VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before you start swapping CPUs, just try lowering the FSB/multiplier first: e.g. 66x2.5=166 MHz, this should work even without disabling caches.

Reply 21 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing I'd like to mention, and please excuse me as I haven't properly tested and investigated this, but I believe that the AWE64 Gold does better in "fast" machines.

I might look into this properly as I have a TON of YT video ideas lined up. Just got to find spare time to actually do it 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 28, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:
jwt27 wrote:
If disabling cache makes your CPU too slow, you may want to try FDAPM: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … dos/fdapm […]
Show full quote

If disabling cache makes your CPU too slow, you may want to try FDAPM:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … dos/fdapm/2009/

Run it with FDAPM SPEEDx where x is a number between 0 and 8. 8 is full speed, and 0 will stop your CPU completely.
I use this to run Monkey Island and DOTT on a 615MHz PIII with no problems.

Disabling internal and external caches made S&M almost unplayable, so I enabled the external to improve it, unfortunately the game crashed and I think it's going to happen again so I might try fdapm. If that doesn't help I will try with slower CPUs.
So for a 450Mhz cpu what setting do you suggest on fdapm?

Just start at 7 and try lower numbers until it works. I think 4 or 5 will do it.

Reply 23 of 28, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
vmunix wrote:
jwt27 wrote:
If disabling cache makes your CPU too slow, you may want to try FDAPM: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … dos/fdapm […]
Show full quote

If disabling cache makes your CPU too slow, you may want to try FDAPM:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … dos/fdapm/2009/

Run it with FDAPM SPEEDx where x is a number between 0 and 8. 8 is full speed, and 0 will stop your CPU completely.
I use this to run Monkey Island and DOTT on a 615MHz PIII with no problems.

Disabling internal and external caches made S&M almost unplayable, so I enabled the external to improve it, unfortunately the game crashed and I think it's going to happen again so I might try fdapm. If that doesn't help I will try with slower CPUs.
So for a 450Mhz cpu what setting do you suggest on fdapm?

Just start at 7 and try lower numbers until it works. I think 4 or 5 will do it.

I started with 2 (about a quarter "performace" which for my CPU is about 112Mhz) and the games hung as soon as they started to play music, as if fdapm didn't like my AMD cpu and it was still at full speed, then I tried 1 and it didn't change I'm afraid 🙁

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 24 of 28, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess that means your board does not fully support APM/ACPI. You could try lowering the cpu speed the normal way then, like 5u3 said. If that doesn't work there are still like a hundred other slowdown programs, I'm sure there's one that works for you.

Reply 25 of 28, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:

Before you start swapping CPUs, just try lowering the FSB/multiplier first: e.g. 66x2.5=166 MHz, this should work even without disabling caches.

you know what last night I grabbed a P133 then looked at the case and imagine how I would have to disassemble everything just to access the dip-switches to fix the fsb and multiplier ...
😢

so I downloaded scummvm 😒 I really wanted to play last night, I set up scummvm to use the Tropez + and I kind of enjoyed it bit it was alittle bit like cheating.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 26 of 28, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

If that doesn't work there are still like a hundred other slowdown programs, I'm sure there's one that works for you.

Yep - I'd try throttle.
I believe that mobo has a VIA 596B southbridge, and according to the Throttle page it should work.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 27 of 28, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:
5u3 wrote:

then looked at the case and imagine how I would have to disassemble everything just to access the dip-switches to fix the fsb and multiplier ....

🤣

I have printouts of the relevant manual pages. Armed with my LED flashlight and, pencil (dip switches) and whatever that tool from my toolkit is called (jumpers) I then proceed into the bowls of my MS-DOS Time-Machine PC 😀

Pentium (non-MMX) is 3.3V. Set the Multi to 3.5x to get 1.5x (66x1.5=100MHz) if you want to downclock.

Pentium MMX is 2.8V. Lowest multiplier is 1.5 (133 MHz).

AMD-K6 depends on the model. They also interpret 2x as 6x, so 2.5x is the lowest multiplier (166 MHz).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 28, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm that DOTT is speed sensitive. While it works on my mobile DOS box (IBM Thinkpad 600e, Pentium 2 366), it hangs on the system on my sig, Celeron 800. Disabling cache does not help.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)