VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blk90sho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have an HP pavilion slimline and i'm trying to put the sims deluxe edition on there. it installs fine but when i try to run it it just acts like it's starting and disappears.

I'm also trying to run tornado(1994) and terminator 2029(1992) an here. i'm about to just buy a 486 box off ebay to run this crap!

and how do i figure out what setup(ram, mem, video, sound) i have? i thought it was direct something? any help is appreciated!

Reply 1 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no idea about The Sims. At the very least you need to tell us what operating system you are using.

Have you seen the 60 Seconds Guide? That is probably the only way you will get things like Terminator and Tornado running on a modern machine.

blk90sho wrote:

i'm about to just buy a 486 box off ebay to run this crap!

Then you will be out a fair amount of money, and still be lost. That is probably not a good idea.

P.S. In the future, attempts at writing more descriptive subject lines would be appreciated by all. Nothing would be accomplished if everyone used titles like "I'm lost" or "Help" or "I don't know what I'm doing".

Reply 2 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jorpho is right, your post definitely lacks detail.

If you google for Tornado, it requires a 486DX2-66 to run smoothly. But buying anything beyond that is not enough, you have to consider a lot of stuff before you can try and play something on it. 486s are very different from modern PCs and require much more user attention. You can either commit to spend a lot of time on it or install DOSBox and try it from there. Getting a 486 box might seem easier, but it actually is not.

Reply 3 of 18, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you really want a 486 machine then go for it and you will enjoy other games from the era but not to scare you off those machines take effort to get running properly.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 18, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I totally agree with you. I never had a 486, so maybe that's a reason why I'm not trying to build a good one, even if I have some parts. But if I wanted a nice DOS gaming pc, a "slow" pentium (~100-133MHz) would be ideal, and would have many advantages(all of them use edo simms, cpus are very common, finding a heatsink/cooler is easy, ps/2 mouse and usb ports are almost standard on most boards, etc.)

Reply 6 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

Personally I think socket-7 Pentiums are easier to set up and work just as well for DOS as a 486. They're also easier to get hold of.

Word!

I'm planning a YT video / tutorial about building a SS7 based hybrid / vintage PC.

I do care about an authentic experience in terms of image, sound and performance but not fussed with having authentic / original case, parts and all of that.

I like the convenience of modern parts such as ATX case, ATX PSU, PS/2 mice, modern storage options (CF, SATA drives and SSD), 2k compatible BIOS. And yes, I don't miss the CRT screen either...

I have two SS7 machines, both running a Pentium (non MMX) and clocked at 100 MHz. With Cache disabled they behave like a 386DX and so far I haven't run into anything that doesn't run.

For the "end of 80s to early 90s" era, which is my nostalgia time, it's the perfect solution.

For late era DOS games, I would also recommend a Slot 1 machine. They are even easier to work with, best of all, readily available for little money. E.g. a box for Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood and all of these games.

They just don't work well with speed sensitive games.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 18, by blk90sho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, i did some poking around and found what i have:

HP model #s5310y
processor: AMD athlonII X2 250 3.0G
RAM: 4G (3.75 usable)
System type: 64 bit

I don't know my video card but it sucks. I have to run company of heroes at the lowest settings to only lag a little bit. My big problem is I have tornado and the tornado: operation deset storm cd and they won't work together on DOS box. I get menu sound on everything with desert storm but realistic damage and all sound with almost one hit kills one tornado.

Reply 9 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I already said: you need to tell us what operating system you are using. Windows XP? Vista? 7? 64-bit or 32-bit? This is far more important than your hardware specifics.

blk90sho wrote:

My big problem is I have tornado and the tornado: operation deset storm cd and they won't work together on DOS box. I get menu sound on everything with desert storm

So did you follow the 60 Seconds Guide?

but realistic damage and all sound with almost one hit kills one tornado.

I have no idea what this means.

blk90sho wrote:

i also tries "real war" and it runs but super fast. any thing about that?

Once again: are you running it in DOSBox? If so, you need to decrease the number of cycles, as explained in the readme. If you are not running it in DOSBox, you should probably try doing so.

Reply 11 of 18, by Kensuke_Aida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
shamino wrote:

Personally I think socket-7 Pentiums are easier to set up and work just as well for DOS as a 486. They're also easier to get hold of.

Word!

I'm planning a YT video / tutorial about building a SS7 based hybrid / vintage PC.

Please post a link if you actually do this. I have some SDRAM and a couple of other parts (optical and HD) that might be able to go into a build like this, and I'm noticing its a much cheaper option than buying a complete PC. I need to get a motherboard, CPU, case + PSU, video, and sound card.

- John

Reply 12 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kensuke_Aida wrote:

Please post a link if you actually do this. I have some SDRAM and a couple of other parts (optical and HD) that might be able to go into a build like this, and I'm noticing its a much cheaper option than buying a complete PC. I need to get a motherboard, CPU, case + PSU, video, and sound card.

- John

Will do!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 18, by blk90sho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry, iv'e been gone a while. here is my setup:

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/7/2010, 18:36:07
Machine name: BMF-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: AY652AA-ABA s5310y
BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/06/09 10:56:04 Ver: 5.15
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3840MB RAM
Page File: 1758MB used, 5918MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D0&SUBSYS_2A99103C&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1912 MB
Dedicated Memory: 248 MB
Shared Memory: 1663 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SDM-S73
Monitor Id: SNY2770
Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum
Driver File Version: 8.15.0011.8655 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.11.8655
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Model: WDDM 1.0
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/29/2009 03:41:00, 9480192 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4090-11CF-4352-920A02C2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x03D0
SubSys ID: 0x2A99103C
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: oem2.inf:NVIDIA_SetB_Devices.NTamd64.6.0:Section001:8.15.11.8655:pci\ven_10de&dev_03d0&subsys_2a99103c
Rank Of Driver: 00F60001

I'm not really worried about running tornado since i don't have a floppy drive on this box. my main problem is The Sims and Real War. I'm also having problems with trying to reinstall Company of Heroes. It keeps saying it sees a version of the game on here and won't install. The Relic forums seem to be a waste of time so there may be some info on here?

Reply 14 of 18, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you do want to run Tornado on that machine, it'll have to be through DOSBox.

You could find a computer with both a floppy drive and support for USB drives and copy the Tornado install files from the floppy disk to a USB drive. Then, run the installer in DOSBox from the USB drive. Finally, play Tornado!

Reply 15 of 18, by blk90sho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i figured i'd just pick up a usb floppy drive and do DOSbox later. i've played tornado on dos box before. I wanna know wtf is up with The Sims and why Real War runs at 3x speed.

Reply 16 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I Googled <"the sims" "windows 7"> and immediately found http://www.ask.com/answers/51064241/does-the- … rk-on-windows-7 .

I have no idea about Real War. There might be a suitable slowdown utility, but I don't know what would work best in Windows 7. You might want to consider using a virtual machine such as VMware or Virtual PC, which will let you run Windows XP on your system at the same time as Windows 7.

Reply 17 of 18, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it seems like windows 98 machine would suit you it plays 98 games and also games like the sims 1 and other games all the way the up to them id 2000s. or if you had mac you could get Parallels and make a virtual machines.

For those of that don't know parallels does GPU acceleration as well, its the only VM software that i know that does that. I test the monster truck game on the 98 SE disc in DX mode and it played fine. I plan on test some other games like Need For speed 3 and maybe a game from the Gran Theft auto Series.

Reply 18 of 18, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

For those of that don't know parallels does GPU acceleration as well, its the only VM software that i know that does that.

While guest OS being virtualized is 98? What DirectX version are the games?

Otherwise, Parallels is by far not the only one to virtualize DirectX 9 or higher provided you're virtualizing Windows XP or higher.

• Oracle VirtualBox with Extension Pack and Guest Additions
  • VMware Fusion 2.0+ (DirectX 9 Shader model 2)
  • VMware Workstation 5.5-6.0 (Experimental support for DirectX 8; also OpenGL supported with VMGL)
  • VMware Workstation 7.0-9.0+ (Support for DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.1 3D)
  • VMware Player (depending on version and host OS)

others?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto