VOGONS

First post, by Zed

User metadata

Hello all,

When trying to play the game "Z" under DOSbox 0.61, I get an error:
"Unable to change to Z:\Z"

I'm suspecting this is because the drive letter Z: is already in use. Is it possible to mount the systools on another driveletter like Y? Some games do use Z: as a memory spool or other function.

Thanks!

- Zed

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read the documentation!!!!

mount c c:\
C:
ETC 😠

Reply 2 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

Read my post, i'm asking to unmount the pre-mounted Z: which covers the sysutilities like mount itself.

If I didn't mount anything, i also couldn't launch a game, now would I?

Anyone know if unmounting the pre-mounted Z: is possible? Or maybe let it mount on a different drive letter...

Reply 3 of 9, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's impossible to unmount Z:.

Reply 4 of 9, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played Z without any problems years ago on my computer, and I used the LASTDRIVE=G aswell so I never had a Z. So I don't think Z:\ in DOSBox is the problem, but your config.

Reply 5 of 9, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeh i think there are some fucked up Z rips around that subst the cd drive to z:\ or something, but who cares for crappy rips

Reply 6 of 9, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always edit .bat file and change z to something else

Reply 7 of 9, by Guest

User metadata

It is a .exe not a .bat unfortunately, and the original .exe gives a DMPI error. 🙁

But i can try LASTDRIVE=x environment variable. But i guess the Z: is hardcoded. Nevertheless, Z is used by lots of other games or rips. Why is there no option to pre-mount on another drive letter?

Reply 8 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really doubt "Z" by Bitmap Brothers need a Z: drive to operate. Seems like a crappy cd-rip to me.

Reply 9 of 9, by Zed

User metadata

The original Z doesn't require this, no. And i will search for a proper rip. And yes I do own the original Z, but my CD is scratched as hell. After all this time i felt like playing Z again and it is playable according to the DOSBox supported games database.

Just thought it would be nice to have a command line option to specify where to pre-mount the system utilities. Because other games *do* require Z:, it is hardcoded in the .EXE's. Thats bad, i know, but nonetheless a command line option for DOSBox might be nice. I'm sure it's really not that difficult to implement.

Thanks. 😀