VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by truth_deleted

User metadata

[Edit: I confirmed that SDL defaults to directx video and audio. Therefore, the only advantage of the attached builds is that a directx6 function is available. However, the single directx6 function is not used by dosbox. Therefore, the attached files probably won't be of use. I left the prior message below.]

The SDL library has a choice of Windows audio devices: dsound or waveout. Dsound refers to the DirectX sound component. To enable the DirectX sound functionality, the SDL library must be compiled with specific DirectX header files.

I compiled three versions of SDL.dll (attached files). One is for WaveOut. The other two SDL.dll files are dsound capable. One has the typical DirectX5 sound while the other has an additional DirectX6 sound function.

Attachments

• Filename
    SDL_kit.zip
    File size
    513.77 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File comment
    SDL.dll files for enabling directx sound
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by truth_deleted

User metadata
ykhwong wrote:

Is there a diff/patch that can be applied to SDL for the DirectX6 sound function?

Attached; difference is a definition line to activate the code for the DirectSound notify interface (dx6). My impression is this provides a streaming buffer for audio; but internet posts suggest this buffer is slow and not useful.

Attachments

• Filename
    dx6sound.diff
    File size
    388 Bytes
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File comment
    SDL directx6 sound patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception