VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Has anyone managed to make it work? I've installed the Application Compatibility Toolkit v4.1 and fiddled with some of the settings, but I haven't had any success.

Theres a thread in HOTU forums about running this game in XP:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42135

But it seems nobody has found a solution yet.

Does anyone have experience with the ACT v4.1 ? Which settings should I try? There are way too many of them to check all the combinations!

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to that link the game runs fine in 9x, therefore if you use Qemu/VPC/Vmware with 9x as a guest then the game should run fine.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, thanks a lot for the tip. I always believed that Virtual PC was useless for playing games, but to my surprise it does work! And very well!

I installed Win98SE under Virtual PC 2004 SP1 and the game worked correctly, but the MIDI music was very crappy. It seems that VPC2004 doesn't redirect MIDI to the host computer, and instead renders it internally.

So I tried to install Virtual Sound Canvas 3.23 inside the guest win98se system and it also worked! Whoaah! I'm even more surprised than before!

I'm really impressed with Virtual PC. I really shouldn't have dismissed it before trying it. My bad.

Thanks DosFreak.
Best regards.

Reply 3 of 9, by Maxor127

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to get midi to work properly without using Virtual Sound Canvas? It looks like it's a pay program so I'm hoping to find a way to get midi to work naturally within the settings.

Reply 5 of 9, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since VirtualPC emulates a real S3 video chip and has decent SB16 support (without MIDI, as you noticed), it's better for legacy DOS/Win3.1/Win9x games than VMWare Workstation. DOSBox kills them all of course, but it doesn't support Win9x.

I keep perfectly optimized copies of DOS/Win3.1 and Win98 on both VMWare and VPC to play with. That's the nice thing about the "hardware" remaining constant - you can optimize the conventional memory perfectly for DOS. It's too bad they don't work as well for DOS games though.

If you haven't noticed, you may also want to upgrade to VirtualPC 2007 with SP1. It's been out for awhile.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. No one has ever even made the Network Edition run in XP, much less Windows 8.

The only solution is to use a virtual machine (VMware, Virtual PC, VirtualBox, maybe QEmu) running Windows 98 .

Reply 8 of 9, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually there is a patch to run SimCity 2000 Network Edition on Windows XP onwards, check http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1d9j … y_like_its_1996