VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 402 of 1104, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this to work. 😀 For whatever reason the windowed resolution was set to 640x471, setting it to 640x480 fixed it (even though I run fullscreen).

Wonder if it is possible switching out SGLDrv.dll with an older version...

Reply 403 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No because SGLDrv.dll (like the rest of the DLLs) are built on headers tied to the specific Core.dll and Engine.dll libraries. You can not mix and match drivers between versions or other UnrealEngine games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 404 of 1104, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's how the game looks. Some varying degrees of screwup on the HUD, compared to the video. 4.1.2 Revolution drivers used.

ut goty pcx2.png
Filename
ut goty pcx2.png
File size
355.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 405 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can, try the original release build (400) or even the demo (348) and don't apply the hex editing step. It looks much better in the older builds.

I haven't tried it progressively patched to see what exact version the SGLdrv screws up though...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 406 of 1104, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well there is actually some truth to the "pro gamer" comment on the video description, it is a lot easier to see enemies 🤣 it would be hilarious to play online with this card, but with it being Win9x only and UT anticheat requiring 2k something tells me that these people have no love for the PCX2...

Is it known which Unreal version introduced the broken SGLDrv? It is a shame they removed this completely in Gold, but I've heard any vanilla version will work with Kernelex.

Btw Forsaken demo looks surprisingly bad on this, wasn't expecting black squares given that the game offers a PowerVR path.

Reply 407 of 1104, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's some Unreal, vanilla unpatched version. Second shot with VertexLighting=True. Hmm, it could be argued that the default settings aren't that great for the PowerVR card...

unreal pcx2.png
Filename
unreal pcx2.png
File size
287.23 KiB
Views
File license
unreal pcx2 #2.png
Filename
unreal pcx2 #2.png
File size
271.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 410 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never got 24-bit/32-bit rendering working in Unreal even with the depth set to 24. Anyone else ever got it to work?

It would be better since it'll run faster 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 411 of 1104, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why do the textures look like that? I'm really curious now... Man screenshots make a load of difference compared to youtube videos...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 413 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

Why do the textures look like that?

The lightmap is intensified and then alpha blended (brighter light = less alpha). It's also why it's so blocky since it does not have precise bilinear filtering on alpha channels.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 414 of 1104, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get this sinking feeling Tim Sweeny must of been disappointed with the PowerVR renderer.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 415 of 1104, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

I get this sinking feeling Tim Sweeny must of been disappointed with the PowerVR renderer.

It is even more mystifying that a RRedline renderer wasn't written by Rendition or Epic. Though I suppose the lack of per pixel mip mapping may have been the nail in that coffin for Unreal.

Reply 417 of 1104, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Sweeney's favorite renderer is SoftDrv 😀

He still wants CPU based rendering today AFAIK. He liked Larrabee. GPUs seem to be slowly heading in his desired direction.

Reply 418 of 1104, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For those Midas owners who stumble upon this thread, you can now also find the drivers from DriverGuide here. They've yet to be tested AFAIK:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=530
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=531

A bit more info here:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=60603&page=4

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 419 of 1104, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume that's a Midas 3 driver? Seeing as PCX1 and 2 are also Midas cards it might be confusing if you don't use the 3.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info