VOGONS

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Recently bought myself a nice Toshiba Libretto 100ct mini laptop. It has a Win98se/DOS dual boot. I have the SB Pro part working fine but the Yamaha OPL3 MIDI sound I can't seem to get working outside of Windows 98.

I have downloaded the updated Yamaha OPL3 drivers for both Win98 and Win3.1/DOS (along with that SETUPSA configuration thing). But when I configure and test the midi part in the configuration screen it stops working again outside again! (The midi settings then conflict the SB Pro sound settings).

As I said before, both midi and SB Pro sound settings works together fine in Win98 (via Doom or Duke 3D) but it's a no goer in DOS (even in the "Restart to MS-DOS" part). Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks for your time

Reply 1 of 3, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I remember from playing around with the same OPL3-SAx part in my Satellite Pro 480CDT, the MIDI engine of that chip ONLY works within Windows as it's a software synth. Best we'll get out of DOS is the OPL3 music.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 2 of 3, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. Forgot to mention I had soft midi enabled (forgot proper option name). I would've thought that, but why does the midi work in the SETUPSA configuration screen? Also works with DOS games that use it when ran through Windows 98