VOGONS

Wonderland - No game resources?

Topic actions

First post, by Reser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently decided I wanted to play an old text adventure 'Wonderland' again and came across Dosbox. I checked the compatability list and wonderland is on it as working 100%.

So I original tried running it just using dosbox. and i got the error 'no system resources'.

So then I tried getting frontend , used DOSShell and this time i actually got the first splash screen then when i pressed a key I got error 'No Game Resources'

then tried D-Fend Reloaded, got splash screen then just closed itself.

I then tried to install it using it install file and when it gets to point of nstalling it says 'cannot install from hardisk'

Can anyone help me with this? I really want to get the pc version working.

I have it at the moment working in an amiga emulator, but the resolution is terrible and I would much prefer the pc version...

I am using a Laptop running Windows 7 , with 2 GB of ram and an Athlon 64 x2 tk-57 1.9ghz processor

Thankyou in advance.

Reply 1 of 33, by Reser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok..

I finally managed to get it installed using a virtual floppy drive.

All installed fine, Used Defaults of animation on and VGA output.

I said yes to decompress.

It got to 100% and closed itself.

Then I try and run game.exe from the install directory and now I dont even get the splash screen, Error- No system resources....

I just dont get it..

Reply 3 of 33, by wizzel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game has several files in which the actual path of the game is definded.
These are:

All.rdf
Boot.rdf
User.rdf

Open these files with a text editor and change them from (e.g.):

c:\wonderla\Two.rsc 362496
c:\wonderla\Three.rsc 362496
c:\wonderla\Four.rsc 362496
c:\wonderla\Five.rsc 362496
c:\wonderla\Six.rsc 362496
c:\wonderla\Seven.rsc 362496
c:\wonderla\Eight.rsc 332633

to:

c:\\Two.rsc 362496
c:\\Three.rsc 362496
c:\\Four.rsc 362496
c:\\Five.rsc 362496
c:\\Six.rsc 362496
c:\\Seven.rsc 362496
c:\\Eight.rsc 332633

In the Boot.rdf and User.rdf you do the same.
Now DOSbox and the game can reside in the same "portable" directory.
You only need to Mount C . in your dosbox.conf and run the game via:

GAME.EXE -disp v -adlib

That should do the trick. Took me hours to find it out and the solution was so simple... 😎

As an attachment i have put my DOSBox.conf. for Wonderland.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBox.conf
    File size
    1.1 KiB
    Downloads
    203 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The future of computation lies in emulation.

Reply 4 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wizzel wrote:

The game has several files in which the actual path of the game is definded.

I would think it would be easier just to let the game have the path it wants: put the game's files in C:\BLAH\WONDERLA, and then use "mount c c:\blah".

That should do the trick. Took me hours to find it out and the solution was so simple...

FYI, the debug-enabled versions of DOSBox can sometimes be used to determine the path and name of files a program is trying to access.

Also, this thread is four years old.

Reply 5 of 33, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny this should come up, given that I spent some time with this game just yesterday...

The game's installer will automatically update the RDF files with whatever path is provided in the installation routine, but to get the installer to work with a prior install, you'll need to make/fake a "source" copy. Here's my solution:

- Create five dummy files in the game directory, labeled "one", "two", "three", "four", and "five".

- Mount the game directory to a virtual "A:\" drive. ("mount a: c:\dir1\dir2\gamedir -t floppy" etc.)

- Run INSTALL.EXE from the "A:\" drive, overriding the sound/graphics options as appropriate. (It's best to be in the graphics mode you'll be using, and select that, if not automatically detected.)

- Specify the source drive type as 3.5".

- Select the hard-drive as the target.

- Override the "default" installation directory with some directory of your choosing.

- Press enter as prompted for the various disks.

Voila~

Reply 6 of 33, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is best to run the install program for the particular adapter you are seeking to use. Crashes or errors often result when trying to force the game to display with graphics other than what it was installed with.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 33, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

(It's best to be in the graphics mode you'll be using, and select that, if not automatically detected.)

the best mode is 800x600
machine=svga_paradise
and is not autodetected

btw - can you check the dune 2 music (guitar) problem on quest studios?
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2 … 3.html#msg34123

Reply 8 of 33, by Eddie@time

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried loadfix -64 , but still I get the No system resources , and abnormal program termination message when I run the game.exe.

If I tried to run the install.exe , I get the game cannot be installed from hard disk message. Any advices? Thanks!

Reply 9 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eddie@time wrote:

If I tried to run the install.exe , I get the game cannot be installed from hard disk message. Any advices? Thanks!

You are probably mounting the directories incorrectly. What exactly are you mounting?

Reply 10 of 33, by Eddie@time

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Presuming I have the installation package in c:\xxx\games\wonderland , while starting I mount c: c:\xxx\games. Then I go to wonderland and then invoke install. All the initial information and prompts about the nature of display , sound adapters are confirmed. Then it asks whether to install to c:\games\wonderland , I confirm and then get the error message. I also find a folder called wonderla created relatively but empty.

Reply 11 of 33, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Does it really ask to install to wonderland? That is not an installer for dos but for a command prompt that supports long file names.
Chose a directory name that has max 8 characters

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't confirm this issue. All I did was I copied the contents of the nine floppies to a directory. Then I mounted the folder I just made as drive A without any fancy parameters. Did the same for my C drive. After that ran INSTALL.EXE typed N for Tandy Keyboard, N for Roland, Y for Adlib, N to keep the default settings.

The installer complains about the type of your A drive, so I used 5 for 5.25" disks. Then I selected 2 to install to my C drive, the same place I install from. Default C:\games\wonderland should be just fine, so that's two Ys. I hit nine enter keys for every single disk, and another Y for decompressing the graphics.

At this point I raised the cycles because I forgot to set it to max, so that I don't have to wait a lot. After all these are done I just launched the game by running GAME.EXE.

I deleted the files I just copied over from the floppies and I only kept C:\GAMES\WONDERLA so every time you launch DOSBox be sure to mount a folder that contains the GAMES directory. Just use the cd command to avoid the problem you have. By doing so you will avoid the No System Resources Abnormal program termination

This should be the copy protection, apart from that this is not a DOSBox issue. The game works fine with 0.74 and the latest SVN, with the default config file.

Attachments

• game_000.png
    Filename
    game_000.png
    File size
    8.86 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this is getting too complicated, instead of DOSBox the game can in theory be run with the Magnetic interpreter in Windows.
http://msmemorial.if-legends.org/magnetic.htm

Reply 15 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't see the file because I used the dir *.exe command, and somehow I missed the batch file. It's nothing really special, and the only useful flag it contains is the -adlib parameter. The batch file still launches GAME.EXE and you only get sound in the title screen. After that everything is silent as far as I can tell. So GAME.EXE -adlib has the same effect.

It was just only a test done for Reser and Eddie@time to show them that it's not a DOSBox bug.

Reply 16 of 33, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have just noticed that even when i choose paradise or vega in setup it always sets vga in the bat file (other gfx options are being set correctly). Don't remember how it was in the past when i tested this game.

Reply 17 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like you are right. I can set Paradise by using the GAME.EXE -disp p -adlib but it work if the machine is set to svga_paradise in the config file. Just don't use the Paradise mode with machine=svga_s3 because it will mess up everything. VEGA SVGA could be -disp s but I'm not entirely sure.

Hercules, CGA, EGA, VGA modes also work just fine, but VEGA SVGA is broken with the other machine types. If I use Tandy with the -disp t parameter DOSBox crashes. PCjr works but it looks messed up to me. Both 4 color and 16 color modes. After I quit the game in PCjr mode can't execute any command anymore. But the cursor is still blinking.

By the way I used the latest SVN for the experiment. Take a look at the screenshots below.

Attachments

• game_001.png
    Filename
    game_001.png
    File size
    8.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GAME.EXE -disp s (VEGA SVGA)
    File license
  • game_002.png
    Filename
    game_002.png
    File size
    2.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GAME.EXE -disp t (SVN machine=pcjr 16 Colors)
    File license
  • game_003.png
    Filename
    game_003.png
    File size
    4.29 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GAME.EXE -disp t (SVN machine=pcjr 4 Colors)
    File license
Last edited by P4R4D0X on 2013-03-29, 20:42. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 18 of 33, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
P4R4D0X wrote:

Seems like you are right. I can set Paradise by using the GAME.EXE -disp p -adlib but it work if the machine is set to svga_paradise in the config file. Just don't use the Paradise mode with machine=svga_s3 because it will mess up everything. VEGA SVGA could be -disp s but I'm not entirely sure.

Hercules, CGA, EGA, VGA modes also work just fine, but VEGA SVGA is broken with the other machine types. If I use Tandy with the -disp t parameter DOSBox crashes. PCjr works but it looks messed up to me. Both 4 color and 16 color modes. After I quit the game in PCjr mode can't execute any command anymore. But the cursor is still blinking.

Tandy works just fine for me, you have to reinstall the game while using the Tandy machine type. I used floppy disk images and it worked fine.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 19 of 33, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately that's not the case for me. I thought it was a regression but it's not. Tried 0.74 and SVN. Used the installer, but still the same thing. If I use machine=tandy and launch the game I get a black screen when I launch the game. Can't do anything in this mode.

However seems like I found a regression. The SVN seems like is broken with the machine=pcjr. Also same thing after I quit the game can't do anything in DOSBox until I relaunch it.

Edit: So I guess there's no need to reinstall the game, because only the batch file changes, and you can use the -disp parameters. Tried reinstalling as you suggested but still the same thing.

Attachments

• game_004.png
    Filename
    game_004.png
    File size
    2.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GAME.EXE -disp t (0.74 machine=pcjr 16 Colors)
    File license
  • game_005.png
    Filename
    game_005.png
    File size
    4.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GAME.EXE -disp t (0.74 machine=pcjr 4 Colors)
    File license