VOGONS

Common searches

[solved] Mount cd file in dosbox turbo on Android.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Hammerhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I hope I am posting in the right place.

I'm using dosbox turbo for Android and I have been able to make it work in various games. But I've purchased the gog version of LBA2 and it keeps asking for the cd.

I can use the game in the pc through my own dosbox installation, mounting the .dat file that refers to the .gog and the .ogg files.

But in Android, when I try to mount the .dat file I get the following error:

"could not load image file (...)
MSCDEX: Failure: Invalid file or unable to open."

I've tried to mount the .gog file directly but it keeps telling me that the game needs the cd, and if I edit the .dat file and delete the .ogg part it mounts it, but still ask for the cd when I execute the game.

Could anybody help me?

Last edited by Hammerhand on 2013-08-15, 18:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by Hammerhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, so your pretty simple solution is "I will write two posts to tell this guy that his problem doesn't bother me, instead of writing the solution in only one post?"

I see this guy that sold me dosbox turbo is not related with dosbox, I didn't know. Sorry to bother you.

Reply 5 of 11, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had similar trouble getting the gog versions of dungeon keeper and
theme hospital running on Linux.
After hours of searching, it turned out that dosbox needed to be built
with SDL_sound support included in order to mount those type of images.
I'm assuming that you have no way of loading the SDL_sound and its dev
packages on Android, then re-compiling dosbox, so you'll probably need to get the
Dosbox Turbo author to re-build his version with it included.
Sorry.

Reply 7 of 11, by Hammerhand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I see why I should have contact with the dosbox turbo author (thanks Malik), but didn't suppose it didn't work the same way. I think this had to be the first post.

Thanks to dugdahl too, but I had found the same solution and I knew it was not possible for me, so I kept searching.

Anyway, I've found the solution and I will post it here for any other that have the same problem.

The LBA2.DAT file from gog (the one that points to the .gog file that its the image of the game) has the following format:

FILE "LBA2.GOG" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "LBA2.OGG" MP3
TRACK 02 AUDIO

I changed it for the following text:

FILE "LBA2.GOG" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 65:50:42

I extracted it from the .cue from my own LBA2 cd.

Now dosbox turbo mounts the .gog file without problem and the game works perfectly.

Reply 9 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Perhaps at the top of the registration agreement for VOGONS could have in big bold font " We do not Support Android ports of DOSBox"

Or abandonware. Might as well try to discourage people from even registering if that's their only reason for coming here.

Reply 10 of 11, by yahma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Android ports of DosBox are compiled w/o sdl_sound library in order to save resources on mobile devices. That means no CD-Audio support in your bin/cue file if using OGG or MP3. Best option is to modify the cue file as above (ie. remove the audio tracks from the cue file), or just mount the bin/iso/gog file instead of trying to mouse the cue/inst file. Once you've mounted the bin file, install the game and run the setup.exe to select either soundblaster or midi for the music.

Worked for every GOG game I've tried on DosBox Turbo. If you really desire MP3/OGG audio support, contact the dosbox turbo author and let him know. He told me if theres enough demand, he'll recompile with sdl_sound... but who knows what kind of performance impact that would have.

[EDIT] I assume you are using legally purchased GoG images... as no support can be provided for abandonware!
[EDIT2] Latest version of DosBox Turbo now supports mixed mode cd's (ie. CD-Audio) for MP3&OGG. No need to edit cue files anymore.