VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a kid I played a few King's Quest games with my siblings under the guidance of my aunt. Another adventure game we played has stuck in my memory quite well, but I don't remember the name of it--just a few mental images. I'm hoping someone might know what it was.

I'm not sure if it was a DOS or early Windows game, but it had a Myst-style interface, and it was an adventure game with inventory-based puzzles and semi-realistic (i.e. not cartoony graphics). The image that sticks out in my mind from the game is of the player viewing a field with a spaceship/flying craft from inside what would seem to be the mouth of a cave or tunnel. There was a glowing humanoid figure next to the ship/flying craft, and the puzzle was figuring out how to distract the glowing person and get whatever item they were guarding or stopping you from acquiring.

I know this isn't much to go on, but I've tried googling this to find a screenshot/title to no avail. The only other thing I can remember that might be helpful is that the endgame featured a temple or something surrounded by grey fog with pillars rising in a circle all around you, and the object was to defeat the bad guy (might have been a serpent but I really cannot recall specifically).

Anyways, this has been bugging me for a long time; hopefully someone else can recall the title of the game and resolve this. I would have been playing this probably sometime around 1996-1999, but my aunt always had older games, thus it very well may have been a DOS game she was loading up on the old Packard-Bell PC she had.

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Moved topic to Millyways, got nothing to do with DOSBox

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by kjps86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Holy cow that is it! Seeing the hexagonal spell-casting stone things in the screenshots triggered some more memories, then I looked up a Let's Play on YouTube to see if I could find the image I was thinking of and there it was in the second part!

I'm definitely going to have to try to find this game to play it again, for nostalgia's sake. I remember it being pretty fun/challenging, but that was when I was a kid. Anyways I guess I will find out eventually.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:

Check it on http://www.gog.com/ perhaps you can download it for a few bucks.

Nope! Like numerous other Legend adventure games, Death Gate was based on a series of fantasy novels via a temporary agreement with the author, publisher, etc. that has long since expired. The odds of GOG or anyone else ever being able to finagle the legal rights to any of those games is practically nil.

On an unrelated note, apparently each of the games is coded in such a way that they're unlikely to ever show up in ScummVM, either. Not that it matters too much; they run fine in DOSBox.

kjps86 wrote:

I'm not sure if it was a DOS or early Windows game, but it had a Myst-style interface, and it was an adventure game with inventory-based puzzles and semi-realistic (i.e. not cartoony graphics). The image that sticks out in my mind from the game is of the player viewing a field with a spaceship/flying craft from inside what would seem to be the mouth of a cave or tunnel. There was a glowing humanoid figure next to the ship/flying craft, and the puzzle was figuring out how to distract the glowing person and get whatever item they were guarding or stopping you from acquiring.

I can't remember that at all... Can you link to the appropriate part of the Let's Play?

I might have said Inca on the basis of that description.