VOGONS

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been testing the installation of Windows 2 with PCem, and I have two issues, but I don't know if they're my fault.

I'm using PCem 0.7, with Amstrad PC2086 BIOS (the BIOS are from the MESS set) using a virtual IDE XT controller with an "almost" ST225 (I've used the CHS configuration of an ST225 to create the disk). I've used six disk images from a user of that machine.

The installation went fine. I've used spanish keyboard, VGA video card and "built-in" mouse. The issues I have are:

- Windows splash screen shows a garbled screen. Not to worry, once Windows has started everything looks good.

- The vertical axis of the mouse is inverted. I move the mouse up, the cursor moves down. The horizontal axis works OK. It doesn't matter if I load MOUSE.COM or not.

May it be a wrong mouse configuration? If so, what kind of mouse is correct for those computers?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 5, by remax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:

- The vertical axis of the mouse is inverted. I move the mouse up, the cursor moves down. The horizontal axis works OK.

Same problem for me with the latest PCEm, PC3086 and Amstrad Mouse Driver 7.04 in MS Works 2 and Vgados

Reply 2 of 5, by remax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed it with a quick and perhaps dirty hack : i just changed a "ymouse += y" by a "ymouse -= y" in the last SVN PCEm source... It works as intended but i don't know if it was faulty emulation or if i just hide a software bug...

If anyone interessed, i can upload the build.

Reply 3 of 5, by nrnugteren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
remax wrote:

I fixed it with a quick and perhaps dirty hack : i just changed a "ymouse += y" by a "ymouse -= y" in the last SVN PCEm source... It works as intended but i don't know if it was faulty emulation or if i just hide a software bug...

If anyone interessed, i can upload the build.

And here I am, thinking I was the only crazy guy that tried installing Windows 2.x on an Amstrad ^^
So what I am basically trying to accomplish, from a study and research perspective, is emulate the PC of around that time (Amstrad PC1512), with the MS-DOS and Windows versions of around that time (knowing that GEM instead of Win was supplied with the PC, but my focus in this case lies on the various Win-setups).
I managed to accomplish the same with an IBM AT, MS-DOS 2.x and Windows 1.x, which worked surprisingly well even.

My current specs for this Win 2.x setup:
Host: Win 8
PCem: 8.1
Guest: MS-DOS 3.2 with Windows 2.03

And now of course, I ran into the same problem as you did, the inverted mouse movement.
I have no programming skills, so applying your interesting hack to the source would cost me quite some time I'm afraid.

Any chance you could help me out with this? I'd really much appreciate it.