VOGONS

First post, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a couple online orders to go before I think I will have a balanced retro system to specify here, but I think it may prompt helpful discussion bringing up whatever we ended up leaving out of our retro builds and our reasons for doing so. This is not talking about poor hardware you picked up that in hindsight was needless: I noticed that topic in another forum discussion. Rather, this is otherwise useful hardware that, for one reason or another, could not make the cut. I will lead...

Roland MT-32: was partial to the second model because only one game I am interested in (Wing Commander) used the bugs of the first model, not enough to be worth an investment; then besides the fact that the second model is much harder to find than the original, when I got my LAPC-I I realized I had the best of all worlds anyway

Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16: was interested because of its cleaner digital sound and almost as wide support as the industry standard Sound Blaster 16, but with a powerful enough processor and an AWE64 in my setup I realized this was redundant (not that I could spare the ISA slot anyway)

Gravis Ultrasound: my research was fairly-conclusive that, if you have a powerful-enough Windows processor, none of these cards matter as much as their hype may say otherwise; whenever I want to experience the Gravis soundfonts in the Apogee and id games that used them I find DOSBox emulation to be quite sufficient

Roland GS cards: I had considered all of them at one point or another (preferably the daughtercard in order to save taking up another ISA slot), finally figuring I would rather go for the easier-to-find (and less expensive) SC-55 for its support of the original GS extensions that at least 5 games I know of use and only sound exactly right with the original module; according to my research, all the GS cards and the SC-55B changed the extensions slightly, not to mention their functions, in order to accommodate the General MIDI standard

Yamaha XG cards: may be much easier to find and less expensive than anything Roland, but this is usually a matter of taste and I was no different, plus almost no games were designed specifically for the XG standard

Ensoniq Soundscape Elite: I really, really wanted this because recordings online made it clear LucasArts games using General MIDI sounded absolutely beautiful with this thing, but it was impossible to find anything save the AudioPCI and, in the end, I realized I would only enjoy its use in a couple LucasArts games and lacked the additional slot anyway, so I will just live with Roland GS MIDI (which is most likely what these games were originally designed for anyway)

Rendition Verite cards: while the Diamond release of the V2100 is easy to find, I realized I would only be using it for games that are better on 3dfx; this was actually the card I most recently decided to cut from investing in because I had only one PCI slot left and figured the it would be best-utilized for the compatibility offered by my S3 ViRGE/325

PowerVR PCX cards: I had already decided on the 3dfx standard and figured these cards did not have anything unique to offer that made them worthwhile, plus they seem to be impossible to find

Post-AWE64 Sound Blasters: figured I am not interested in utilizing EAX extensions on my retro build, all the games taking advantage of them work fine on my modern desktop (which is the one with the 5.1 setup anyway)

ATI 3D cards: yeah, right; it was definitely NVidia setting the standard after 3dfx died, and Truform seems to be finicky

Network card: I do have a 3Com that came with the computer (so I may temporarily replace my S3 card if I need to do a file transfer), but retro games tended to do multiplayer over serial connections instead of ethernet

Would love to hear your thoughts. Any major disagreement? Please, discuss this and your own.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, AWE64, S220, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.1-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 2 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello BaronSFel001, I see you are new here? Welcome to Vogons 😀

I'm not sure what your question is though, could you please elaborate?

I'll try to understand what your question is and I suppose it's mainly where my cutoff point was when it comes to collecting hardware?

Well for me the cutoff point was with AT and ATX (clone) towers. Anything that doesn't fit in either of these 2 I simply don't collect or keep.
Also stuff that's simply too expensive I don't even try to find (I'd rather find something that's somewhat special, but not too expensive).
And I could add that my main point of interest is in retrogaming and the hardware that's (loosely) associated with retrogaming.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 7, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, inadvertently thought the two were related and I failed to catch the specific forum.

I guess my point in this was to help serve as a guide for others in the retro system endeavor by pointing out reasons for our own decisions on specific hardware, thus aid in the making of informed decisions. No one can necessarily have it all, so the weighing of options has to be one of the most important considerations, I think.

Anyway, I was trying to prompt discussion on the matter, not necessarily asking any questions for my own benefit.

Reply 4 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picking parts depend a lot on the game. For example to play old Sierra games, a LAPC-I or CM-32L is the wrong choice and needs a MT-32 (Old). Pinball games sound best with a GUS and later General MIDI games you want to have a SC-55.

So it really depends on what you want to play. Every game is different. Personally I stick with Creative and Roland and that works well for me. Others like to venture out and use more exotic solutions.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 7, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly what I had in mind. Creative and Roland were definitely THE standards, the same reason I invested in 3dfx cards. My other considerations were what was even better than standard while having enough support to be worth a retro investment, which is the reason I am going for Aureal instead of Creative for the Windows gaming side (though still keeping an ISA Creative card for DOS compatibility). Unfortunately not every attempt is a hit on this, like wanting to use Ensoniq for DOS MIDI or finding out everything needed (and not needed) about Gravis Ultrasound.

Good point about the MT-32, which is exactly what I want to make sure is considered. Turns out I am more of fan of Microprose and LucasArts than of Sierra, so a CM-32/LAPC-I is not only fine but preferred due to some games taking advantage of the additional effects.

Reply 6 of 7, by Mr. Bluntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BaronSFel001 wrote:

Roland GS cards: I had considered all of them at one point or another (preferably the daughtercard in order to save taking up another ISA slot), finally figuring I would rather go for the easier-to-find (and less expensive) SC-55 for its support of the original GS extensions that at least 5 games I know of use and only sound exactly right with the original module; according to my research, all the GS cards and the SC-55B changed the extensions slightly, not to mention their functions, in order to accommodate the General MIDI standard

Yamaha XG cards: may be much easier to find and less expensive than anything Roland, but this is usually a matter of taste and I was no different, plus almost no games were designed specifically for the XG standard

In a recent search on eBay anything other than SC modules and maybe a small handful of XG rackmount modules are nigh impossible to find. There was a non-working SCC-1 listed. For a cool $449...

Where have you been looking for your hardware?

*αlpha*
Core i5 3570 - 4GB DDR3-1600 - Z77SL50K - GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 2TB HDD - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
*βeta*
Opteron 180 - 2GB DDR-400 - 2x GeForce 7800 GTX 256 - DFI NF4 SLI - 250GB HDD - Windows Vista