VOGONS

12 mhz 286

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its a SB pro isnt it? Yes you could use that card, but you cant use the CMS option.. Then you only have soundblaster / sbpro and adlib.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 21 of 29, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

Er, I kinda don't know if the games utilizing CT1330's dual OPL2 will run on a 286.

I had for a long time a 286 20Mhz and I was able to play all games with sound except those which specifically required a 386.
With this 16bit sound card.
av306.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 24 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for mouse, I'd like to use an optical one which is easier to use than ones with a ball inside. But is there ever a way to get one working with a serial port?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 25 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bristlehog wrote:

As for mouse, I'd like to use an optical one which is easier to use than ones with a ball inside. But is there ever a way to get one working with a serial port?

Probably not. If you're thinking you can plug a USB-to-PS/2 adapter into a PS/2-to-serial adapter, they definitely don't work that way; even PS/2 mice won't work with a PS/2-to-serial adapter unless they are specifically designed to do so.

There might be some solution out there somewhere, but it is likely to be an expensive piece of custom equipment.

Reply 27 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found the old dead battery on the mobo, it's the Dallas RTC one:

dallas.jpg

There are some Dallas 1287 new chips on ebay, but I see none with those '8851' numbers on them. Anyone succeeded installing a new Dallas RTC here?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 28 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can cut into it with a Dremel tool and wire a coin cell holder to the terminals inside. There's just a couple of watch batteries inside there anyway. You can Google for instructions of how to do it.