VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi!

I've got a Problem. I can't run the install.exe of the german version of Amberstar.
It crashes with this error: " V1.3 D:5 L:0 Need HD !!" I do have allready tried to mount a harddrive. The mounting of the HD works, but the install.exe not 🙁. The problem is, the charactergeneration will only be started, if I launch the install.exe.
The game works fine. But I want to create my own character.

Help me please!
Sorry for my bad english 😀

Greetz
Guardian

Reply 1 of 5, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try to run it outside of DOSBOX. I think it uses some low level disk function to test presence of hd (if I remember correctly, reading the first sector of harddisk or something like that). Stupid thing having no real sense (just serving as a check). DOSBOX cannot support this call (it uses host filesystem & has no access to such low level functions).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for you advise.
I allready tried to run "install.exe" outside the dosbox. But in Win XP it don't starts, too. Error: Application tries to access the Harddisk directly. This is not supported. Then there a two buttons: Ignore + Close. If i press "ignore" Amberstar exits anyhow.

Is there another possibility?

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try mounting the install medium with -t floppy.
This enables fake diskreads 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another game that has a similar problem (disc doesn´t exist notice during install in DOSBox) is Fable http://www.mobygames.com/game/fable . The game works in DOSBox but install has to be run in pure DOS - it doesn´t work outside of DOSBox in XP.