Ykhwong's Daum Build and OSX

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 69, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sounds great! Thanks to you as well for investing so much time in this 😉
(All for those 10 people who use Dosbox on a Mac of which 5 want to use the advanced yhkwong built 😉)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 41 of 69, by Red32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the file with Wrapper: http://www.sendspace.com/file/l5koij
In fact it's not enough good release.
/*There is no glide (and perhaps other features) maybe because there are still some links inside dosbox to the /opt/local/lib ...*/ --SOLVED
C: mounted to ./Contents/Resources/DriveC/

There are a some issues that I can't handle:
1) It can't run in applescript via "do shell script". It requires to be opened in Terminal. With original dosbox I can run it via "do shell script" applescript without telling nothing to Terminal.app: do shell script "/Users/Red/Desktop/DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox ; exit;"
2) Requires libraries and they are not built-in
3) Bad mapping of keyboard in MacOS. It works only with US keyboard layout.
4) I didn't get the scaling. And I think that it's not the issue of libraries...
5) Doesn't work in Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Illegal instructions). Not so bad for me...

Last edited by Red32 on 2014-01-19, 05:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 42 of 69, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I guess at some point I should do a built ofTaewoongs stuff 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 69, by Red32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have that thought too 😀 I've sent him a letter. Maybe he is relinking libraries now and it takes a lot of time. I even have utility and checker for that purpose 😀

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mjbix0
you can use that. process_libs is not perfect. Use "logger" to determine the problems and is not so good with subfolders....
it generates .sh script on a desktop and you can run it. Ignore mach-o and architecture errors.

Reply 44 of 69, by Red32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

I guess at some point I should do a built ofTaewoongs stuff 😀

I've solved the glide problems. I set environment variables on run, but I have to be on the *.app/Contents/MacOS folder with executable to set export LIBS='@executable_path/../Resources/LIBS/libtbb.dylib'
I've added cd to MacOS folder on the startup script.

Link us updated: http://www.sendspace.com/file/l5koij

Reply 45 of 69, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Red32 wrote:

Soon I can upload that version when I'll define the best method to run and when I'll choose place for .conf file and DriveC

I think something like "/users/username/Application Support/Daum Cafe" would be best location,
but the package I've downloaded lately comes with an empty "SAVE" folder, which also could probably be used for the .conf file and DriveC part.

Klimawandel.

Reply 46 of 69, by Red32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:
Red32 wrote:

Soon I can upload that version when I'll define the best method to run and when I'll choose place for .conf file and DriveC

I think something like "/users/username/Application Support/Daum Cafe" would be best location,
but the package I've downloaded lately comes with an empty "SAVE" folder, which also could probably be used for the .conf file and DriveC part.

I meant about the place inside the .app bundle. It's not an Apple way to run applications to put something outside the bundle. For example I've many dos games wrapped with dosbox inside separate bundle. It has its own config and own DriveC. I can easy to move my games/apps, I can easy to share games/apps.

I've already uploaded OSXDosBoxWrapper Ykhwong and DriveC is inside the bundle in "Resources" folder and there is a dosbox.conf file.

Reply 47 of 69, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

.app files are not supposed to be self modifying, so the conf file must not be put inside.
Application Support is also not the proper location (a config file is not really a supporting file). The MT32 roms should be put there though.
Configuration files should go in ~/Library/Preferences

Reply 48 of 69, by Red32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what purposes?
I put .conf file inside .app because I can wrap a game inside .app and set in .conf file setting to run exactly this game. Then I easily share this game, copy to another computer with OS X and run without .conf files in the system folders. And you need to do nothing to run this .app. Just click. Then I can copy .app bundle and create .app for another game with it's own settings.... Don't understand your logic about ".app files are not supposed to be self modifying, so the conf file must not be put inside."

When you use Wineskin it has own separate settings for each wrapper and its own DriveC space inside the .app and you modify it for running one windows application. I keep it that way.
I understand that some native applications put configs in home folder, but most of these applications wasn't built to run different DOS games...

Reply 49 of 69, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you want to make it one app per dos game you are right. But if you want a general purpose dosbox app then Jarvik is right.
And his way is actually more efficient. Put the daum dosbox.app in /Applications and for each game use just an apple script.

Reply 51 of 69, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you write "OSXDOSBoxWrapper", you're talking about this one? A DOSBox Wrapper for OS X

It's called DOSBoxWrapper and creates a folder "DOSBoxDisk" as drive C: setting in your username folder.

Klimawandel.

Reply 53 of 69, by Red32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IIGS_User wrote:

When you write "OSXDOSBoxWrapper", you're talking about this one? A DOSBox Wrapper for OS X

It's called DOSBoxWrapper and creates a folder "DOSBoxDisk" as drive C: setting in your username folder.

IIGS_User, Yes, but it is easy to relink dosbox.conf file to outside folder in applescript, if you experienced to use applescript.

Jarvik7, Taewoong said that he's busy last days, but he'll take a look at this thread soon. I'll try to create Xcode project with his sources and try to do something with this, but I don't guarantee that it will have positive result.

Reply 54 of 69, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just successfully compiled a binary for i386-apple-darwin with static libraries except libtbb.

Here is the LIBS variable that I set for the compilation. Some libraries had to be manually built without the use of MacPorts.

LIBS=-framework IOKit -framework OpenGL -framework Carbon -framework ApplicationServices /opt/local/lib/libSDL_sound.a libtbb.dylib -framework CoreAudio -framework CoreMidi -framework AudioToolbox -framework AudioUnit -L/opt/local/lib /opt/local/lib/libSDLmain.a -Wl,-framework,AppKit /opt/local/lib/libSDL.a -Wl,-framework,Cocoa /opt/local/lib/libpng.a /opt/local/lib/libz.a -L/opt/local/lib /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.a /opt/local/lib/libz.a /opt/local/lib/libbz2.a /opt/local/lib/libpng16.a /opt/local/lib/libpcap.a /opt/local/lib/libSDL_net.a /opt/local/lib/libX11.a /opt/local/lib/libfluidsynth.a /opt/local/lib/libphysfs.a /opt/local/lib/libz.a /opt/local/lib/libflac.a /opt/local/lib/libogg.a /opt/local/lib/libmodplug.a /opt/local/lib/libspeex.a /opt/local/lib/libvorbis.a /opt/local/lib/libxcb.a /opt/local/lib/libvorbisfile.a /opt/local/lib/libvorbisenc.a /opt/local/lib/libportaudio.a /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.a /opt/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.a /opt/local/lib/libreadline.a /opt/local/lib/libsndfile.a /opt/local/lib/libjack.a /opt/local/lib/libXrandr.a /opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.a /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a /opt/local/lib/libintl.a /opt/local/lib/libtermcap.a /opt/local/lib/libXext.a /opt/local/lib/libXrender.a /opt/local/lib/libXau.a /opt/local/lib/libXdmcp.a

Reply 55 of 69, by Jarvik7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to build using the prebuilt SDL.framework & sdl_net.framework runtimes from the SDL site instead of the bare dylibs?
Also, someone said x11 isn't required as SDL can use the native GUI.
No X11 is obviously preferable, but if it really is needed, can't the official xquartz install be used? (OSX will automatically prompt the user to install if it's not already)

Those 2 would be a big step to simplifying the build process I think.

http://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php
http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_net/
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

Unfortunately my work PC is not a Mac, otherwise I'd take a shot at it myself.

Reply 56 of 69, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

X11/quartz is not needed for dosbox but that means SDL needs to be built without it. Using the static linking is better because everything is in the binary, no dylibs.
One could use the frameworks but only the SDL stuff has those. Static building everything is nicer 😉

Taewoong: where does libtbb come from that you can't static link it?