VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lordwindowlicker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been attempting to capture high resolution video from Dosbox for a series of videos that I am producing. As far as I can tell I can't use the built in video capture function of Dosbox to get anything other than the natural resolution of the games, so I've decided to try using FRAPS.

The problem with FRAPS and dosbox is that when I move the cursor in the games from which I'm trying to capture video (In this case, the classic Leisure Suit Larry games) I get this odd sound stutter that ruins the footage. Is there anything that can be done in the settings? I'd appreciate any assistance.

Reply 2 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use DOSBox to capture, then scale the video using your Video Editing software.

And please, aspect ratio correct it to 4:3. 99% of YT videos have the wrong aspect ratio.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm you can import the DOSBox footage into avidemux or virtualdub and render into divx or xvid. You can do the resize and aspect ratio during this step and also adjust the fps.

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 17, by Uriel_Dagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a video of what I can do with Fraps at 75fps... I could barely move the mouse pointer around without the game practically screeching to a halt before.

http://youtu.be/TBuEk0qZUb8

Reply 7 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool!

At least in window mode, Bandicam works fine for me 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vHZSZtGc4

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 17, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, Howler's the name!

Now that it's possible, I'd like to speak my thanks to Qbix for creating DOSBox and VDMSound--both programs that have served me very well over the years--at no cost even!

I apologize if asking for help on post number one is looked down upon here (and a slight bump to boot!), but I'm hard-pressed to find a solution to a problem that is very similar to the one in this thread, and have had no success trying to resolve it up to this point. If it's something isolated enough to warrant it's own thread, then let it be.

Anyway, I can record DOSBox video using the built-in recorder without issue, but I want something a bit more optimal for high resolutions.

I'm grabbing footage for System Shock, which supports high(er) resolutions, and I want to make use of them if possible. But even tested on an Intel I7, running with an SSD (so data writing speed shouldn't be the issue) the best I can capture is 320x400 30FPS.

Essentially, there's 3 ways I could go about it, but I need some input for 2 of them:

1.) If I can somehow capture compressed footage with Dosbox's built in recorder... I don't think this is possible, but people here would know better than I.

2.) If there is a way to capture the Windows XP command prompt, then I could get the performance I really want, but as far as I've tried, it seems impossible. If anybody knows about some old-ass program or way to trick the command prompt into displaying D3D, OpenGL, or windowed mode, that's probably all I need, but that's hinging on anybody actually dealing with the command prompt anymore. 😜

3.) I could just forget about it, record the native resolution (for that old-school feel, that's what I'll tell 'em!), and wish you all a nice day. 😀

This game really needs a source port, namely because it just flat-out deserves it, but also because if it had one, I'd have no issue at all!

Anyway, thanks for reading, sorry if the info I'm looking for is already somewhere here in the site... and have good times everybody.

Edit: and you can bet I'll force whatever I need to into 4:3!

Reply 9 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the game, so I can't test it. Waiting for GOG.com to release it so I can do a Tweakguide video on it 😀

But as you can see in my Wing Commander III video, 640 x 480 capture is no problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1kD567PuFQ

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 17, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

...Waiting for GOG.com to release...

Man, that'll be the day...

Good to know the DOSBox recorder isn't just limited to the native resolution; I have my suspicions that DOSBox just has to work a lot harder on System Shock--maybe to emulate its 3D?

By the way, I like your voice, if you don't mind me saying--it seems kinda' radio-esque, heh.

Reply 11 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣

I should have explained this a bit better.

The first part in the video is DOSBox. I use bandicam to capture DOSBox in window mode and show some tweaks to the config file.

The full-screen game footage is from a real MS-DOS Gaming PC. A Pentium MMX 233 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 17, by Licentious Howler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*My own personal facepalm*

It should've occurred to me you were using a legitimate legacy PC by your sig, several videos on your channel, and other topics here... it's just so foreign to me I kind of forgot...!

I commend the dedication behind your build, and also for jogging my mind; I hadn't considered external capture yet (largely because I'll have to save up for it,) but I have an old Pentium III that I could have do the game work, and the modern PC can take the video... it might be worth it if I shop smart...

Reply 14 of 17, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im able to film DOSBOX with fraps when I set the frameskip to 2 in the DOSBOX config. This allow my game to be filmed at full screen. Because the frameskip doesn't work well in some other game, I now use Hypercam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c_FzJhqgnk (Mortal Kombat Trilogy, filmed with Fraps)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperDave341?feature=mhee

My Youtube Channel for PC/DOS Gameplays, Mortal Kombat and Glitch Related Video

Reply 15 of 17, by Uriel_Dagda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been testing extensively and learning a lot about FRAPS and Dosbox interactions.. Here is what I have found out needs to be done.

Play the game in a window using DDraw. You can double the resolution if the window is too small. Set FRAPS to record at 70fps. It seems most DOS games run at 35Hz and DOSbox can double that if you move the mouse pointer around very fast.

FRAPS will only recognize DDraw in a window, and not fullscreen.. The only way (to record with FRAPS fullscreen) is using OpenGL, and OpenGL is the CAUSE of all the slowdown that happens when FRAPS isn't even recording.. With DDraw, it only happens when recording lower than 70fps. I'm not sure if different games might require a different FPS setting... This is how the lines read for Might and Magic World of Xeen for me under [sdl]:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=desktop
windowresolution=1280x960
output=ddraw

Here is a test video of Might and Magic III using those parameters (except it's slightly different aspect ratio, 1280x800).

http://youtu.be/mrdZtcr40nM

Just to clarify, the only way FRAPS will recognize DOSBox is with OpenGL (window and fullscreen) and DirectDraw (window only).

Reply 17 of 17, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is not FRAPS, but I recommend a capturer for DOSBOX.

Daum pot player (freeware)
http://get.daum.net/PotPlayer/Beta/PotPlayerSetup.exe
(This "Daum" doesn't mean you should use "Daum Version" of DOSBOX.)

This program was originally for movie player. But after this program support online video broadcasting,
have another function. "Offline Video capturer"

This video is made by this video player. (Windows XP, e2180, cpu capture. 640*480. Better PC, better result.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxS0ddULd_Q&fe … player_embedded

1. After install and run this, press F5 for configuration. You can select capture area and resolution.
(Must do once, but option only need "capture area" for now)
file.php?mode=view&id=14391&sid=5397c2179b462ca7da7244282e0304ce

2. Finish configuration, press Ctrl+S call camera viewer, For DOSBOX, Game capture is good.
(whatever full screen or windows this program captures whole thing, don't concern ingame resolution.)

3. Final, Alt+C for call saving option. Change options as you love to. Press start to begin.
file.php?mode=view&id=14392&sid=5397c2179b462ca7da7244282e0304ce

(What better than FRAP is 1. No Big HDD space 2. H/W encoding support like Nvidia NVENC(AKA shadowplay, need GTX6XX)
but, CUDA is not good. BAD : No 1920*1080, MAX resolution is 1440*1080)

Attachments

• cap.png
    Filename
    cap.png
    File size
    27.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    f5.png
    File size