VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pentallion

User metadata

I have tried to delete the two files that are installed in my Red Baron 3D. I even remove them to desktop. The minute I start the campaign game they reappear in the folder. so now I have two copies of the files. How do I get rid of Glidos. It is not working for me because it destroys my FPS online too much.

Reply 1 of 17, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try renaming to Glide2X.dll.bak before playing MMP and then you can change it back to Glide2X.dll for SP.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea?
Hopefully enough of us buy it so that the "people" 😉 at Glidos can perfect the wrapper.

Reply 2 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you absolutely sure. I've never heard of anything like that before. When you are using the full Glidos system then there are some files copied around, but when just using Glide2x.dll and OpenGLid.INI, then they are just files; there's nothing in the registry; nothing else at all. If you really delete them, including clearing out your trash bin, then it is impossible for them to reappear.

Reply 4 of 17, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RB has nothing to do with GliDOS, whatsoever.

GliDOS is for emulating DOS based glide games, whereas RB uses OpenGlide which is a windows based Glide emulator.

Comeon guys, Give Paul a little slack for godsakes.

This whole forum is suddenly turning into a flightsim forum, instead of a GliDOS forum. 😠

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 5 of 17, by Pentallion

User metadata

HUH?

What's your problem Craig?

This IS a great program and if it didn't hit my frame rates so badly during online play I would gladly keep it. But it does and so I am trying to delete it but cannot. This is very distressing to me because I play online a lot. So take your attitude somewhere else while I seek assistance here.

Reply 6 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pentallion wrote:

But it does and so I am trying to delete it but cannot. This is very distressing to me because I play online a lot.

The problem is that what you have described makes no sense and needs clarification.

1) When you said

I have tried to delete the two files that are installed in my Red Baron 3D.

, you didn't specify the names of the files. If you meant Glide2x.dll and OpenGLid.INI, then that's not a GliDOS installation. Inability to delete these files has nothing to do with a GliDOS install.

2) What allows "Red Baron 3D" to work with Voodoo emulation is the wrapper (the Glide DLL file), not an entire GliDOS install.

3) Need to follow the posting guidelines:
announcement.php?forumid=7

To help troubleshoot a problem, you need to give as much technical info as possible.
(For this case, you can disregard the VDMSound steps and skip down to "If none of these steps solves your problem...")

4) I think what CraigG was trying to say is that there's been a flood of posts recently by "Red Baron 3D" fans who've made a lot of requests from Paul (GliDOS), who's put real effort into helping them, without pay. That's effort he could have been putting into GliDOS, which is a pay-for product.

I'll take a couple of wild guesses here:

1) Are these files set to "READ ONLY" on the attributes? (That shouldn't have an effect on deleting, but it might be related.

2) Are you running an OS that's based on NT? (NT, 2000, or XP?) If so, it's possible that you may be running without the needed "privileges" for deleting these files.

Reply 7 of 17, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

4) I think what CraigG was trying to say is that there's been a flood of posts recently by "Red Baron 3D" fans who've made a lot of requests from Paul (GliDOS), who's put real effort into helping them, without pay. That's effort he could have been putting into GliDOS, which is a pay-for product.

Yeah, Thanks for that, Nicht Sehr Gut.

Thats EXACTLY what I meant.

Paul is a decent chap and doesn't need people taking advantage of that fact.

And as for taking MY attitude elsewhere, I'm not the one trying to put the blame on a program (GliDOS) that isn't the cause of your problem.

GliDOS isn't your problem, it has nothing to do with Windows based 3dfx programs.
And I still can't see why Openglide would copy itself into your directory, unless you have copies of it's Glide2x.dll in multiple places like Windows/System ??

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 9 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata
CraigG wrote:

Paul is a decent chap and doesn't need people taking advantage of that fact.

I suspect that most Red baron pilots are just overjoyed to have finally discovered the "Holy Grail", a Glide wrapper that really works.

Thought the files required to run Red Baron are free, a few of us have gladly chipped in the $10 registration fee for the full product. At that price, it's a bargain, and I'm happy to support Paul's efforts with my modest payment.

I'm hoping (and betting) that many more Red Baron pilots will do the same.

Reply 10 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Just go into your preferences and change the renderer from Glide to Direct3D.

There's a thought, have you switched from Glide to "Windowed" or "Direct Draw"? Leaving it on Glide would probably endlessly regenerate Glide error reports.

Reply 12 of 17, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for running to my defence guys, but I don't think Pentallion was being too pushy with his question. Lets not upset the poor bloke. It is worrying when it looks like something has damaged your system.

Wonder what's going on. It has to be the files aren't really being deleted, but what would make it look like they were when they weren't?

Strange.

BTW, I'm glad that everybody is banging home the concept that these two files don't add up to Glidos. I don't want that misconception haunting me.

Reply 13 of 17, by Pentallion

User metadata

First off, let me say that I have given this new patch rave reviews on the largest Red Baron forum.

I only came here for help.

I use 98SE.

I can't figure out what that posting guidelines is talking about or else I'd use it. It goes on about sound compatiblity. I am not having sound problems. My online frames drop from 99 to 9.

But my real problem was not being able to delete the OpenGlid file or the Glide2x.dll

If anyone else comes along the same problem here's what caused it:

I originally downloaded the files into a temp folder. I didn't delete them from the temp folder, just copied them to Red Baron. Once I deleted these files as well, the problem ceased.
It seems that as long as the files are anywhere on your system they migrate back somehow to Red Baron. So if anyone else has this problem you can tell them what to do.

Thanks for the hard work you are doing. It is greatly appreciated.

I will keep an eye on this things progress and if it starts to work better online I will gladly fork out $10 for it 😀

Reply 14 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pentallion wrote:

I only came here for help.

And we're trying to help.

I use 98SE.

I can't figure out what that posting guidelines is talking about or else I'd use it. It goes on about sound compatiblity. I am not having sound problems.

*sigh* If you had read my post carefully you would have seen:
For this case, you can disregard the VDMSound steps and skip down to "If none of these steps solves your problem..." That's where it starts... You should have least described your system more thoroughly.

We're asking you to post this information so we don't have to "play 20 questions". It wastes a lot of time needlessly if you just give us the bare minimum. Your first post didn't even identify the mysterious re-appearing files.

In this case, since your running Win98SE; it means that it has nothing to do with "privileges" as Win9x treats everyone as an administrator.

I originally downloaded the files into a temp folder

That still doesn't make any sense, but I'm glad you got it "fixed".

Reply 15 of 17, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For info sake: I had a similar problem with a Glide3X.dll from EVoodoo that I had renamed to Glide2X.dll (for grins in a rainman sort of way) and dropped in the RedBaron3D folder on a system running 98SE. Couldn't delete it or move it to recycle bin at first, but was able to do so a few restarts later with only Systray and Explorer running and while RB3D was in DD I believe. Might have to have both SP and MMP set to DD.

Dave "Voss" on the OffTopic forum at http://www.wingswithwires.com had a similar result to Pen with the Glidos Glide2X.dll and OpenGLid.LOG and was able to get back to normal eventually also.

Sorry if some feel that RB3D is taking over the forum a bit. I think it shows that Glidos might have found another market, even if it wasn't the exact thing Glidos was trying to do. Kind of the way we ended up with the modern microwave oven. Should be good for everyone I hope!

Reply 16 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hentzau wrote:

Couldn't delete it or move it to recycle bin at first, but was able to do so a few restarts later with only Systray and Explorer running and while RB3D was in DD I believe

The closest thing I can think of to compare this, is to what happens when you try to delete a file that's in use. Frequently, that requires you to delete in safe mode (or at the DOS level if you're using a DOS-based OS). Only thing is, files like that won't allow themselves to be deleted.

I think it shows that Glidos might have found another market, even if it wasn't the exact thing Glidos was trying to do.

Only the OpenGlide DLL (and it's associated .INI file) is what Red Baron is using, not GliDOS. Since OpenGlide is open-source, technically Paul can't charge for it like GliDOS.

That's why some "Red Baron 3D" fans have gone ahead and just bought the full GliDOS, to show their gratitude.

Reply 17 of 17, by Ditdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

That's why some "Red Baron 3D" fans have gone ahead and just bought the full GliDOS, to show their gratitude.

Exactly.

Paul's support of our community has been great, including buying a copy of RB3d so that he can better tweak the wrapper. I consider my $10 well-spent, and I hope that RB pilots using and enjoying the wrapper will consider buying GliDOS as well.