User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Building a DOS-only machine with the following specs:

-Iwill p55xb2 rev. 1.23 motherboard
-Pentium 233 MMX
-64mb PC100
-8gb CompactFlash through cf-ide adapter

Currently I have 2mb/50ns S3 Virge/DX video card. Does it worth to look for a 4mb version of Virge/DX (my card doesn't have memory upgrare sockets)?

AFAIR with 2mb memory there will be no Direct3d support under Windows, but i don't need it. There will also be no support for high resolutions and color modes, but for example BUILD games, despite of high resolutions support, are very CPU-intensive in such modes so my CPU just wouldn't take it. Are there any DOS games that can really take advantage of additional 2mb on my system?

Reply 1 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only reason I see for you to get 4mb is if you have a large monitor and wish to run in a higher resolution not supported with only 2 MB of memory. Since the signal output is not very good on S3 Virge cards there is almost no point having 4MB on a card for DOS usage.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using true color (24 or 32 bit) 1024x768 in windows 9X may be a motivation. If you want to do some imaging work. Otherwise 16 bit hi-color is fine. It has been long since I used 8 bit or 4 bit in windows 9X, it is a bit messy because everything gets converted to the windows palette.

The Build games like Duke Nukem 3D use 8-bit palette modes, like almost every DOS game.

I added the table, but you might already know that.

Filename
video_memory_resolutions.png
File size
30.75 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hey.. the 32 bit color entry in that table is wrong, it is also just 16M colors like 24 bit.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 4, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4MB are mostly important to have enough 3D texture memory. If you don't want to play S3D games in DOS (ie. games with native 3D support for ViRGE) then you don't really need 4MB.

Reply 4 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

Hey.. the 32 bit color entry in that table is wrong, it is also just 16M colors like 24 bit.

hahahaha, yeah. another funny thing is the claims from people noticing differences between 24 and 32 visually 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem