scored some hardware

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
The unofficial Win88SE service pack is everywhere online. It is even on those annoying download sights which have 10 "download" […]
Show full quote

The unofficial Win88SE service pack is everywhere online. It is even on those annoying download sights which have 10 "download" buttons, whereby you need to figure out which download button is the correct one.

I think an AMD X5-150 is faster than a Cyrix 5x86 at 100 MHz. Are you using a VLB/ISA-only board for the AMD X5-150 setup? Can the VL bus tolerate this kind of speed long-term? What memory speeds do you get for cachechk -d -t6 and cachechk -d -w -t6? Are you able to pass at least one round of MemTest86+ v4.00? Are you using just 1 stick of 64 MB for the memory? I've been able to get more stable system with just one stick and fast BIOS timings.

Yes, the older UMC 8881/8886 chipsets and/or BIOS implimentations do not support linear burst modes on the Cyrix 5x86. The lock-up you are describing is certainly due to the board not supporting this feature. Not to worry though, the performance impact is rather minimal. Are you able to run the system with LINBRST at 0 and BTB at 1?

Perhaps some IBM 5x86-120 chips might be stable at 3.45 V. I know Gainbery had their voltage regulator at 3.45 V and sold them with overclocked IBM 120 MHz chips.

For testing stability, I've noticed the 1024K cache on at least one motherboard does not tolerate fast cache timings at 40 MHz very well. I recommend first setting the L2 cache to write-through mode. Put the cache and memory timings on auto, which will be slow, then run Memtest through Test 6 (or all the way through test 9 if you wish). If it does well, put your timings on the fastest possible, run Memtest again. if it fails, try to find the middle ground with the timings and passing of MemTest. It is also a good idea to check your L1/L2/RAM read/ Ram write with each timing change.

Feipoa, why not just run PRIME95 Blend/SmallFFT for 24 hours instead of having to switch OSes?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 41 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Feipoa, why not just run PRIME95 Blend/SmallFFT for 24 hours instead of having to switch OSes?

Of course you are free to try any burn-in approach of your choosing.

When dealing with FSB's above 33 MHz on a 486, I found that most stability issues are related to memory and cache speeds, esp. when the cache is greater than 256K double-banked. From my experience, the quickest way to determine the fastest stable timings are to run one full round of MemTest 86+ v4.00. Once you find out which test # fails in MemTest, you can go back to the BIOS, adjust the timings, and just rerun just that particular test # in memtest. This will save a lot of time in fine-tuning the cache/memory timings. For some reason, only that particular test fails continues to fail at conditions whereby the timings are marginally stable. Once you've determined the best timings which do not cause MemTest to show failures, I like to install and use the OS as one would normally. You can surely add Prime95 at this stage.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 42 of 42, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey I just joined up here and am starting on my first 486 rig. Had a 233 Pentium mmx system I pulled out of our basement that was ran for a while but there was a rats nest in the case, so it didn't last long. I was an idiot and threw out the case (moved) and my 3.2gb Samsung drive just croaked. I was wondering if a 12gb bigfoot I have would be ok for a 486 set up?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1