VOGONS

Winamp is Dead

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pretty much use VLC for all my media playback on my PC's.

One thing I did use Winamp for was to rip my entire CD Audio discs into one large .WAV file and compress it to .MP3 for use in my car audio system.

Worked great for audio cd's from Pink Floyd and the like that created many one continuous track albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Hear and The Wall etc...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 21 of 47, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

I always use Winamp, I have no idea what you're talking about.

What music players do you guys use?

Foobar2000 on Windows, Banshee on Linux.

Reply 22 of 47, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

the interface is ugly

Well, that's why there's skins, right?

it crashes very often (especially if you have any plugins installed).

Maybe you're installing bad plugins?

I'll admit that it really annoyed me that there was no easy way to sort a bunch of playlist entries by track, except with the ActiveWinamp plugin, which is indeed kind of buggy.

Reply 23 of 47, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can someone tell me which was the best and last version of winamp for windows 95 / windows 98??

I thought it was 5.66 but that one was released in this year.. I guess i needs te be an older version..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 25 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Can someone tell me which was the best and last version of winamp for windows 95 / windows 98??

It's definitely one of the 5.xx versions... support for Win98 wasn't dropped THAT early.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 47, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Last version that support Win9x is Winamp 5.35. But unfortunately according to DJ Egg has some issues. If you need the latest fully functional version use 5.24. But I would keep a copy of 2.95 without the AOL junk as well.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=270944

Known Issues:

CD Playback & CDDB are broken under Win98/ME (more info)
Note: CD Burning under Win9x was already broken (as from v5.24)

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=2286766&postcount=30

As I said, CD Burning is definitely broken on Win9x in 5.35,
and CD Playback only works by manually opening the CD (the ML CD Views are always blank, and CDDB returns no results).

5.24 was the last fully working version under Win9x.

Reply 28 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was no 4. It went from 3 to 5, which retained 2's look as well as 3's as a separate optional interface (hence 3 + 2 = 5). Winamp 3 was jsut THE WORST VERSION EVER JUMP THE SHARK version for the forced new 'scalable' interface and that stupid "Thinger" as well as having a large memory footprint.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 47, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

the interface is ugly

Well, that's why there's skins, right?

Most of those only make it worse 🤣
I would have preferred the plain Win2K look really. But Winamp Modern is okay I guess... At least it's a lot better than most virus scanner UIs.

Jorpho wrote:

it crashes very often (especially if you have any plugins installed).

Maybe you're installing bad plugins?

The only 3rd-party plugins I use are AdPlug, Alpha-II SPC Player, and XMP. Adplug is the worst offender, certain file formats will cause it to crash instantly. And if you close Winamp while playing an adlib file, you won't be able open it again until you remove the Adplug plugin.

But even the default plugins seem to be buggy (on my system, at least). Opening the MIDI plugin preferences while playing a MIDI file will work once, but always crashes on the second try. And sometimes, Milkdrop will randomly crash every five minutes or so.

Reply 30 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My fondest memories of Winamp revolved around a pirate internet TV station called UK Gold (not related to the legitimate UK cable television channel of the same name). I say "pirate" because they used to broadcast a lot of classic television shows and films without the consent of copyright holders until the BBC, ITV and others got wind of it and sent them legal notices to stop broadcasting their material illegally. I was introduced to a lot of classic UK television and movies that were never broadcast or sold in the USA before through them. I had to go out and buy a region free DVD player so I could order some of those programs to keep permanently because once I had seen many of them I had to have them but my old DVD player couldn't get past the region coding on the DVD's. Winamp was required to view the streaming content.

Reply 31 of 47, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably the worst problem I ever had with Winamp was that it would install the Sonic ripping engine, which could not be easily uninstalled and put in an UpperFilter (or was it a LowerFilter) that caused problems with reading CDs and DVDs in other applications. Nasty, nasty little thing. Why the heck would I want to use Winamp for ripping CDs anyway?

Robin4 wrote:
Can anybody tells me which version this was: http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/1129890875.jpg (i guess its 4??) […]
Show full quote

Can anybody tells me which version this was:
1129890875.jpg (i guess its 4??)

That's Winamp 5 with one of the modern skins. I think it's whatever was in place right before the "Bento" skin was introduced. So, Winamp 5.35, I guess.

EDIT: Acht, that's the Winamp "Modern" skin that's still included in current versions.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2013-11-27, 14:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 47, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somebody should seriously consider backing up the skins and plugins from the winamp website, before it gets awry and MS gets their hands on EVERY thing, and so forth..

MaxWar wrote:

I like to use Winamp because it really whips the llama's ass.

Oh so true 😀

Also Winamp 4.. think about:

Mom: What are you doing on your pc son ?
Son: I am making Winamp 4 skins
Mom: You are making what ? Winamp foreskins ?
Son: Awkward moment of silence... yeah mom I am making skins for Winamp 4, the newest version of Winamp.

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2013-11-25, 18:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 47, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps ArchiveTeam is already working on it... if not, someone should suggest it to them.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 47, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Perhaps ArchiveTeam is already working on it... if not, someone should suggest it to them.

That has been done a couple of days already. You can grab it from archive.org along with download.nullsoft.com where you could get the installers. You might need to wait a few more days if you need the wiki as well...

https://archive.org/details/Winamp.comPanicgrab20131120
https://archive.org/details/Download.nullsoft.com

Also DrO made another forum for Winamp enthusiasts. Not much stuff in there, but you can find a few goodies like the Android Winamp Pro Stub file, because that was taken down from Google Play as well. Here's a link to the board:

http://winampforum.com/

Reply 37 of 47, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Note to forward to your friends: […]
Show full quote

Note to forward to your friends:

Hi!

I just signed the petition "AOL: Keep Winamp alive or let it go open source" on Change.org.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/aol-kee … =share_petition

Thanks!

J.W.

😀

Reply 38 of 47, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Signed!!

I wish they let it go Open source, I think I will cry from the emotion if it does.

But If Micro$oft are really serious about buying it, not likely to happen.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.