VOGONS

First post, by bushnrvn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a machine with a blown power supply. I just recently got it running and about two days later it was running along and with a short *pop* it was all over.

The 5A 250v fuse was blackened - dead. I tried a new fuse and it caved immediately.

I knew the PSU was probably on the way out when I first got the machine going as it seemed to hum and waver from time to time.

I am now in the market for a new PSU - I found one on newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16817338010

it looks to be exactly what I need, however it doesn't appear to have enough Molex/FDD connectors.

I need at least 3 FDD connectors - either native or with a Molex adapter - and then I just need 1 Molex.

Any suggestions on where to find an AT PSU besides this one?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushnrvn wrote:

it looks to be exactly what I need, however it doesn't appear to have enough Molex/FDD connectors.

I need at least 3 FDD connectors - either native or with a Molex adapter - and then I just need 1 Molex.

Y'know, there's such a thing as molex multipliers that let you change one molex connector into two. They're dirt cheap.

It might be argued that the power supply isn't meant to power more molex devices than it has connectors, but I don't think they draw all that much power, and you won't be using them all at once all the time anyway, right?

Reply 2 of 11, by bushnrvn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right. My biggest hangup is finding one with enough mini molex connectors since I need three. I have a 5.25 drive, 3.5 drive, and a CF/IDE adapter.

I was just wondering if anyone had leads on something a bit more ready to use out of the box.

No worries, I'll pay $2 a cable for the Mini molex adapters if I have to.

Reply 4 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just just use these ATX to AT adapters from eBay. Tested it on my 486 gear and works great. This means you can use any current ATX PSU and mount it into your AT case.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushnrvn wrote:

Right. My biggest hangup is finding one with enough mini molex connectors since I need three. I have a 5.25 drive, 3.5 drive, and a CF/IDE adapter.

I was just wondering if anyone had leads on something a bit more ready to use out of the box.

I would think anything with that many mini molex connectors built-in would have to be ancient by now, and consequently perhaps not as reliable.

Reply 8 of 11, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

I've never seen a 5.25 floppy drive with a mini-molex.

I have a dual-floppy drive that has both a 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppy in one drive unit, it has the smaller 3.5 inch floppy power connector.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 9 of 11, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zippy/Emacs server PSU compatible with AT

I have a HG2-6400P/EPS (which is ATX-compatible). It's heavy and reliably built, and has 9 Molex and 2 mini-Molex (floppy) connectors. For drawbacks you get a loud 80mm cooler and lack of power on/off button. Cost me about 90 bucks.

There are even less overpowered Emacs PSUs.