VOGONS

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using the D3D renderer for years and it works well for me, but I understand that there's one area it's supposed to be lacking in. What specific feature does it lack, and are there any renderers that'll work on a modern system that support this?

Reply 5 of 10, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like I'll give UTGLR a try then. 😀

Also, the glide renderer doesn't work properly on my system even though I have a wrapper installed.

Reply 6 of 10, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I gave UTGLR a try. The textures looked nice but it ran way too fast! 😳 As well, it had major flickering issues, just like the stock OpenGL renderer. 🤣

I also tried the D3D9 renderer from the same site and while it also looked pretty good, it screwed up the damage amplifier graphical effect, as well as changing the gameplay "feel" ever so slightly. 🤣

I guess it's back to the good old stock D3D renderer for me! 😁

Reply 7 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any information available what the system requirements for the renderers are?
I tried these new D3D renderers f.e. and they all crashed hard.

It is somewhat unclear for me,
Do they require SSE or SSE2 or other CPU features?
Does the D3D9 renderer requires just DirectX9 installed or a full fledged DirectX9 graphics card?
(does it looks also better with a DirectX7 Geforce f.e.?)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 10, by Xolares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just uses the Runtimes from DirectX or OpenGL so you can use any DX9/10/11 card for the addon Interfaces.

I am using the DX11 for UT99, Dues EX and Unreal on the main rig (2x GTX780s) and Glide on the classic rigs (Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP i added yesterday from the other rig & Voodoo 2 12MB cards on the other)

2x P3 800MHZ - 1GB PC133 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB - Soundblaster AWE32 28MB 32Pin ISA & Music Quest ISA MIDI I/O + Roland SC-88 Pro - 2x IDE to CF 16GB Flash HDDs-Win98SE SP3 137GB+-Windows 2000 SP4R2-17" CRT NEC MultiSync 1600x1200

Reply 9 of 10, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

depends on "best for what" we are talking about: do you want "best looking" or do you want "best performance for pro gaming"?
since I still play it kind of pro, I'm using opengl in 800x600 with low texture quality =)

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 10 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCs have been running UT for more than 90fps since 2001, so that seems very irrelevant

I mean, why would anyone would want to run UT in 800x600 on a Core i7 anymore? 🤣

Besides, it's UnrealEngine1 which doesn't exactly scale well for the higher hundreds of the framerate....

apsosig.png
long live PCem