VOGONS

What Voodoo?

Topic actions

First post, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you guys recommend... I currently use Voodoo3 AGP and PCI versions - AGP on P-3 833 and PCI on P-1 233MMX.

I was thinking on getting a Voodoo2 or maybe Voodoo Banshee.

What is more compatible with glide titles: V2 8MB, V2 8MB SLI, V2 12MB, V2 12MB SLI, Banshee 16MB? Can someone rate these combos?

I just want to have a fully working and compatible setup and I'm not sure if V2 12MB SLI is over the top if V2 8MB SLI does the job.

thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going from Voodoo3 to Voodoo Banshee is pointless since Voodoo3 is practically a dolled up Banshee.

A single Voodoo2 12MB was enough for me. Use it in addition to your Voodoo3 so you attain higher DOS Glide compatibility while keeping your powerful host Voodoo3 card for the Windows Glide games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are going to mess with a V2 get 2 x 12MB (same brand) for SLI and pair them with a nice AGP TNT card, should run everything well.

All the early 2d+ 3d 3dfx cards before the V3 were bombs and had issues (cut down 3d hardware to make everything fit, bad drivers). I collect them just to have them.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 7, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

If you are going to mess with a V2 get 2 x 12MB (same brand) for SLI and pair them with a nice AGP TNT card, should run everything well.

Amen 😊

Maybe even TNT2 (pro).

Reply 7 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't gonna play any of the games in the matrix linked above (or Mechwarrior 2: 3DFX edition) then there is no point switching to Voodoo2. If you are planning on doing it, then Voodoo 2 in SLI should give about the same performance as a Voodoo3. Remember that you are using a P233, so you won't see much difference between 8MB SLI and 12MB SLI.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes