First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

System: Windows 98 SE
Computer: DeLL OptiPlex GX1

This thing is driving me crazy!
The Yamaha SW1000XG constantly takes the same IRQ as the built in video controller ATi RAGE.

Causing the sound card to emit horrible loud noise.
And i cant change the IRQ settings in windows.

I also have Voodoo 3 PCI inside the PC that takes IRQ 9 (the one that sound card and video card take).
With out Voodoo, sound card takes 9, video takes 5.

How to solve this?! Changing the PCI slot doesn't help.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 6 of 9, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried disabling IRQ Steering in Windows? Might be worth a shot...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182628

You might have to play around with that. On a sidenote, I've had both SW1000XG and DSP2416 cards installed alongside 5 other cards on a Win98SE rig, without issues.

Reply 7 of 9, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure control of hardware resource allocation is done in the BIOS and not by Windows. Set PnP OS to "No" in the BIOS setup if its available. Also if the option is present to assign a specific IRQ to a PCI slot, use it.

Reply 8 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to fix it by disabling ATi RAGE in the device manager.

@ NJRoadfan I can not make sure because BIOS has no such control switch.
@ Robertmo No, only DAC snooping.
@ Jaws This is a DeLL 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick follow up after trying at this again a few days back:

When installing SW1000XG into this PC and upon restarting, when it loads its drivers and configuration, the card emits a very loud buzzing noise and does not function. It is using the same IRQ as integrated Rage PRO graphics chip and IRQ Holder For PCI Steering (IRQ 9) as well as using an Memory Address FAFC0000-FAFFFFFF which is also a part of DEC21152 PCI to PCI Bridge whos range is FA000000-FBFFFFFF. Due to this memory conflict system would some times freeze up for a second or two when accessing folders and copying data.
Changing the IRQ causes an error message upon loading windows and explorer does not start. Changing the memory address causes an VSWXGDSP timeout and windows becomes frozen.

Tried everything in BIOS from disabling DAC Snooping, to disabling every possible device and changing various settings like ACPI to ON or OFF (IRQ9/10). I have tried every possible driver I have (2.0, 2.4, 3.4) and still it did not work.

But there is one and only thing I did not try, and that is placing the card into the FIRST PCI slot 😵
Once I did that the card works flawlessly (IRQ10 , FF000000-FF03FFFF). 😅 Hope this helps some one who is as stubborn about swapping PCI slots as me.