VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 122, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MI1 patch is almost finished, that is, all AdLib sound effects play along with Roland music, even the ones that ScummVM misses in mixed AdLib/MIDI mode. The only issue left to solve is music occasionally getting cut off for no apparent reason near the end of the game.

Reply 22 of 122, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It turns out that one particular issue that I have been looking into is not a problem with the patch, but a bug in the original VGA floppy version of Monkey Island 1. One particular variable is corrupted upon loading a saved game. This variable affects music in many scenes which will be lost until further corruption happens to restore the variable's original content. The corrupted variable gets stored in every saved game state.

Here's how to find out if your version is affected: run the game and go into the Scumm Bar. Save the game state. Exit to DOS, run the game again, load the game state you just saved. Exit the bar, skip the LeChuck cutscene, then enter the bar again. The bar music will be gone forever, unless further corruption restores the variable to a proper value. Saved game states that are affected may be fixed by opening SAVEGAME.* in a hex editor and changing the two bytes at 180C to 03 00 for AdLib or 04 00 for Roland.

According to my tests, VGA versions 1.0 and 1.1 using interpreter versions 5.0.15 and 5.0.18 (the error is in the interpreter, not the script code) are affected. The EGA (interpreter version 4.0.62) and CD-ROM versions do not seem to be affected.

Please try out the experiment described and post whether you can reproduce the problem. You can find out the interpreter version by running MONKEY /?. The patch would fix that problem as well; however, saved game states that include the corrupted variable would not be fixed. Of course, I could include a small .COM file that just repairs all SAVEGAME.* files in the directory ...

Reply 23 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ amazing news! 😮
kudos on your amazing work!

I also did the test with the bar music, it is gone for me too.
My game uses Interpreter Verson 5.0.19 (typo in the game)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, 5.0.19

2uiu5hj.jpg

source is... my copy? will send you a PM

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ the best verson IMHO for that exact reason 😁 I kinda hoped I had a rare version there for a moment 🤣 🤣 🤣
I guess it could just be 5.0.18 and they just bumped to .19 for the protection removal

Reply 28 of 122, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, there are other differences as well.

If I were to patch 5.0.19 and distribute only that executable file, I would be distributing a cracked version. Versions 4.0.62 and 5.0.18 can be distributed directly in patched form, as the copy protection remains intact. Those who want a patch for version 5.0.19 will need to use bspatch with a binary differences file. There's also a version 5.0.15, but an update to 5.0.18 is available on the LucasArts FTP.

Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2013-06-03, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ a bspatch would be nice if possible.
I don't have another version of the game currently but if the need arise I can get one I guess...
is there a place somewhere that lists the version differences?

Reply 31 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

would love to test this once the .19 patch is made 😊

Reply 35 of 122, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@NewRisingSun:

5bzb6p.jpg 5bzb6p.jpg 5bzb6p.jpg

mega thanks for making this!!!!!! just tested it, it works like a charm!

regarding the version things, yeah it's odd but I really believe that the person(s) responsible in creating the collection were just careless or made the whole thing in a couple of evenings... verson, possibly wrong version datafiles.... budget release = budget team? I think so

Reply 36 of 122, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
@NewRisingSun: […]
Show full quote

@NewRisingSun:

5bzb6p.jpg 5bzb6p.jpg 5bzb6p.jpg

mega thanks for making this!!!!!! just tested it, it works like a charm!

regarding the version things, yeah it's odd but I really believe that the person(s) responsible in creating the collection were just careless or made the whole thing in a couple of evenings... verson, possibly wrong version datafiles.... budget release = budget team? I think so

Their task was not a particularly simple one. They had to totally remove the copy protection from five games without breaking anything. That "verson" misspelling is present in many, many executables, not just the Classic Collection's. I made a compilation of all known English language versions of LucasArts' DOS games here :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/10/l … -technical.html

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 37 of 122, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NewRisingSun wrote:
Monkey Island 2 has great music with a Roland MT-32; however, most sound effects can only be heard with the AdLib or Sound Blast […]
Show full quote

Monkey Island 2 has great music with a Roland MT-32; however, most sound effects can only be heard with the AdLib or Sound Blaster selection. If you want both, you are forced to use ScummVM, which in my opinion seriously breaks the whole retrogaming experience (and its OPL2 emulation is hideous IMHO). Until now.

Attached find a patch that allows for Roland MT-32 music together with PCM sound effects for the Sound Blaster, and AdLib sound effects when they are the only ones available. The patch consists of two files:

SOUNBLAS.IMS replaces the original SOUNBLAS.IMS, so you have to run the game with "MONKEY2 s". Replacing ROLAND.IMS would have been the more logical option, but unfortunately, the game's script code knows what the selection is and will not even bother to try to play Largo's "whoa!" sound effects with any selection other than Sound Blaster, so it is this driver that has to be replaced.

REORDER.COM must be run once in order to hear PCM "spitting" sound effects. The reason is that these exist for PCM, AdLib and Roland, but MONKEY2.EXE will give the Roland file to the sound driver because that one appears first in MONKEY2.001. REORDER.COM simply reorders them so that the PCM one appears first in the file. It must only be run once to modify MONKEY2.001 in the manner described; then it can be deleted.

In theory, it should work will all language versions. Comments on whether it does are appreciated.

I tried the 5.0.18 patch today. Amazing!! Thankyoou!

Is 5.0.19 the Monkey Island version where your inventory is graphically shown and not just a list?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 38 of 122, by Python1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@NewRisingSun:

I installed your patch and its awesome! However I cant get the spitting sound that the owner of the Bloody Lip Bar & Grill makes. I used your reorder file and the date modified on Monkey2.001 changed so I assume it did something but the effect doesnt work for me.

Reply 39 of 122, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rgart wrote:

Is 5.0.19 the Monkey Island version where your inventory is graphically shown and not just a list?

Nope.

Python1980 wrote:

However I can't get the spitting sound that the owner of the Bloody Lip Bar & Grill makes.

The owner of the Bloody Lip Bar never makes a spitting sound.