First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive got an SPDIF connector from Hoontech XG i-phone card:

hoontech.jpg

That i think can fit with my Pinnacle.
The pinnacle it self has an Digital add on daughterboard.

I want to record some things with it. I will use X Fi Xtreme Music SB0460 for recording. I have an internal Audigy 2 ZS console that has SPDIF that i can hook up to it.

Is there a 3.5mm x RCA cable for SPDIF?

I also have an Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platnium PRO with external console as well if SB0460 fails.

My major questions are:
1. Can this adapter for SPDIF work on TBP?
2. How do i use it to get output?
3. Can i record output with my SB0460 that has digital in but its an 3.5mm jack?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are lots of nuances concerning digital signal routing, and if something goes wrong, you might end up frying something.

You need to carefully study all the papers concerning digital input/output on all the cards mentioned. Different manufacturers used different voltages of S/PDIF signal. So if you just plug it into a Pinnacle, it might work, or not work, or even get something toasted if, for instance, a voltage of 5v is sent somewhere where a 0.5v is only accepted.

So before the proper investigation the answers would be:

1) It might work if you find the correct signals from TBP to send into this bracket, AND that signals have voltage(s) acceptable by the bracket;

2) see 1.

3) If this is a mini-Toslink jack (check your manual), you then use an optical Toslink-miniToslink cable (like http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/1m … link-cable.html) to send optical signal from Hoontech bracket to your SB0460. That way it would work, provided you already found a way to make the bracket work with your TBP.

Remember that the two jacks you got on your bracket are not for S/PDIF. They are for AES/EBU, which is different.

You might want to consult PARUS, who is notorious for his past and present experience with S/PDIF interconnections.

Reply 2 of 6, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about no 1) and 2) - could fry things. And No 3) is easy; use a standard audio cable with 3.5mm mini-jacks at either end, and use 3.5mm mini-jack -> RCA converters where necessary - like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290744316432?ssPage … 984.m1439.l2649

And BTW, that Hoontech digital I/O bracket looks identical to my Hoontech DSP24 bracket - looks like you can interchange with Hoontech cards...

Reply 3 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ Bristlehog

As i saw Pinnacle bracket is just a bare cable and a connector at the end.
I saw some Asus motherboard ones that are bare, maybe i should get them and modify.

Also i see, i have those cables and jacks already.

@ Jaws

Yeah they are the same.

Reply 4 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive got an cable only SPDIF and have attached it to Pinnacle.

How do i get the XG player to output digital signal i can record?

Reply 5 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know exactly, but usually it is done via soundcard setup utility/control panel.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city