VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday iam trying to rebuild my NEC V20 system in a small AT tower, because lack of ISA slot brackets..

I have tried to mount the motherboard in a little sunshine case tower.
What strucked me, is that i only was able to mount only one screw in the whole board.. The rest i had to used these plastic motherboard spacers:

5-x-insulating-computer-motherboard-spacers-standoffs-marktgigant1.jpeg.

Because i only could mount one screw, the board wasnt very fixed on the motherboard plate.. You could just move it by hand..

The other problem is that the expension cards wouldnt find very well..
If i looked on the back of the case it looked that the cards where sitting skew. There was just a little opening.. First i thought, maybe i have used to wrong spacers.. But there arent much different version of those.. The case wasnt bend at all.. And the case is made of high quality steel.. (that silver surdy stuff)..

Isnt it just possible to fit a XT compatible motherboard in some AT cases?

My older case had been from a 386 computer that was build in and fitted very well..
Does somebody knows what the problem can be?? Thanks..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 4, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having a problem with a specific AT case, but had nothing to do with mounting the board. I had a slim desktop style case, which used an ISA riser card. While it would work fine when I tested it outside of the case, when I mounted the whole system in, it wouldn't boot. On another case I had tried in the past I had no problem. In your case, if it works I suppose it's not a big deal if the board can be moved. I believe that when you install all of your cards and tighten the screws, that should hold the board. You also have to modify the Speaker and Power led connectors. I think it uses two pin headers instead of four and three used in later AT form factor boards.

Reply 2 of 4, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are two types of plastic spacers. Flat Stand-Offs and the Stand-Offs that go into the slits. Usually the combination of all slit stand offs give a fix mounting.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 4, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had used only the stand-offs for the slits version.. Because the mother tray had only slits in the middle, so there wasnt possible to screw it there.
And the really main problem that the motherboard was sitting loose.. The disadvantage is that the motherboard is still sliding out..

So if i read your opinion i better could start looking for a other case (very hard to come by)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 4, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a case that only allows 1 screw, and in this situation I used a type of plastic standoff with a square flat foot on the case side that has double sided tape to stick it to the case instead of being inserted into the slit. Worked well, very solid.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.