post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 380 of 2202, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice looking setup ya got there. Is that a U2410? Love mine. 😀

Try a 3 monitor setup if only for a short time. You can use SoftTH to span DX9 games across 3 monitors and they don't have to match at all. Almost all games will require tweaking and some will not work at all but when you get titles like Portal and Fallout 3 to work it's crazy fun and immersive.

I also recommend getting a KVM switch if you don't have one, that way you can have 3 monitors for your main rig and when you want to go retro you just switch one over on the fly. Or vice versa. Works well for me.

Reply 381 of 2202, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a U2410 yes. Got it as a replacement for some Samsung Synchmaster, simply cause the contrast in dark areas was quite bad on the Samsung. The IPS panel simply looks so much better.

I don't use two screens for gaming, and at the moment I don't really think of the games I play would benefit from having multiple screens. The small screen I usually use for my browser while I got other apps open on the main screen.
If I do manage to fit 3 screens on my desk, I'll probably have two permanently connected to the retro computers, and one will be a CRT 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 382 of 2202, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's what's left of my computer lab... Basically I've got the remaining displays and peripherals out of sight since I don't have the space to keep them available all the time. The CRTs alone take up a lot of room.

leonardos_corner.jpg
Filename
leonardos_corner.jpg
File size
111.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

More on the PCs themselves here:
My oldest rig, Hyundai HD-P5233M
My second rig, a Wings no-name

As far as games go, I'm sort of "greatest hits" kind of guy, but many of my games don't have their boxes any more (and thus can't be seen here) and many others I'm still waiting for the opportunity to buy and try...

leonardos_games.jpg
Filename
leonardos_games.jpg
File size
158.91 KiB
Views
File license

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 383 of 2202, by grev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really impressed with some of the setup's posted. Congrats guys.

I'd show mine but it's a bit of a mess. Don't get me started on the shed...

I'm absolutely blown away by some of the roland kit people have shown off, they're completely absent from my gaming history except for being a setup option in some games that I needn't ever choose.

also, hi, i lurk 😜

Reply 384 of 2202, by samaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have one spot where I have my stuff. I've been collecting vintage computers and game consoles for probably 11 years now. Everything have spread out like a virus in the basement in my house. I do have more than what is pictured, but probably not necessary to show every detail.

Here is where I keep my windows 7 computer along with a large amount of games, software and literature. Also a lot of junk besides that.

20130914_143318_zps2ec8c2ec.jpg
20130914_143340_zpsbbd64197.jpg

This is the area I mainly play my Nintendo, Sega, Atari, C64, Amiga, whatever consoles/computers. I prefer to use a CRT TV for that purpose, since they're made for it.

20130914_143426_zps0f1c6d64.jpg

This is where I have a lineup of different computers. From the left they're the following: Kontiki-100 (norwegian made computer), Wyse PC+ (8088 DOS computer) and an IBM 55SX.

20130914_143505_zpse972ae99.jpg

Further to the right is where my Win98SE computer currently lives.

20130914_143536_zpsed5c0b56.jpg

And finally my prized possession, Osborne 1 portable computer. I'd imagine this one is very rare as it have the Norwegian keyboard layout. The best of all, I got it for free! Someone were about to toss it in the bin when I saved it. Works like a charm.

20130914_143809_zps4c9901f9.jpg

Win7: Intel i7-4960X CPU, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, nVidia GeForce GTX780Ti x2, 16gb 1866MHz DDR3 RAM, 120gb SSD OS
Win98SE: AMD K6 200MHz CPU, aOpen motherboard, ATi 3D Rage II, Voodoo2 SLI, GUS MAX 1mb, SB AWE64 Gold, 256mb SDRAM, 20gb HDD

Reply 385 of 2202, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:
http://imageshack.us/a/img846/6416/pc1k.jpg […]
Show full quote

pc1k.jpg

Lots of neat stuff...but...Dreamcast FTW!!! 😀

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 386 of 2202, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

workspace1.png
--> Click here for more console pics & info <--

workspace2.png

Reply 388 of 2202, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
simbin wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:
Show full quote

pc1k.jpg

Agreed. I still have my Dreamcast, the graphics on those games still look incredible to me. Favorite game was Skies of Arcadia.

Reply 389 of 2202, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine's kind of messy,but here we go!
file.php?mode=view&id=12844

Attachments

• Filename
    computing area.jpg
    File size
    239.14 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    I was browsing 4chan
    File license

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 391 of 2202, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No.I don't have a video cable for it sadly.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 392 of 2202, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiremaster400 wrote:
simbin wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:
Show full quote

pc1k.jpg

Agreed. I still have my Dreamcast, the graphics on those games still look incredible to me. Favorite game was Skies of Arcadia.

I pick them up cheap on Craigslist whenever I can, so I have spare parts. Wish I bought a VGA cable when they were reasonably priced. I haven't played that game, but hear it's all the rage. So many great games for the system... It was clearly underrated and still holds up today IMO.

Reply 393 of 2202, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VGA on the Dreamcast is great, makes the games very sharp looking, though sadly it has the flaw that some games simply don't work with it, and this tends to hurt PAL games more.

the PAL version of Skies of Arcadia for instance simply refuses to start if the console is using VGA, same with RE Code Veronica, while the US versions work fine, its quite absurd.

at least RGB is still very sharp , especially compared to the blurry composite picture alot of people seem to be content with.

Reply 394 of 2202, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished work on my new computer gaming room. It took me several weeks to repaint everything, repair the water damage and put in a new floor etc., so I'm quite happy that the room is now usable. It's not completely finished yet, there are still some things not working or requiring cleanup, but at least it's clean enough to take some pictures (link to all 13 photos at the bottom)

Some quick hardware specs:
-Commodore C64-II with two floppies and original Monitor. No hardware modifications
-Amiga 500 with RAM Expansion and no further modifications either. Unfortunately I need to modify the scart rgb cable, because it causes issues with the TV
-The mini tower is a dedicated 3DO Blaster machine built specifically for that card
-The big tower is my main DOS system. P233MMX, 256MB SDRAM, Matrox Mystique 8MB (yes, 😎, 6MB Voodoo1, AWE32 with DB50XG, GUS PnP and a Forte VFX-1 controller card
-Not pictured: High End Socket A system. Athlon XP 3200+, 2048MB RAM, Radeon X850XT-PE. Used for games that don't run on the 233MMX anymore and aren't compatible with modern systems

Audio Hardware:
-Roland MT-32 old version
-Roland SC-55
-Yamaha TG100
-Some random AMP and speakers
So far only the DOS PC is hooked up to the amplifier...I need to buy a mixer with a couple of inputs to get everything on the big speakers

Games:
Primarily good old Dungeon Crawlers, other RPGs and Adventures. Of course I've got games of other genres as well, but they're not in here.
The decoration on the walls fits the game selection pretty well. FYI: The Wizardry artworks in the smaller frames on the wall are original Drawings/Sketches made for the cancelled eigth Wizardry game.

If you can't tell from the pictures, the whole room is -really- small, about 6.5m² or 70ft², so I'm really happy with the amount of hardware I managed to get in there, while maintaining a clean look 😉

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask.
3U9iZB4h.jpg
Nk27WlEh.jpg
ObBa3w2.jpg
iU0De4xh.jpg
ORy17Rd.jpg

Whole image gallery: http://imgur.com/a/oZ9ga#0

::42::

Reply 397 of 2202, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stull:
Yeah, the RPG theme is really subtle, so I made sure to drop some hints 🤣

F2bnp:
I've got a separate Diablo Collection in another room, about 20 different versions. It's one of my all time favorite games, but I wasn't really sure where to put all those boxes, so I kept them where they were.

But if you look closely in the linked gallery, there are a bunch of english and japanese (!) Diablo guide books in the second shelf 😉

I also love those (cloth) maps...I wish I had more space on the walls to put up all the Might&Magic maps, but it would start to look cramped in that room. Maybe I'll switch decorations every now and then, but knowing how lazy I am it probably won't happen.

::42::

Reply 399 of 2202, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow Mystery what a nice setup. It's very light in there, do you always let that much sunlight in? I try to keep the blinds drawn as much as possible in my fun room to keep the UV off my precious beige!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.