VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dug up this 80386 board with a Headland chip on it from my attick. After removing dust and inspecting it for any damage, I decied to give it a go and pluggied an AT power supply in it.

Lo and behold, fireworks arose from the power suplly connectors. Any chances of reparing the damage caused?

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_0201.jpg
    File size
    64.56 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    IMG_0205.jpg
    File size
    64.46 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an awesome looking 386 motherboard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 7, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's just the capacitor next to the connector, looks like a tantalum cap which are prone to failure when they get this old. I'd suggest replacing all the caps on the board and trying it again.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 7, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I think it's just the capacitor next to the connector, looks like a tantalum cap which are prone to failure when they get this old. I'd suggest replacing all the caps on the board and trying it again.

Thanks for the info. I'll put it on the pile "to do" for now; it'll take a lot of time and effort to replace all those caps.

does anybody have more info on the board itself?

Reply 6 of 7, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of years ago, I got a 386/40 board which was a bit terribly damaged from the leaking battery. First time I powered it up, it worked fine. The second time happened the same thing. One of these capacitors exploded. It wouldn't post for a while. A couple of days later it started working again, and up to there seems to be no problem at all...