Ishar3 in Dosbox .61

Topic actions

First post, by Scorpion666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey there,
just wondering can anyone help me?
im tryin to get Ishar 3 to work in DosBox 0.61 but when the 1st screen loads (silmarils) i get an error message........
"pagefault didnt correct page"

i do know that the older dosbox could run this game.
but i read that 0.61 can now run it!

im i doing something wrong or is it just a setting?

any help to shine a light on this would be great!

My Pc

Windows Xp Pro
2.4ghz 800mhz Intel p4
512mb ddr 400mhz
128mb Geforce FX5500
Chaintech 9cjs motherboard
Envy24 Audio Card

Regards,
Scorpion

Reply 1 of 9, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried running all 3 of the Ishar games through dosbox without any luck. I`d make it to the first intro screen of each and not be able to progress any further. I haven`t tested it with the 0.61 release however.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 2 of 9, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
All 3 Ishar games now work for me using DOSBox 0.61.
Ishar 3 is different than 1 and 2 - it wouldn't work with older versions of DOSBox - it runs in protected mode. I think support for protected mode games has been improved in 0.61.

I have to press the enter key, and wait a few seconds to get past the silmarils screen. Then, on the language selection screen, I have to press a number on the numeric keypad (Top row of number key doesn't work for me)
I'm using a default dosbox.conf, with just the cycles increased to 10000.

For Ishar 3, I did get some sort of error message under DOSBox versions prior to 0.61, but I can't reproduce that error under 0.61 - the game just works now that I have upgraded to 0.61. I wonder if your version of Ishar 3 is different than mine?
Anyway, I hope this mystery can be solved,
Regards, benkid77

Reply 3 of 9, by Scorpion666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey,
i dont know wot version of ishar 3 i have.but i did d/l it of the-underdogs website...
maybe i could d/l the one you get if you can still remember where you got it?

scorpion

Reply 4 of 9, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Scorpion,
I also downloaded my copy of Ishar 3 from the underdogs site. So that can't be the problem - I guess it must be something else that's causing it to fail,
benkid77

Reply 5 of 9, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my copies through underdogs also. Will have to test it out to see if they work my current version of dosbox.

Reply 6 of 9, by Scorpion666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx lads,
will keep trying,it most likely settings i think..
if ye come up with any ideas let me know.

Thx for your time..

regards,
Scorpion

Reply 7 of 9, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok well I tested out Ishar1 in dosbox 0.61, and it works. Whatever you do, DO NOT try running the game in windows 98 or beyond though otherwise your pc speaker will make a noise like your computer is screaming (seriously). Meh.

In dosbox the intro screen gives a loud screeching noise also, but only through the actual speakers or in my case headphones. Runs fine after that.

Reply 8 of 9, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To get Ishar 3 working in DOSBox 0.61 you need to make sure the memory setting in the configuration file isnt set too high. If you set "memsize=16" Ishar 3 should work fine.

Reply 9 of 9, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know, this path is old. But i too have the original CD Version of Ishar 3 and even with Dosbox i got this crash. By the way, the strange symbols after the crash are the normal debug Output. I sent it through a pipe and it reads:

ILLEGAL INTERRUPT #00
eax = 00895440 esi = 00012B5B flags = 3206 ds = 0033
ebx = 00000005 edi = 00012BBB eip = 00003181 es = 0033
ecx = 00000000 ebp = DFFFEDEC cs = 002B fs = 00B0
edx = 00000000 esp = DFFFED7C ss = 0033 gs = 00A8

The source of this problem is the joystick driver. You have three options [0,1,2] and with the setting 2 the problem disappears. Game works. End!

Regards!