VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two motherboards which had leaky batteries. In both cases I desoldered the battery and cleaned the residue with white vinegar and isopropyl alcohol.

Now my 486 board won't even let me enter BIOS. I can see it do a RAM count, report floppy drive error then it switches to a blank screen displaying :47:56Z000 in the top left corner. I thought the battery residue just damaged the coating not the traces themselves...

The weird thing is that this board worked just fine before I cleaned it. Any ideas?

As I was writing this, I went back and tried to power it on a few more times. Now it won't output anything to the screen and it doesn't give me any beeps. WTF...

That 386 board, on the other hand works fine.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 8, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked most, if not all traces that looked suspicious and they all gave a beep on the voltmeter. So unless it's one of the traces that I couldn't get to, I don't know what it could be.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 8, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the boards i cleaned had problems with the keyboard, so i soldered an like some people at vogons suggested to, but than it wouldnt start at all 😀

I have not made any errors during soldering, it might be possible that the internal lines were also damaged.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I do full board washes when something like this comes up as sometimes the acid from the battery as well the vinegar finds its way into spaces not easily seen. Good luck with your build.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.