VOGONS

Common searches

RB3D works 99%

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 177, by Thor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

S! All,

using GeForce3 card on Dell OEM P4 1.3, 768 ram Santa Cruz sndcard. most current files from Glidos RB section the two place into root of RB3D. OpneGL.log can be supplied if needed for reviews but not attached here.

removed all patches and used stock RB3D disk files only this run.

had no problems with terrains and all graphics maximum preferences - fps 29 to 50 based on all views 😀 this dropped when the ground attack started on infantry position namely big time after flaming a MG nest and the DH2's dropped in for a dance. the fps then down to about 12 to 15. Seemd the fps would bounce up again after putting a a couple hundred meters between me and the MG or nme DH2s.

aircraft graphics or some of the tiles depicting specific parts still had the intermittent 'black" trim around eindecker / EIII wing edges but no longer the tail. Note that this vanished when I got wing damage. Also from cockpit view got a grey square "pop up" at times - most annoying for UOF. von Testpilot -- 🤣 when he was shooting a DH2:)

Not sure but still instincts make me think a texture / pallette / palmap thing.

Last edited by Thor on 2002-09-19, 02:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Thor

Reply 121 of 177, by Hentzau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is about the only other thing you should need I think http://www.wings-of-valor.org/files/patches/rb3d1078.exe The version you are picking up could possibly have it already if they have incorporated their own installer I guess. The Baronmmp.exe should be version 1,0,0,7 in its final format after patching. You might want to check before applying the patch.

You might want to use this attached mplayer.ini instead of the stock one if you want to look at the MMP side of things. Just back up your original. This ones even customized for you. 😉 😉 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    mplayer.zip
    File size
    1.74 KiB
    Downloads
    315 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 122 of 177, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thor wrote:

..................Not sure but still instincts make me think a texture / pallette / palmap thing.

Palmap.exe and baron.pal are only active when you use them to load baron.pal on bitmaps you have painted with a different pallette loaded, e.g. in MS paint.

There is no impact on the game, even if you delete the whole stock contents of the paint folder.

I made a sequence of tests loading different Rb-compatible palettes on bmps affected by the "transparency" problem (or black trim as you call it). No difference.

Reply 123 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I just ordered a copy of RB, so I'll be working with the same version as you all are. When it arrives, are there any patches I should apply? I mean patches to correct bugs; I have new3dvols.exe and new-RB3D--no03bmps-standard.exe

Yes!

"Revenge of the Jastas" (ROTJ for short) is an easy to install patch, you simply unzip the files to either Simpatch or Shellpat folders! (Located within the "Data" folder.)

😁

http://benchmarksims.com/ROTJ/index.htm

Reply 124 of 177, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

um... does ROTJ patch bugs in Red Baron? Or is it a texture patch / mission patch / etc.? Paul was asking about patches to fix bugs in Red Baron specifically...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 125 of 177, by VonHelton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmmmmm.........Usually our UOP's contain everything in one package.

Bugg Fixes, historical corrections, improved aircraft, corrected FM/DM, etc.

I can't say for sure we have a patch that *JUST* fixes buggs..........But, maybe one of the old Beery patches might be sufficient for that.

As for using the larger UOP's, they put a greater load on the card, and thus, everything else. Since we are testing a wrapper, logic would suggest we put the game, video card, and wrapper under the heaviest load possible.

In other words, if the wrapper works with WFP or ROTJ, it will work with anything!

😁

Reply 128 of 177, by DeltaK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VonHelton wrote:

................................................................................................

In other words, if the wrapper works with WFP or ROTJ, it will work with anything!

😁

I currently have a ROTJ test install as well. Makes no difference in reproducing the known bugs.

Reply 130 of 177, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Thor wrote:

any ideas on my setting for a Geforce like antiliasing, etc...?

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Settings (tab) > Advanced... > [Card Model] (tab) > Additional Properties... > 3D Antialiasing Settings (tab). Going to the Desktop Utilities tab in the GeForce panel should allow you to turn on a "QuickTweak" icon in the taskbar, with which you can easily change the antialiasing (right-click, 3D Antialiasing Settings).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 133 of 177, by Unregistered

User metadata

hey hope you can help.

I just downloaded both files and tried them out. Everything looked exceptional but i was only get 2fps. It would freeze at first on the runway then i used the ini that was last posted and i could fly but only at 2fps, but it looked great.

Im running this on a laptop. I dont know its specs because its given to me by the college im going to for my aviation classes, and the people that handed them out didnt know its specs. But i know its over 500mhz with a s3 graphics in SavageIX grfx xard. Not much help, I know

So is there something im missing thats causing me to run at 2 fps?

In DD i run anywhere from 30 to 60 fps, thanks for anyhelp

RAF Darkskies

Reply 135 of 177, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Things not going so well at the moment.

Got my nice copy of RB in the post, but found the subfolders inside the Data folder were unreadable under W2K. Under W98, they were sufficiently readable to copy all the files onto my harddisc, but the strain seemed to cause my computer to crash. I made an ISO image of the copied files using Nero, and then used Nero ImageDrive, to fake a CD, and that worked well enough to get RB installed (could have just burnt a new CD I guess).

Then installed new3dvols.exe and new-RB3D--no03bmps-standard.exe.exe, and thought I could then see all the different whether conditions and different islands to fly over, but the only thing I can do that I couldn't before is select different planes. Do I have to play through one campaign to get to another, or something?

The big worry is I still have texture drop out: as soon as I get fired on by the enemy (with those exploding thingies), I get patches of grey in the terrain textures. Setting texture memory to 6 doesn't fix it for me. It just makes it worse. Could be we're using different versions of baronmmp.exe. I wonder why some people are not having this problem. I don't want to try to fix it if it is an RB problem rather than a wrapper problem.

Also flying East seems to be a bad idea. Wicked drop in frame rate. Is there something invisible over there. Think I've seen the moon on odd occasions.

Reply 136 of 177, by Ditdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Paul,

Glidos wrote:

Do I have to play through one campaign to get to another, or something?

As you progress through a campaign you'll be assigned newer aircraft as your squadron upgrades. Eventually you'll be allowed to paint your plane from within the sim. That's in offline single play - online is a whole new world, and one that I've yet to try. More seasoned pilots than I can walk you through the nuances of flying online.

Glidos wrote:

The big worry is I still have texture drop out: as soon as I get fired on by the enemy (with those exploding thingies), I get patches of grey in the terrain textures.?

I think we have all been bitten by that particular graphic feature early in our RB careers. The grey patches you get during combat helped to keep the framerate up on slower machines circa 1997-8. It's easy to get rid of them. Select Preferences from the main menu, then Graphic Settings, Graphic Options, and switch Combat Detail from Faster to Detailed. Voila - the grey polys should be gone.

Glidos wrote:

Also flying East seems to be a bad idea. Wicked drop in frame rate. Is there something invisible over there. Think I've seen the moon on odd occasions.

Are you flying in the morning (sim time?) I'm guessing that this is the sun glare slowdown we have all been seeing. To disable sun glare, from the main menu select Preferences, then Realism, and switch Sun Glare to off. Note that when you have been wounded, a red "haze" or "film" will fade in and out over the entire screen resulting in the same effect. Unlike the sun glare, wound haze can't be turned off. I've been rationalizing it as the dulling of my senses from loss of blood. 😉

Yep, the moon is there, and various graphic patches exist to improve its appearance. Seeing it in the frame hasn't caused any slowdown for me.

Hope this helps, and if any old RB pilots see mistakes here please don't hesitate to jump in and correct me.

Last edited by Ditdat on 2002-09-20, 05:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 138 of 177, by WilliVonBill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Morning Paul,

You may want to try a little off-line flying at first to check out the different terrains by season. From the main screen, choose 'Preferences' and then 'Fly Now'. You'll then be able to select whatever plane tickles your fancy to fly around in as well as selecting which season and particular time of day. At first you might also want to set 'New Enemy Activated' to 'None' and just do some sight seeing. Remember to click 'OK' before starting the 'fly now' mission in order to save and apply your Fly Now preferences. Since you were getting severe loss of FPS when heading East, try setting your 'fly now' time of day to about 12:00 or 13:00 and see if that takes care of it. If so, I'd say you were a vicitim of Sun Glare. Oh, and by the way, if you want to see some trenches complete with balloons, tanks, and bunkers, just fly to the NorthEast corner of your in-flight map. The easiest way is to put the plane on auto pilot (ctrl A) and compress time (}) until your plane icon just dissappears off of the North East corner of the map. Drop back into normal time and look around. You should find the front there...

As for your funky tiles, they way we used to fix it when using a Voodoo card was to limit texture memory to 2 megs., so perhaps you might try a setting of 4 or 2 instead of 6?

By the way, what are the specs of the machine you're running RB on?

Cheers Mate!