VOGONS

First post, by neffwashere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings! Finally got Destruction Derby 2 running on my Macbook, with help from threads here!

It's just running too fast, between 1.5 to 2 times. I'm using DOSBox, and I've messed with the cpu settings, and tried frameskip. The problem is that it SEEMS that the game uses clock timing, instead of CPU cycles. Any frameskip or CPU cycle limit decreases framerate, but doesn't affect the game timing. So it still runs fast, but choppy 😜 And when I change the core or cputype settings, the game either runs super slow (low frame rate and timing), or is unaffected. Anyone know if there's any hope, like a feature in DOSBox that can scale the clock? Or something I don't know about?

Thanks!

Now, for anyone else trying to run DD2 on Mac, I'll post my steps, since I had to scrounge around a bit.
1) Get original CD, or download iso/image (~683.5 MB for me). Get DOSBox and DAEMON Tools (my mac wouldn't mount the img I downloaded)
2) Change DOSBox configuration file setting for cputype to pentium_slow (Just for install process, you can revert after) (And you'll have to dig around a bit for that config file, it's "(YourUserName)/Library/Preferences/DOSBox 0.74 Preferences"
3) Mount the image using DAEMON Tools. Mount 2 DOSBox drives, one for install dest, and one to the cd. For the cd, use "mount d /Volumes/DD2_PC -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label DD2_PC". I'm not sure why, but the source path doesn't actually matter.. I think the -usecd 0 combined with DAEMON Tools mounting makes the CD verification pass
4) Run the DOS/INSTALL.BAT from the mounted cd drive in dosbox, and follow normal install procedure.
5) At this point you could close DOSBox, and set cputype back to auto in the config file, then of course relaunch
6) Change to your installed path, and run SETSOUND.EXE. Choose to automatically detect sound settings.
7) Finally… run dd2hires

I would love to have a better way to mount the image so that DD2 could still verify it. Hate having to mount with DAEMON Tools, especially since I only have a 20 day trial right now.

Notes, and Windows:
There are sites that let you download a ~8 MB version of the game, but it only runs in Windows (when you try in DOSBox it says "this is a windows 95 executable") So I guess that's a windows rip of the game. IF you can find a DOS rip version of the game like that, then that should work in DOSBox right?

If you get the windows rip version, you should be able to run on a Windows machine, but you might have to turn down hardware acceleration in Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot. Turn it down to "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D acceleration…". I've only tried it on XP.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Moving to DOSBox forum

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The software hires version of Destruction Derby 2 runs too fast even on contemporary hardware like a Pentium 166. It is just a damn mess!! Play with lowres version which does not have this problem or get the Matrox Mystique version.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 5, by neffwashere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah thanks for the move!

DD2HIRES is working on my desktop PC, with hardware acceleration disabled. It seems to run at about the normal speed that I remember! Maybe because it's the 'rip' version? I think I did install it from my original disc last year and it worked though. I'll try to see if I can find a Matrox Mystique version somewhere I guess!

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 5, by neffwashere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In a recent post about DOSBox speed in a different game, ripsaw8080 said:
"I think the game uses real mode, so see if settings of core=dynamic cycles=max give better speed. It might seem like cycles=max would be too fast, but it is actually an adaptive setting."

I've tried it though, DD2 still runs the same fast speed on my Mac! Neither faster nor slower heh

Reply 5 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's with the original post implying lots of downloading? We don't support illegally downloaded software or rips here. "8mb windows rip version" does not legally exist.

apsosig.png
long live PCem