VOGONS

First post, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Evening all,

During my regular strolls through ebay, Ive noticed that ive never come across any XGI V5s, V8s or duos.

All jokes aside about them being in dumpsters, where are they all? Does anyone here have one?

Just one of those obscurities that Id love to have in my collection. 😀

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 1 of 9, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have at least one, would have to check which one. Got it with a bunch of other uncommon VGAs. I don't think there's anything special about them.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think not very many of them have been sold. Combined with the fact that not all old hardware is at some point sold on Ebay this is enough of an explanation for me.

Reply 3 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct, they were not popular even when they were current and very few really sold so they are rare. Chances of finding one listed is slim to none but finding in bulk lots might have better chances.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 9, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know they weren't popular courtesy of their abysmal performance. And I certainly don't expect to find them listed on ebay at any given time, it's just a thought that enters my mind when browsing.

If anyone happens to come across one please let me know 😀

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 5 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last V8 Duo I saw for sale on ebay was an ES and had no cooling fans installed. IIRC, it wasn't even functional, either. That didn't stop the seller from wanting a lot of money for it, though.

Reply 7 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides from probably not very many PCX2's sold they only work on Windows 9x. No NT/2000/XP, no DOS (except TR1), no Linux.
I suppose most people who would sell their card when not using it any more will already have done so for this reason alone.
Same holds true for Rendition cards. (Riva 128 too, but those were more common, work on NT 4.0 and maybe Linux.)
Rage Pro cards work on 2000/XP, even with 3D acceleration, and they were really common, especially with OEMs.

Reply 8 of 9, by Concupiscence

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
idspispopd wrote:
Besides from probably not very many PCX2's sold they only work on Windows 9x. No NT/2000/XP, no DOS (except TR1), no Linux. I su […]
Show full quote

Besides from probably not very many PCX2's sold they only work on Windows 9x. No NT/2000/XP, no DOS (except TR1), no Linux.
I suppose most people who would sell their card when not using it any more will already have done so for this reason alone.
Same holds true for Rendition cards. (Riva 128 too, but those were more common, work on NT 4.0 and maybe Linux.)
Rage Pro cards work on 2000/XP, even with 3D acceleration, and they were really common, especially with OEMs.

Yeah, the PCX2s are locked firmly into Win9x. They sold, they ran games as they were released, and as time went on everybody but people like us forgot about 'em. Rendition's support is a little better - there's a driver in X.org with native modesetting, but nobody's ever gotten the 2D acceleration working reliably. I've got no idea about the Riva 128 in Linux, though there was an experimental, very old driver released under the Utah-GLX project that probably hasn't been poked or updated in years. Nouveau has no interest in supporting it either.

As for the Volaris... Ugh. Those were genuinely awful cards from top to bottom. The 256 MB Volari V5 I bought around 2005 is the only card I ever returned in less than 24 hours. In Half-Life 2 it was slower than a GeforceFX 5200 with half the memory bandwidth and showed ugly visual artifacts all over the place, and for some reason the OpenGL driver deliberately refused to expose supported functionality to Doom 3 so it ran in the ugly fallback ARB compatibility path. 2D video playback was just fine, but everything else was pathetic.

Reply 9 of 9, by Slaventus86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Volari V3 and V3XT show up on ebay frequently. For 2 last years I've seen Volari V8 Duo Ultra twice, one card was working, with box, manuals etc (yeah, I've bought it 😎 ) And only once I've seen Volari V5 card on ebay.

Videocard Virtual Museum