VOGONS

Intel Socket 370 or AMD Socket A ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a motherboard, I'd recommend an Socket 370 motherboard with an Intel chipset. Typically, they were the most stable motherboards of that era.
For a video card, I'd recommend a 3dfx Voodoo 3. I've never had a problem with mine, and its output is clearer than that of the ATi Rage 128 and nVidia RIVA TNT2 video cards that I own.

Reply 21 of 31, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Allright then I will be on the lookout for the voodoo 3 then. So far I can get the Matrox 550. I had a Riva TNT 32MB back in my days I can still memember playing Unreal on it and it did run flawless but when I tried Call of Duty 1 or Return to Castle Wolfenstein I always received a nasty error message. As for the motherboard I have a ASUS P3B-F Rev. 1.04 coming in with a nice Slot 1 Pentium 3 coppermine 700 MHz CPU which I got really cheap for like 10 Euro from germany, now all I still really need is a soundcard recommendation for Windows 98SE and I am all set to build the PC.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 22 of 31, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can really almost use anything as far as sound cards go. SB Live!/Aureal Vortex 1/2 (somewhat rare IMO) would be period correct choices but if you care about DOS game compatibility as well you should just get an ISA card.

Reply 23 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

You can really almost use anything as far as sound cards go. SB Live!/Aureal Vortex 1/2 (somewhat rare IMO) would be period correct choices but if you care about DOS game compatibility as well you should just get an ISA card.

What d1stortion says. I personally use the Aureal Vortex 2 in my Pentium 3 rig. It has better DOS compatibility than the SB Live, a Waveblaster connector, Optical out and I think A3D sound is pretty cool. In a way it is a good PCI card for both Windows and late DOS games. You can get brand new boxed Aureal Vortex 2 cards very cheap from this guy on Ebay (both me and Senrew on Vogons have bought from this seller):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TechWorks-Power-Vor … =item564c1deed6

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 24 of 31, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

(both me and Senrew on Vogons have bought from this seller):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TechWorks-Power-Vor … =item564c1deed6

Yep, love it.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 26 of 31, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a bunch guys for the rcommendations, yeah I can get the Creative soundblaster pretty easy 😁 is it better than the Aureal Vortex 2 maybe I can talk to the ebay seller and he will be kind enough to send me one even to romania.

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 27 of 31, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

Isn't the matrix G400 MAX faster then the G550?

I really don't know 😒 I always assumed higher number > newer revisited chipset but since a Nvidia 8800 GTx is always faster than a 9600 GT I am not quite sure about the old Matrox cards.

Reply 29 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember that when Matrox went from the G400 to the G450, they changed from a 128-bit memory bus to a 64-bit bus thinking that DDR RAM would make up for the loss of performance but it didn't. The G450 was actually slower. Not sure what the G550 added to make it faster. More pipes? Higher clocks? Anybody?

Reply 31 of 31, by Xolares

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got lucky with my Mobo and CPUS since i got them free from a local store along with other parts and since then i have been collecting parts

2x P3 800MHZ - 1GB PC133 - 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB - Soundblaster AWE32 28MB 32Pin ISA & Music Quest ISA MIDI I/O + Roland SC-88 Pro - 2x IDE to CF 16GB Flash HDDs-Win98SE SP3 137GB+-Windows 2000 SP4R2-17" CRT NEC MultiSync 1600x1200