Common searches

Blood problems

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Create .BAT file in the same directory as the BLOOD executable and paste this into it:

NOLFB.COM
BLOOD.EXE

Then run THAT with VDMSound. (Or without if you want crappy sound.) That should give it higher-resolution video.
As for the sound:
Check the properties of the .VLP shortcut and click "Advanced", go to the "Troubleshooting" tab, check the "Custom Configuration" box and paste the following into the open text area:

[VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1

That should fix it for you. You still shouldn't try ultra-high quality audio since you probably don't have enough processor power for it but instead use 22kHz 16-bit 8-voice stereo. (And VDMSound is on IRQ7, not IRQ5, remember that. 😀)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 21 of 47, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well at least we have some good news now. I managed to be able to run Blood at high resolution just fine. heres the catch, when i quit the game the whole screen is garbled. the only way i can restore it is to change resolutions. Since i cant see most of the screen, i have to cycle through my games folder and run a non-dos game that takes up fullscreen. when i exit the game everything is back to normal. But i managed to work around that thanks to windows xp compability modes. I just set the game to run under 640x480 so that when i exit it switches back to my desktop resolution. So the video part is taken care of.

Now the sound, I did exactly what you told me to with VDMsound and the same thing happens, the game hangs at the menu screen with the same continuing 'gong'. I dont care about the sound quality anymore, at least i got it to work. but hey, if you have any other solutions available let me know. Thanks a lot by the way.

Oh and does NOLFB work with all dos games or just build games specifically?

Agree with us on everything
or we won't help with anything
that kind of attitude
just makes a split grow wider

Reply 22 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NOLFB does just that it disabled the linear frame buffer. So any program that does not need the LFB for certain resolutions will be fine.

As for the desktop distortion it happens here too on my 9700 Pro. I simply switch resolutions at my desktop.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 47, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well goddamn, blood is acting up again. the same exact symptoms (slowdown then speedup then die). I tried all the different VDMsound configurations listed above, anything else i can try? Thanks again.

Agree with us on everything
or we won't help with anything
that kind of attitude
just makes a split grow wider

Reply 24 of 47, by Comreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to dig this sucker up but I've gotten really close to getting Blood working decently. The only problem left is an annoying crackling during sound effects and music. It makes it hard to hear anything. Does anyone know why this happens?

Here's what I've done so far:
-Turn Win95 compatibility mode on for the blood exe (in WinXP)
-Use the latest version of VDMsound (ver 2.1 beta)
-Apply the CLI2NOP hack
-Have NOLFB run in the background
-Setup Blood properly (IRQ, Sound Card type, etc.).

The game is set to run at 640x480.

Reply 26 of 47, by Comreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the crackeling is a little less noticeable now for whatever reason. Here's what I did:

-I tried running the game now without patching it with CLI2NOP and it ran slower than before (don't think this is what made it slow).
-I went to my VDMsound shortcut for blood and unchecked "Cap DOS Timer Frequency" under the "performance" tab (don't ask why) and the lag went away but the crackeling is more faint.

Still don't know what causes the crackeling.

Reply 27 of 47, by Comreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally broke down and did a winxp/win98 dual boot.

Everything works fine until I get to the desktop. At which point everything looks garbled. It get's worse as windows has to redraw stuff (opening and closing menus, minimizing windows, etc.). Here's a screenshot:

http://home.earthlink.net/~comreak/images/garbled.jpg

It happens everytime and it doesn't go away until I reboot.
Any idea what could cause this?

My Specs:
Athlon XP 2100+
512 megs of PC2700 RAM
MSI KT6 Delta (latest VIA 4-in-1s)
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (latest catalyst drivers(4.2))
Soundblaster Audigy (using the dos drivers from the cd for soundblaster 16 compatibility)

Other Info:
The problems occurs using both the vesa video mode(res doesn't matter) and the standard 320x200 video mode.
All default sound settings for blood (SB16/AWE 32, DMA 1/7, IRQ 7, highest quality on sound settings)

Reply 29 of 47, by Comreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My usb mouse wont work in dos. I'd also like to figure out why this is happening to the desktop (it didn't happen before). It only seems to happen with build games so far (doesn't happen when I run UW or stonekeep).

Reply 30 of 47, by Brown Jenkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I'm not able to run Blood under WinXP. I'm using NOLFB.COM as mentioned in this forum. For testing I've set sound and music off. I've also set the blood.exe to win95-compatiblity-mode. Every time I start Blood the following error-message appears:
src\demo.cpp(510): File error #11 loading demo file header.

My System:
WinXP Pro SP1/Radeon9800Pro/512MB Ram/Athlon64

I'd be thankful for any help.

Reply 31 of 47, by Teller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried this

http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/

worked for me

Vista 32 Bit (SP 1)
Intel Quad 2.4 Gig
4 Gig RAM
Dual SLi NVidia G-Force 9600GS
Forceware 174.90 (latest available)
Video Bios 64.94.21.00.26

Reply 32 of 47, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had these kinds of problems myself in Blood and in Shadow Warrior. I had to apply CLI2NOP to get them both to run with sound at all. I'm not sure what the issue is but the fixpopf=1 does NOT fix the issue. My system is an Athlon 3000+ on an nforce2 mobo using onboard sound and running WinXP. After applying CLI2NOP the games run, but not perfectly. I have a win98 dual boot configuration and the games run smooth under 98. In XP they run choppy by comparison although they do have sound and a decent framerate after CLI2NOP. I can't explain it to you but I would REALLY like for you guys that work on VDMSound to figure it out (assuming there is a way to do it without patching each game's executable).

Reply 34 of 47, by Teller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Which version of blood are you using?
Which version of VDMSound are you running?
What res. is set in your blood.cgf

Vista 32 Bit (SP 1)
Intel Quad 2.4 Gig
4 Gig RAM

Reply 35 of 47, by Brown Jenkin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use the 'One Unit Whole Blood' version (which can be legally downloaded at http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4153 ).

The resolution set in the blood.cfg is: 640x480

I've tried VDMSound 2.10 as well as 2.04. The Launchpad is v.1.0.1.1 (can't find any newer version of it).

Reply 36 of 47, by Teller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You got the same version of blood as me

Sounds like you done it all right
did you run cli2nop in a "dos" window from run cmd , first time i did this i only got 40 files, next time i got 54

otherwise not sure my friend

If you want the videos to go with the game give me a shout

Vista 32 Bit (SP 1)
Intel Quad 2.4 Gig
4 Gig RAM

Reply 38 of 47, by Teller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just had a thought have you got win95 compatibility enabled, if you have then take it off

Movies available from here

http://www.deathmask.net/files/movies/

you need the .smk and .wav files the edit the blood.ini

Best of Luck

Vista 32 Bit (SP 1)
Intel Quad 2.4 Gig
4 Gig RAM