

• krnl386_001.png
    Filename
    krnl386_001.png
    File size
    3.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • krnl386_000.png
    Filename
    krnl386_000.png
    File size
    4.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the MIDI mapper options i had only Sb16 alternatives, i had to create the MPU401 Ext MIDI setup, the driver setup is the same as mine and this is my sierra INI
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZLSnM8.png

For example now i'm using this option for the MIDI mapper but i can't hear any MIDI sound
1kQ3IB.png
I'm beginning to think that maybe i need to do a fresh install of Win3.11

Reply 7 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What is in the "SB16 Ext MIDI" setup if you click "Edit..." ?

I had to create the mapper setup for the MPU401; however, your device driver is apparently different because it's named "Roland MPU-401 MIDI Out Port" in your screenshot, but it's just "Roland MPU-401" with the driver I have.

What kind of GM setup are you trying to use: default Windows s/w synth, external SC-88 synth, something else? What MIDI configuration in DOSBox?

Reply 8 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oooooook what i will write now will either make you laugh or make you curse me for a good hour.
I was using my linux partition all this time, so i decided to use my windows one just 10 minutes ago and surprise SB16 Ext MIDI actually works.
The problem is that EVERY single sound is associated with the wrong instrument, so what should i do to make every instrument being associated with the right sound ? preferably on linux.
MT-32 emulation ?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 9 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I suggest you get GM music working in DOS games running in DOSBox before trying to get Windows 3 sorted out. You can install DOS KQ6 in DOSBox, but note there is an SVGA patch for that version (available on Patches Scrolls).

Reply 10 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I solved the problem, windows 3.11 was already working like a charm the problem was in linux itself not being able to use General MIDI playback.
I used this guide and everything worked even better than on windows since the instrument are all the right ones:
http://macilatthefront.blogspot.it/2010/05/ti … buntu-1004.html

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 11 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Actually, you solved a rather more fundamental problem than the one you originally asked about. And I assure you that GM music works on Windows with correct instruments; but as you have learned with Linux, you must use a properly configured GM device.