VOGONS

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am setting up a 486 box. I installed DOS 6.22 and got the proper SCIS drivers for CD-ROM in place fine. I then installed Windows 95C to make file grabbing easier (FTP, web over ethernet with GUI).

I hadn't recalled how this worked, so many years ago did I last do it. I see Windows 95 commandeered the AUTOEXEC.BAT and none of the commands in C:\DOS work anymore (wrong version).

I want to use this machine primarily for DOS -- Win 95 will be used almost never. How do I get things back to the state where I boot into DOS, with Windows only being invoked from the DOS prompt ("win" would still work, right)? I have yet to install my Gravis UltraSound drivers in DOS. Not even sure where its would place its enteries for AUTOEXEC, CONFIG now...

How do I re-DOSify this DOS machine that I want to occasionally run Win95 on?

Thanks.

bp

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boot W98SE boot flopy
format C: /q /u/ s
🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

/u = Unconditional. No unformat / going back 😀
/u = Quick format

I always found hybrid Windows / DOS machines challenging.

There is a DOSSTART.BAT which gets loaded when you enter MS-DOS mode. Here you can load a lot of things.

In general I recommend you go away from fixed installed drivers and just using batch files to load what you need, when you need.

I have changed this also on my machines.

By default it only loads the CD driver and and get a boot menu the memory options.

Then I have batch files for:

• Logitech mouse driver
  • CT Mouse driver
  • SB 1.5
  • SB 2.0
  • SB Pro 2
  • SB 16
  • SB AWE 64
  • Audician
  • ESS Audio Drive
  • Microsoft CD driver
  • FreeDos CD driver
  • CDBQ

Also has the benefits that I can connect this drive into another machine and be up and running ASAP.

So the CD driver will be loaded in the main CONFIG.SYS so that it is available to MS-DOS.

Sound Blaster PnP cards you have to set the resources from within Windows. The more cards, the harder time you will have 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I might do something similar. Because of the Voodoo 2, I believe that the settings you configure under Windows (refresh rate, gamma, colours, position) "stick" also for MS-DOS mode.

Because under DOS some parts of the image are "cut off" so to speak. I want to find out if this can be solved by having the Windows driver.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 13, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm. So there's no way to setup the orig AUTOEXEC and CONFIG and boot there, and then enter a command to launch Win95? No way to default boot to DOS 6.22? Does the F8 boot trick only work with 98?

So, as the system is now, what would be the drill to installed the GUS software. After Exit to DOS run the installer, and then it would install entries where? Surely it doesn't know of DOSSTART.BAT. It would go to AUTOEXEC, right? But that seems wrong.

Hmmm. Alternatively.... Is there a package that works with this EtherLink III that would give me FTP and (ideally, also) text browser? Some kind of DOS TCP/IP stack I could use to not need Windows at all?

My IDEAL world would be me booting into DOS 6.22 like the initial setup, and then being able to type Win at need and have 95 kick in.

Oy. Thanks. Snow day here, so would be nice to get some progress on this setup while I have time off!

bp

Reply 6 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You type EXIT and it should get you back to Windows I believe.

But really I haven't done such an installation in a long time. There was an option to dual boot as well.

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blakespot wrote:

I am setting up a 486 box. I installed DOS 6.22 and got the proper SCIS drivers for CD-ROM in place fine. I then installed Windows 95C to make file grabbing easier (FTP, web over ethernet with GUI).

If you installed DOS 6.22 and then installed Windows 95C on top of it, then they should in fact be co-existing quite nicely.

When you start your computer, do you see a line that says "Starting Windows 95.." ? Do you have files in C:\ named AUTOEXEC.DOS and CONFIG.DOS? If so, try pressing F8 repeatedly as your computer is booting up, and you should get a menu including an option that lets you boot to a previous version of MS-DOS.

Reply 8 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wouldn't it be much more convenient to add
BootMulti=1
to the msdos.sys file?

You can also add
BootMenu=1
to enable the boot menu by default where you can choose the old DOS 6.22 version. So you don't have to press F8 each time.

You can also add
BootMenuDefault=Number
to select the option to boot the old DOS version by default.

You can also add
BootMenuDelay=10
to boot the old DOS then automatically by default after a short time....

To do a new format is the least option to do. There are plenty more ways to step back to another DOS version.
The easiest is to overwrite the corresponding boot files with ones of the older version. (Replace)
Second would be to boot from a disk of the appropriate version and do a sys a: c:.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

Wouldn't it be much more convenient to add
BootMulti=1
to the msdos.sys file?

Sure, but if I'm not mistaken, that won't work unless Windows has been specifically configured to use it at installation.

Actually, http://www.mdgx.com/osr2.htm#2BOOT suggests a bit of tweaking is needed. (I should say I've only ever done it with Windows 98, personally.)

The official reference at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118579 is also useful.

elianda wrote:

Second would be to boot from a disk of the appropriate version and do a sys a: c:.

I think "sys c:" will do.

Reply 10 of 13, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
blakespot wrote:

If you installed DOS 6.22 and then installed Windows 95C on top of it, then they should in fact be co-existing quite nicely.

When you start your computer, do you see a line that says "Starting Windows 95.." ? Do you have files in C:\ named AUTOEXEC.DOS and CONFIG.DOS? If so, try pressing F8 repeatedly as your computer is booting up, and you should get a menu including an option that lets you boot to a previous version of MS-DOS.

This worked, got do DOS 6.22 -- but it hangs on rebooting.

Apparently you can boot to previous DOS version ONCE, and then can't ever get back to Windows! (Digging around on the net it seems this is the case). What kind of sense did an option like that make for MS to put in there???

Am I missing something? Do I now need to wipe and re-install all?

bp

Reply 11 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The link I included in my last post discusses the fix for the "only once" problem. Try the "unofficial fix" at the end.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120710144555/htt … kb/155364/EN-US suggests you can boot back into Windows for now by using "sys c:" from a Win95c boot disk.

Like I said, I haven't messed with this directly, but I'm confident you can get this going without having to wipe everything.

Reply 12 of 13, by ryaxnb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are three ways to do this:
BootMulti=1, which requires manual configuration and is cumbersome and limited, but works OK on Win95 950 (first edition)... less good on 95B/C. A good idea if you can get your hands on 95/95A. It's worth noting DOS 6.22 can not boot win95 , under any circumstances. To use win95 once in dos 6, reboot and choose Win95 from the boot menu, than to back to dos 6, reboot again and choose "previous MSDOS version".
CONFIG.SYS multimenus -- these let you choose a configuration at boot time, but you'll still be using the DOS 7.x kernel. These menus are documented in DOSHELP. They let you choose a configuration between several choices. Set BOOTgui=0 in MSDOS.sys to force DOS7.x to boot to command prompt, and use multimenus or simply set a DOS friendly configuration that also works in win95 (i.e. Config.sys/AUTOEXEC.BAT files that also work in the GUI as well as in DOS -- most files actually work fine for the GUI). Type WIN to boot windows and choose "reboot in msdos mode" to go back to dos. Some prog rams may have issues with DOS 7 so you may need to use utiltiies like LOCKDRV or patch Win3.11 to run.
BootIT NG/BareMetal: This $30 utility (30 day trial) includes up to 128 primary partitions booting and also the support to "multi-os" -- boot unlimited amounts of win9x/DOS/NT versions from one FAT partition. it swaps the configuration and bootloader files out on bootup, and is fully user configurable -- you can set multiple DOS 7 entries that use the same kernel but different AUTOEXEC, CONFIG.SYS, and MSDOS.SYS files, for instance, or a MSDOS 6 and MSDOS 7/Win9x entry.
DOS Network drivers -- the mTCP stack is good. Use a packet driver for your card.

Reply 13 of 13, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks.

I am getting along happily with (free) System Commander 7. Details here:

Trying to dual boot DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 on same drive

bp