Rank

What is your favorite old OS?

Reply 5 of 42, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MS-DOS 6.22.

Sometimes, I simply type dir/w or mem/c/p for no reason while at the dos screen, even though I know what the outputs will be. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 42, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win98SE, Windows 2000 Workstation, MS-DOS 6.22, and Windows 3.11 (even though this isn't technically a true OS).

As for non-PC OSes, I liked using System 6 on my Mac Classic (System 7's pseudo-multitasking and increased use of resources annoyed me), and I also have some fond memories of using DOS 3.3 (not to be confused with MS-DOS 3.3) on an Apple IIe. I also used to like messing around with GS/OS (can't remember which version) on an emulator, but I could never really get it to work well on my actual Apple IIGS.

Reply 11 of 42, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM OS/2 Warp 3.0 was my OS of choice back in the days. For gaming I would often boot in pure dos mode, but for desktop use, OS/2 was SO much better than Windows 3.x and Windows 95. It wasn't until games moved over to mainly being Win9x based that I had to ditch OS/2. I hope I still have the discs for my old Warp 3.0 Red Spine. I still have the manual, but the box is loooong gone.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 13 of 42, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

GEM. Not the Atari ST version, the PC version. I still have all the original floppies and the apps that went with it.

GEM, is that the one that came with Amstrad's?

DOS wise I'm a bit torn between 6.22 and 4.0 (only because of DOSShell)

Windows wise for sure NT 4.0!

Reply 14 of 42, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dacow wrote:
GEM, is that the one that came with Amstrad's? […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

GEM. Not the Atari ST version, the PC version. I still have all the original floppies and the apps that went with it.

GEM, is that the one that came with Amstrad's?

DOS wise I'm a bit torn between 6.22 and 4.0 (only because of DOSShell)

Windows wise for sure NT 4.0!

Don't know anything about Amstrad as they weren't popular here in US, but Digital Research did release a version of the OS used on the Atari ST for the PC but a lot of people don''t remember that now so I just thought I'd mention it.

gem3accs.gif

And GEM was doing the Widget/Gadget thing long before Apple and Microsoft only they called them Desk Accessories back then.

Reply 16 of 42, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS 5.0.

Playing with Stacker, 386Max, QEMM386 and trying to stuff all those TSR's into upper memory was more fun than playng games. By the time DOS 6.22 and larger hard drives came around, it lost its edge. I liked Win98 too.